Why become a member? ×

marshall bass amps

lettsguitars

Marshall bass amps aren`t bad at all. From the MB range, I`ve had the 4210 combo, the 450 head, plus 410 & 115 cab, and still have the MB15 practice amp. For the money new, the MB range is good, used it is extremely good value.

And you`ll see from my signature that I`m selling some Marshall gear. Not that I don`t like it - I do, all their bass gear is great in my opinion - I`m just downsizing due to not being able to cart the heavy stuff about anymore.

Think Marshall have the reputation of not making good bass gear because they excel at guitar amps for rock, and the assumption is that if a company excels at one area, anything else they try won`t be any good. Shame really, I`ve used Marshall bass gear for years, and never had a problem with it.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1135838' date='Feb 21 2011, 05:24 PM']Marshall bass amps aren`t bad at all. From the MB range, I`ve had the 4210 combo, the 450 head, plus 410 & 115 cab, and still have the MB15 practice amp. For the money new, the MB range is good, used it is extremely good value.

And you`ll see from my signature that I`m selling some Marshall gear. Not that I don`t like it - I do, all their bass gear is great in my opinion - I`m just downsizing due to not being able to cart the heavy stuff about anymore.

Think Marshall have the reputation of not making good bass gear because they excel at guitar amps for rock, and the assumption is that if a company excels at one area, anything else they try won`t be any good. Shame really, I`ve used Marshall bass gear for years, and never had a problem with it.[/quote]
hmm. thanks for that. if i do it'll be new. i know a guy at keynes and he told me they dont care about the bass side of things which i found rather strange. i guess the parts are all marshall quality though. i was just annoyed that they they only have one tube amp which is a tad expensive. and all i want is a volume knob and a graphic.

Through a friend of a friend, I was informed that the MB series was made overseas, and when it came in to the UK, it all had to be checked over and all the errors sorted, prior to it going out for sale. Apparently they spent ages doing this, hence them not liking the range. Nothing to do with product defect, all to do with shoddy initial assembly.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1136228' date='Feb 21 2011, 08:46 PM']Through a friend of a friend, I was informed that the MB series was made overseas, and when it came in to the UK, it all had to be checked over and all the errors sorted, prior to it going out for sale. Apparently they spent ages doing this, hence them not liking the range. Nothing to do with product defect, all to do with shoddy initial assembly.[/quote]
ooh interesting. i'll ask about that. you're probably right. f***in cheapskates. i hope they lost money for having to check everything.

I've got a MB 4210 and I'm really pleased with it, powerful and LOUD especially with a 15" extension cab, but build quality is an issue, the first one I had got exchanged by Marshall because of faults and the replacement had a broken spade connector on one of the speakers which I fixed myself, since then had no trouble at all.

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1137748' date='Feb 22 2011, 09:20 PM']The bigger MB combos have the something something head two channel pre-amp witha tube in the vinatage channel don't they?

Seems worth a look![/quote]
you're right, but it seems a bit half arsed. whats vintage about tubes apart from they've been around for a long time and have stood the test of time. i want something to warm my hands on during winter gigs.
yorick. gotta be a new un i'm afraid.

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1137748' date='Feb 22 2011, 09:20 PM']The bigger MB combos have the something something head two channel pre-amp witha tube in the vinatage channel don't they?

Seems worth a look![/quote]

Yeah there's 1 preamp valve in the vintage channel which gives a valve sort of sound and a control for mixing the 2 channels together, far too much chioce for me I'm afraid I just use the modern channel :)

I have an MB series 30w practice combo which was pretty cheap to buy but has a really nice tone and sounded much better than any other practice amp in the shop even the more expensive ones. My Fender P sounds really nice through it - nicer than through my current gig amp (Ashdown MAG 300 though I am getting rid of that soon :)).

Edited by Algae

[quote name='Algae' post='1138241' date='Feb 23 2011, 10:06 AM']I have an MB series 30w practice combo which was pretty cheap to buy but has a really nice tone and sounded much better than any other practice amp in the shop even the more expensive ones. My Fender P sounds really nice through it - nicer than through my current gig amp (Ashdown MAG 300 though I am getting rid of that soon :)).[/quote]
sold a mag 300 sometime ago. great amps, but heavy? you betcha!

i got shot of my mb45h and cabs.the build quality is awful on the cabs all the speakers kept working themselves loose and the pcb is of rubbish design.and if you use the two mb cabs together its a 2ohm load therr times my head went into thermal shut down.so im now back using peavey gear that runs at 2ohm all day with no problems

The MB stuff is surprisingly good for the price tag. The vintage channel is more like a distortion/overdrive and it can be blended with the clean (modern) channel. Valve pre-amp, good selection of tones = lot of amp for the money. Like anything made to a budget though; push em too hard and you'll encounter faults.

[quote name='danhkr' post='1141147' date='Feb 25 2011, 01:02 PM']The MB stuff is surprisingly good for the price tag. The vintage channel is more like a distortion/overdrive and it can be blended with the clean (modern) channel. Valve pre-amp, good selection of tones = lot of amp for the money. Like anything made to a budget though; push em too hard and you'll encounter faults.[/quote]

You can only blend on the Head and biggest combos,

I'd like to play one i think!

I've never had any problems with my MB4210. The blend feature is fantastic, allowing me the well defined and deep modern channel with a bit of grind from the vintage channel. Occasionally I have gigged with the MBC115 extension cab, but I don't need it most of the time.

I went through 2 Ashdowns and a Gallien Krueger before getting this setup which has been more reliable and gives me the felixibilty and tones I want, all at a very good price point. The one downside is it is frakking heavy!

Edited by leonshelley01

[quote name='leonshelley01' post='1142814' date='Feb 26 2011, 08:55 PM']I've never had any problems with my MB4210. The blend feature is fantastic, allowing me the well defined and deep modern channel with a bit of grind from the vintage channel. Occasionally I have gigged with the MBC115 extension cab, but I don't need it most of the time.

I went through 2 Ashdowns and a Gallien Krueger before getting this setup which has been more reliable and gives me the felixibilty and tones I want, all at a very good price point. The one downside is it is frakking heavy![/quote]

Thats why i'm at Gallien Krueger ATM one not played a Marshall (though that'll soon change hopefully!) And i need a light weight rig