Why become a member? ×

Noel Redding bass lines

Blademan_98

When you play Hendrix stuff do you detune to Eb as Noel did (or so I am led to believe) or do you play it on a 5 string?

We now have four Hendrix songs in the set and the Guitarist is thinking of taking an extra guitar along tuned to Eb.

Up until now we have played them in standard tuning and they have sounded fine.

What are your thoughts?

Blademan

For practical reasons staying in standard tuning is perfectly logical, but there's something about those slack strings that neither a 5 string or standard tuning replicates. A fine excuse to get another bass if I ever heard one! (plus at least 2 plexi stacks...)

I pretty much never tune down.....barring the occasional drop D if I'm playing a four string (courtesy of a Hipshot
extender key).
I'm not really into the whole 'play it in E instead' thing either-especially if you've got horns involved. I know that
isn't really applicable to Hendrix stuff,but just in general-y'know, stuff like 'Superstition',which just sound so much
better in Eb.

We do get along just fine in standard and that's really where I would prefer to stay.......

I rather do feel akin to Noel as he was a rhythm player who had bass thrust upon him!

Really don't want to go down that route and the singer can perform the songs well now.

It came from racking up more Hendrix tunes and thinking they may sound even better played as recorded.

We will probably stay as we are, I just wanted to know what other more experienced musicians do :)

Thanks for the replies so far!