Why become a member? ×

Meshell Ndegeocello......

bubinga5

Got my hands on Meshell Ndegeocello's new album last week, I know there are a few admirers of this great bass player/musician, on Basschat.. Seems like she's really branching out into new territory, which i do like, but cant help but wish she would bring out something in the vain of Peace Beyond Passion, or Plantation Lullabies again.....Shes one of those musicians who are constantly evolving and pushing forward... Her playing is not that technical but she plays with such feel, and what a tone she gets from that Fodera and Jazz, etc...

Any thoughts?

By the way the album is called 'The world has made me man of my dreams'...check it out..

• 2 weeks later...

Hey man...

Michell's playing is awesome...her time and feel are up ther with the best in my opinion, she's just one hot player. I've got the Plantation Lullabies and Peace Beyound Passion, and every time i listen to them, i just can't get over her playing. Also, the video clips that i've seen have just made me even me a fan of hers, she just has awesome funk within her, love it!!!

I've not heard the new one, only the tunes on here mysapce, sounded a bit Indie to me, i still plan on getting it...was gutted that i couldn't get over to Ireland to see her on her recent tour :) I've also heard the albut with the funky writting on the cover (white background, red writting), she's got Matthew Garrison playing on it...that's an awesome album too!!!

She's definately a wicked player though...you say not the most technically gifted, but i don't know...if you're talking about double-tumbing, 4 finger picking etc, then yeah, your right...but when it comes to grooving, i personally get more from an inspirational point of view, from Meshell's playing, than that over some of todays most technically gifted players. She grooves like very few can in my opinion, take 'make me wanna holler', pure filth ;)

What's your overall thoughts on the album though...has it got some grooves? More of her crazy ranting lyrics? Still trying to work out what she's getting at with some of the Peace Beyound Passion lyrics...lol!!!

Ooo...and for all of her fans on here...i've managed to convert my band too, we've added 'Bittersweet' to our set, sounds sweet :huh:

Yeah Bittersweat, what a song! very uplifting..As for the Lyrics on PBP, some are Political some Religous, some personal(Make me wanna holler) I dont think the album as a whole makes one statement, maybe several!...

The key to Meshells bass playing is her simplicity,IMHO. The new one is not what i had hoped for, but good in respect of a different musical direction and i think musicians should push themselves into new territory..
Your prob aware of this but check out www.freemyheart.com it has all the session albums she has played on.

I want to see her work with Prince,(which i believe she wants to do) now that would be funky!!! :)

Indeed it would...another artisit who i've been listening to a lot recently! Got to see him last year on his tour...what a performer!!!

Yeah, she does have quite a simply approach, but still, some of her grooves are solid man, her feel for the time, i mean, just some of her fills, they're simply as you say, but in some ways...i don't know. I think sometimes it's just that she has such a great feel for the groove that her phrasing is totally unique, that's the best way for me to put it i think, she just has a completely unique feel which i really love!!!

I'll check out that site though mate, thanks for that!!!

I really like the way she plays..... she's gotta be one of my favorite bass players :)
soulful, tasteful & in the pocket.... beautiful sense of groove.....

'I'm digging you'
'if that's your Boyfriend'
'Thankful'
'Bitter'
'Stay' (....those dead notes! )
'luqman' (off 'dance of the infidels')
'the sloganeer'
'virgo'
all great bass parts for very different reasons..... some very minimal but so well placed.... (less is more!)

'make me wanna holler'.....
.... anyone who gets 'my mother used to whore herself... & my father used to reap the benefits of her labours' in as a 1st line of a song, deserves to be listened to!...........
A real unique player, indeed....

I'm one of those long time BC fans. Her lyrics can be a little pretentious at times but there's no escaping her playing. I saw her at the Jazz Cafe a couple of years ago and the incredible diversity of the crowd who showed up was a tribute to the breadth of her appeal.

BTW, when she played that full 99min concert in Switzerland, it was recorded although it hasn't been published yet. You can still see a stream of it here though if you have Realplayer installed.

[url="http://r.bluewin.ch/?id=48859"]http://r.bluewin.ch/?id=48859[/url]

If anyone can capture the stream onto their hard disk, please let me know. I'd love an offline copy.

Yeah Steve, her lyrcis can be a little 'out there'!!! It's interesting to listen to them i think...although, from my religious point of view, i think some of them are questionable, that's when i stop being silly and start listening back to her playing :)

I've enjoyed watching her vids where she's been in the studio, with another bassist...how she interacts with the other player, and plays around him...that's just awesome!!!

I just downloaded the tracks that she played on on Mike Sterns latest album as well as the Soulive track...some wicked playing!!! As we've established...simple yet right on the button groove wise. I've got a lot to learn from her playing!!!

Did anyone get a chance to see her on the current tour?

I think she has had a few problems playing at concerts of late, because she has epilepsy. People being unaware of this and taking alot of flash photography. Tis a good album that Roy Hargrove. Pino Palladino is great on it too!!

Yes her lyrical themes can be strong and out there but thats what makes her interesting IMHO.. :)

She's fab - Dance of the Infidell CD is fantatsic - Matt Garrison is amazing on it too - beautiful funky music!

Meshell also guests on Mike Stern's [b]Who Let The Cats Out[/b] CD - on the track KT:

[url="http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/7246877/a/Who+Let+The+Cats+Out.htm"]http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/...he+Cats+Out.htm[/url]

Other featured bassists on there also include Richad Bona, Anthony Jackson and Chris Minh Doky - it's a good record.

M