Why become a member? ×

SOLD

risingson

[size=3]Hi there,

Nice bass, I've got a few questions:-

1) What's the history of this bass? is it something you aged yourself ?

2) I'm not familiar with this model, what is the origin of manufacture? and year? (if you know).

3) What is the nut width?- is it a 1.75" (44mm), like the 57 p basses

Cheers Neil [/size]

[quote name='orangepeelneil' post='1131835' date='Feb 18 2011, 08:44 AM'][size=3]Hi there,

Nice bass, I've got a few questions:-

1) What's the history of this bass? is it something you aged yourself ?

2) I'm not familiar with this model, what is the origin of manufacture? and year? (if you know).

3) What is the nut width?- is it a 1.75" (44mm), like the 57 p basses

Cheers Neil [/size][/quote]

Hi Neil, I bought this bass off a fellow basschatter less than a year ago, before this I believe he'd bought it off of another guy who was the original owner, he put the bass together. The bass isn't strictly a reissue, but the previous owner referred to it as a '59 reissue and in fairness to him the looks of with the gold anodised pickguard suggest it would have been a bass from close to this timeframe, so I thought it best to advertise as such.

The hardware and ashtrays and are all vintage but I couldn't give you a date unfortunately, I don't know when. The neck is a Fender neck by Allparts, again, unknown date but it's about 1.5" at the nut. However, it's very deep and has a deep 'V' feel at the 1st-4th frets or so before it rounds out. I love of the neck, it's what sold me on the bass. The body was sourced elsewhere, despite the feel and weight of the body being close to most vintage Fenders I've played. It's a good slab of wood, a little heavy but again it's what I liked about the bass originally as it reminded me of how the older Fender P's felt. The wear and tear of the bass on the body was done partially by it's previous owner, otherwise I think the bass shows the test of time. Unfortunately the history of the bass is as one pieced together by Fender parts by the original owner and I don't know the full ins and outs of the bass other than all of this. All I knew when I bought it was how much I loved it to play and how it sounded, I've had roundwounds and flatwounds on it now and it sounds just great :)

Edited by risingson

[quote name='Beedster' post='1132034' date='Feb 18 2011, 11:34 AM']... or a Fender....?[/quote]

I'm simply placing the bass back into the marketplace in similar if not identical advertising conditions to how it was sold to me last May. As most of the parts are indeed Fender, I'll advertise accordingly. Cheers

Edited by risingson

[quote name='risingson' post='1132064' date='Feb 18 2011, 12:03 PM']I'm simply placing the bass back into the marketplace in similar advertising conditions to how it was sold to me last May. As most of the parts are indeed Fender, I'll advertise accordingly.[/quote]

Hi mate, OK, I was slightly tongue in cheek above, but you only have to go to the ebay forum on here to see the slating that people get for saying "I was told by the original seller it's all original". I'm sure a lot of guys on here love the look of that bass, but you'll probably need to provide a bit more info, or at least a link to the original for sale thread here.

Re 'most of the parts are Fender', I may have missed something, but neither the neck or the body are Fender, and you have not provided any info on the PUP, bridge, tuners etc.

A little more info and I've no doubt the bass will sell in no time

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='1132081' date='Feb 18 2011, 12:16 PM']Hi mate, OK, I was slightly tongue in cheek above, but you only have to go to the ebay forum on here to see the slating that people get for saying "I was told by the original seller it's all original". I'm sure a lot of guys on here love the look of that bass, but you'll probably need to provide a bit more info, or at least a link to the original for sale thread here.

Re 'most of the parts are Fender', I may have missed something, but neither the neck or the body are Fender, and you have not provided any info on the PUP, bridge, tuners etc.

A little more info and I've no doubt the bass will sell in no time

C[/quote]

Ok, to clarify, I have no more information on the hardware, body and neck other than that I've given, I've been in touch with the chap I bought it off to find out more on this front and once I'll get an answer I'll clear it up. The original thread I bought this bass from has gone AWOL, I can only assume it to have been removed by a mod once 4 Candles (the seller) had sold the two basses in the thread late last May (if I remember correctly he was selling an Overwater Jazz in the same thread).

A quick removal of the neck a few months back to make a truss adjustment reveals it to be Fender by Allparts (it's stamped in the heel, I'll take photos if necessary later on). It's Fender... sure, Fender by proxy, but Fender. The body isn't I don't think as there's nothing stamped in the neck joint to indicate this, but again I'm not certain. The pickup is Wizzard like I said, again when I did the electronics nothing on the pickup cover indicates what type of model, I can only assume that it's the Trad but could be a Thumper.

Honestly not trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes here, I'm selling it based on what I know about the bass, and I'm more than happy to answer questions on what I know about the bass. Thanks

Edited by risingson

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1134525' date='Feb 20 2011, 05:07 PM']I can't get the file either.

For what it's worth, imo you come across as being totally upfront about the bass and its origins - not pulling the wool over anyone's eyes.

It looks great, and real value for money. Good Luck.[/quote]

Thanks Roland Rock, really appreciate it!

Cheers, that's actually invaluable to me and will come in very handy in the future!

Here's the link. Avoid listening to it laptop speakers if possible! [url="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21614589/P%20bass%20samples.mp3"]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21614589/P%20bass%20samples.mp3[/url]

Just to be a complete pedant, an Allparts neck isn't a Fender neck......Fender have simply said they're allowed to use the headstock shape.....it's an Allparts neck. To be fair they make great necks, had a Jazz one on a Precision bass and it certainly held it's own.

Good luck with the sale, looks like a nice little bitsa!

Si