Why become a member? ×

Which phaser?

chrismuzz

Evenin! After removing my Behringer compressor from my board in favour of the sexy Aguilar TLC, I have come to my senses and bottled out of buying a Behringer PH9 phaser (the MXR Phase 90 clone.) However I still crave that lush watery phase sound, so what should I go for? I've been tempted by the EHX small stone (the nano sized one), and a REAL Phase 90. Any thoughts? Or other suggestions? Cheers :)

Edited by chrismuzz

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1126478' date='Feb 13 2011, 09:47 PM']Apart from my compressor and sansamp, which are both almost always on, and still have very good bypass, all my other effects are true bypass. I am kind of leaning towards the small stone at the moment, but does true bypass really make that much of a difference?[/quote]
I wasn't sure but then did my own extensive test with various pedals, basses & amps & decided there was definitely more dynamics in the sound with the true bypass stuff.
For example, I put my Geddy Lee Jazz straight into an amp & then compared that to the sound with only a Boss TU-2 in the signal chain (obviously switched off!!) & there was a difference. The sound with the TU-2 in was noticeably duller (hence I know have a Korg Pitch Black tuner!)

Each to their own on sound though.

Well if it's a noticeable difference that's too much for me! I used to have a Digitech BP80 multi effects thingy. Had to get rid of it because it totally wrecked the tone even when bypassed.. I assumed it was just because it was a cheap piece of crap, but I guess this bypass thing isn't as much of a placebo effect as one would have you believe! Thanks for your input dude

For anyone who's interested, [url="http://www.petecornish.co.uk/case_against_true_bypass.html"]Pete Cornish[/url] has some good information on why his pedals and boards don't use true bypass.

I use a Phase 90. I'm always open to the idea of getting a different phaser, but without forking out a lot more (Mad Professor) or sacrificing space with a bigger unit (Empress, Diamond) I don't think there is much out there that can offer something significantly better.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1127398' date='Feb 14 2011, 06:17 PM']I use a Guyatone Phaser. It's really cool and diddy.

To be honest,I don't think True Bypass is as important as some people make out. If it's a decent
pedal,it'll usually have a good buffer.[/quote]

I use the same one (little green one). It's very subtle on bass but doesn't effect the bottoms end at all. I really like it.

I did try the EBS DPhaser though the other day and really liked it. It's a little more in your face with some strong resonance etc... But for what I do now I think it would suit me great.
If you can find the Guyatone one on eBay etc though it's a stunning buy for the £30-40 they fetch.

another +1 on the nano small stone. to be honest though its the only phaser i've had so i've got nothing to compare it to but i did search around and read a ton of reviews and opinions and they seem highly regarded

if you do decide to go for the small stone and want to pick one up 2nd hand send me a message as mine (as well as most of the rest of my pedal board) is gonna be up for sale soon

Dont entirely rule out the [url="http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/soundblox/tri-mod_phaser.php"]Source Audio Trimod Phaser[/url], yes its big, and digital, but it does have a lot of varying phae sounds to play with, ranging from very very mild to utterly bonkers, it can run as an envelope following phaser too, which is quite neat (esp with some grind)

Just a thought...

There's loads of different phasers on the market depending on your price point. My personal preference is an analog phaser, here's a quick run down of ones I liked:

The Moog Moogerfooger 12 Stage Phaser - hands down my fav! Total control plus it looks and sounds amazing, it is quite pricey though.

Red Witch Moon Phaser - also lovely sounding, fewer features but less pedalboard real estate taken up.

Boss PH-1r - great dark dubby sound phase, discontinued but sounds brill!