Why become a member? ×

New Mesa Rig

seymourfluid

Hi, can I get some help from you guys please?

I have purchased a Mesa boogie Carbine M6 with 2 cabs, a 2 * 12 and a 1 *15. This was a direct replacement for an Ashdown AMB 575 with similar cabs.

The mistake I made was assuming that as they are both about 600W the volumes of the 2 rigs would be about the same. The efficiency of the Boogie rig means that it’s soooo much louder I can’t run it at any volume and can’t drive the pre-amp stage to get the growl I want.

If I run the two 8-Ohm cabs in series instead of parallel to get 16-Ohm, would it affect the tonal quality of the amp or would it just run at about 180 W?

Does anyone know where I can buy a good quality speakon lead or box to bridge for serial?

Thanks,

Seymour

[quote name='icastle' post='1126037' date='Feb 13 2011, 03:29 PM']Can't you just turn the Pre amp gain up and keep the master volume down?[/quote]

That's the problem. I have the master gain on 0.25. Only just breaking the power amp in and the preamp gain is around 11 o'clock. The valves don't start breaking until 12 o'clock. If I run just one cab, I can't get the sound so I need to run at 16 Ohm.

[quote name='seymourfluid' post='1126119' date='Feb 13 2011, 05:05 PM']That's the problem. I have the master gain on 0.25. Only just breaking the power amp in and the preamp gain is around 11 o'clock. The valves don't start breaking until 12 o'clock. If I run just one cab, I can't get the sound so I need to run at 16 Ohm.[/quote]

Ah that'd be a problem then :)

I haven't seen a parallel -> series convertor box or cable 'off the shelf'.
Why not drop OBBM a message on this board and ask if he can make one up for you as a custom job?

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1126139' date='Feb 13 2011, 05:20 PM']I wouldn't recommend running two different cabs in series because their dissimilar impedance curves will cause strange power distribution and tone issues. Try just using one cab instead.[/quote]

I tried one cab last night. Takes the power down to 320W and I used the 2*12 on it's own.

I just don't get the bottom end that I do with both cabs, so I need to run the 1*15 as well.

What I should have done was buy the M3 300Watt version but it's a bit late now. :-(

Have a look at the block diagram for the amp. You may be able to run the preamp output out through an FX loop, through a line level attenuator (ie a 25k pot) and then back in to the power amp, so you can push the preamp hard and then pull it back.

Alternatively if you're running the amp that quietly you should be able to get plenty of bottom from one cab by messing with your EQ.

[quote name='icastle' post='1126170' date='Feb 13 2011, 05:42 PM']Maybe the easiest option would be to take a look at some of the valve preamp pedals that are on the market.
Set your drive level on that and just set your rig to a comfortable level.[/quote]
+1

Seems like the simplest solution all round, though there are plenty of SS designs that might hit the spot as well. Badder Monkey?

[quote name='thodrik' post='1126549' date='Feb 13 2011, 11:17 PM']Maybe you could trade the M6 in for an M3...[/quote]

I have tried most of the above, most colour the pure sound I wanted when I spent the money. :-(

I contacted PMT southend who sold me the amp to ask if they would consider a part ex to an M3. 3 months old, 6 gigs, flight cased and they offered me £450.

Reply not repeatable.

One question - I see on the Mesa Boogie page for the 2x12 Powerhouse cab that it says 8 or 4 Ohm, which is yours?
I ask as the M6 Carbine puts out 320 Watts at 8 Ohms so it may help you if yours is an 8 Ohm version and as Alex said try running just the 2x12 and adjust the EQ to get the sound you want with the 1 cab...

Just throwing the idea out there and hope it helps?