Why become a member? ×

I Am New Here

neptunehealer

Hey everyone, this is only my second post so i thought i would tell you all what i am currently using.
I currently play a Vintage bass which is the only one i have ever owned for roughly 9 years which cost me £120. It has served me well but now i am playing regular in a cover band and am seeking a better bass.
I do intend on nipping to Birmingham to try a few as i know thats the important thing to do.
Just interested what basses you think i should try out first, we cover all genres from pop, rock and soul and a little funk and i am after a nicer tone, lighter bass as mine is pretty heavy and better pickups.
I am aware of the Aerodyne but the jack input location has put me off.
Just any advice would be cool and i wonder if there are any basses out there which will tick all boxes that i have, oh and my budget will be up to £800 tops.

Oh and hello to you all.

[quote name='neptunehealer' post='128986' date='Jan 27 2008, 11:08 PM']Hey everyone, this is only my second post so i thought i would tell you all what i am currently using.
I currently play a Vintage bass which is the only one i have ever owned for roughly 9 years which cost me £120. It has served me well but now i am playing regular in a cover band and am seeking a better bass.
I do intend on nipping to Birmingham to try a few as i know thats the important thing to do.
Just interested what basses you think i should try out first, we cover all genres from pop, rock and soul and a little funk and i am after a nicer tone, lighter bass as mine is pretty heavy and better pickups.
I am aware of the Aerodyne but the jack input location has put me off.
Just any advice would be cool and i wonder if there are any basses out there which will tick all boxes that i have, oh and my budget will be up to £800 tops.

Oh and hello to you all.[/quote]

Have you checked out the 'sale' section on this forum? There are some bargains to be had used from other users!

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='129014' date='Jan 28 2008, 12:07 AM']Have you checked out the 'sale' section on this forum? There are some bargains to be had used from other users![/quote]

good call this is the daddy

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=12233"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=12233[/url]

i really want it. used to have a black one.

Hi Neptunehealer...welcome to the forum,

As much as I like P basses, IMHO you might want something a bit more versatile. The Aerodyne is a good choice, The non-export models have a more traditionally placed jack socket. You can get these from importers like [url="http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/"]http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/[/url]

A Jazz is an obvious suggestion, just for the vesatility.

Get yourself to PMT and just try everything they have! With a £800 budget you should be able to get something nice.

Paul.

Yes well i must admit admit i have never considered Lakland before, and i have heard mixed reviews about the Warwick.
But the reviews i have read about the Fender Jazz have been pretty positive and consistent. Another thing as our set is verstile for e.g. beatles, chili's, james brown and killers, so would a Warwick be suitable for this type of music as i get the impression a fender Jazz would cater more for the required tone i would need for all these genre's.
Also some of my fav bassists i.e. Damon Minchella, Flea and Chris Wolstenholme use Fender Jazzes so if it's good enough for them it will be for me. (makes me think of the Dodgy tune now lol).

Well, If I were you I'd go for a USA fender jazz bass, simple tone controls, a simple versatile no frills passive bass with a good classic fender tone, cant go wrong, just find one that feels and plays good because in addition to the nice playing ones there are a few lemons knocking around so try before you buy with fender. Could always go down the P-Bass route, nice big fat tone, not a great slap sound but a nice big punchy tone that cuts through bands quite well.

Well i am currently torn between 2 basses i found on guitaremporium.co.uk
Its between the Aerodyne and the Fender Japan 1962 Re-issue Jazz Bass with US Vintage Pickups and Alder Body and Badass Bridge which is £700.

Just wondering can anyone add weight to either of these basses and help my decision, and also is that bass worth £700.

I just got hold of A CIJ 62 reissue (fretless though) very good bass, comfortable, vintage spec and a nice round growl to it.

Not played an Aerodyne, plenty have here though, good bass by all accounts.

You say you got £800......why not try the new Fender Jazz out? They got rid of the S1 switch, modified vintage bridge, hipshots.

Either way you wont go far wrong with Fender MIA or CIJ.

Good luck.