Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

as fast with a pick as with fingers?

norvegicusbass

[quote name='charic' post='1123800' date='Feb 11 2011, 01:17 PM']Hmm interesting. I'll have to give that a shot with a pick. I would say this song would be a great chance for economy picking practice (something Dood pointed out to me) and it's something I really want to get my head around.

Pick pattern in my mind: Down(Low String), Down (High String), Up (High String). Does that makes sense? In that way you can remove one wrist movement :)

Or that could be complete and utter B@!!@£%$[/quote]
I'd alternate cross pick all the way.

From what I remember the part in question is similar to a run Flea does in 'Right on Time' which is really handy with a pick. Its more about accuracy rather than speed. The strokes I'd use would be: down, down/up. down, down/up.down, down/up.down, down/up.

Dunno if that makes much sense :)

[quote name='Mog' post='1123994' date='Feb 11 2011, 04:20 PM']From what I remember the part in question is similar to a run Flea does in 'Right on Time' which is really handy with a pick. Its more about accuracy rather than speed. The strokes I'd use would be: down, down/up. down, down/up.down, down/up.down, down/up.

Dunno if that makes much sense :)[/quote]

See how bad at picking I am? I play it albeit slowly up, down/up. up, down/up

[quote name='norvegicusbass' post='1124008' date='Feb 11 2011, 04:31 PM']See how bad at picking I am? I play it albeit slowly up, down/up. up, down/up[/quote]
Same thing really innit. I have a very tight picking stroke from my guitar shredding days and almost always start on a downstroke.

[quote name='silddx' post='1122405' date='Feb 10 2011, 10:28 AM']

This geezer does a decent job of this bass part.

Not difficult but not easy either. Easier with fingers that's for sure. Like SteveK said, thumb and fingers for the dum diddy dum diddy parts is the way to go. Don't know how it was done originally though.[/quote]
Looks like he's playing in his office! Probably a lawyer or a Headteacher who skins a big salary and twangs the plank all day instead! :)

[quote name='Mog' post='1123994' date='Feb 11 2011, 04:20 PM']From what I remember the part in question is similar to a run Flea does in 'Right on Time' which is really handy with a pick. Its more about accuracy rather than speed. The strokes I'd use would be: down, down/up. down, down/up.down, down/up.down, down/up.

Dunno if that makes much sense :)[/quote]

That's a clearer way of saying what I was trying too :)

I would love to master a pick, but i am hopeless. Really, really hopeless! Switching strings at any kind of speed and it all goes horribly wrong, i do have a bit of respect of players that can manage it. Although even if i did master it, 99% of the time i would opt for fingers for too many reasons to list, but every now and again you need the extra attack that only a pick can make. One day!

[quote name='Mog' post='1124081' date='Feb 11 2011, 05:17 PM']Same thing really innit. I have a very tight picking stroke from my guitar shredding days and almost always start on a downstroke.[/quote]
I've noticed that our guitarist always starts on downstrokes, probably for all that palm muting and stuff, and we end up playing the same riffs in songs with completely different picking patterns. I almost always focus on upstrokes.

That said, I'd play this pattern as up down up. Catches the first up on the way back down from the last up of the pattern in one motion then. Don't know if that makes much sense!