Why become a member? ×

roger waters/duff mckagen precision

rickychutney

From what I`ve read (and from the retail prices) they are both made in Mexico.

Actually saw a Roger Waters bass the other day in Coda Music in Stevenage. Up until now I`ve not really liked the look of it, due to the mismatch in black/chrome hardware, however, seeing it in the flesh so to speak, its changed my mind - its a really nice looking bass. Shame the photos don`t do it justice.

Never been able to locate/try a Duff - and when they were announced, did I try. Although I like regular P-Basses, that is probably the one bass I`d happily buy, if a good deal came along in our for sale section.

These are very different P-basses, the RW has a baseball bat of a neck but quite a thick, full sound thanks to the SPB-3 it's equipped with, the duff on the other hand has almost a J shaped neck, the p/j config obviously creates more sounds than a single p can. I'm not sure if the body shape is slightly different too? But yeah, in a nutshell they're very different basses.

yeah they are both mexican, the duff is a reproduction of the old japenese jazz special which has a no scratchplate P bass body P/J pickups and has a jazz neck, the roger one looks like a 7o,s syle so will have a chunkier P bass neck, they both look great but id get the Duff!!! better still hang on for an original jazz special to come up, they will be far superior im sure, there was a lovely red one on sale on here a while ago i really wanted it!!!

thanks for the info chaps,intresting reading.i`ve presently got a bb614 which i love but im drawn for a precision.been looking around and to be honest im a little lost to be fair.are the usa PB`s really worth the extra money over the mexican built units? i suppose this is a question asked many times however new models are released each year such as the the basses mentioned in this topic.

cheers

rick

As much as I like Pink Floyd, the roger waters bass actually pisses me off. What the hell is the point of putting some mismatched hardward on a standard P and putting his name on it? It sums up all the negative things about signature models. Don't get me wrong, there are some brilliant and innovative signature instruments out there, I mean what about the Les Paul? How iconic is that? In comparison, the RW P is embarrassing.

[quote name='rickychutney' post='1118375' date='Feb 6 2011, 10:33 PM']thanks for the info chaps,intresting reading.i`ve presently got a bb614 which i love but im drawn for a precision.been looking around and to be honest im a little lost to be fair.are the usa PB`s really worth the extra money over the mexican built units? i suppose this is a question asked many times however new models are released each year such as the the basses mentioned in this topic.

cheers

rick[/quote]
Whilst you`ll undoubtedly find gems amongst the MIMs, all of my US Ps are of better quality than any MIM that I have had - tho my Classic 50s P was very close.

I don`t know if the US is actually twice as good as the MIM (bases on RRP), but a 2nd hand US goes for between £500 - £600, and for this money you get a very good bass indeed, and there`s also the resell value - as you`ve bought it 2nd hand, it won`t depreciate much, if at all.

There is a sexy white Fender Jazz Bass Special on ebay at the moment - [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320653623779&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]link here[/url] - mid 80s MIJ. It was these I believe the Duff McCagan sig. series are based on? Looks like a good one too. These have Jazz necks.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1118786' date='Feb 7 2011, 12:23 PM']Thats the one.

Must try to resist that......................[/quote]

Damn. Same here. I expect the price will jump up nearer the end time so its not too tempting, but at the current price i would snap that up, even though i dont need it (or dont think i do)

[quote name='Paul S' post='1119090' date='Feb 7 2011, 04:52 PM']Gotta be worth £400 of anyone's money, I reckon - be interesting to see how it goes. There's a red one on the bay somewhere too, but I think the white ones are better. Not just because I've got one, either....[/quote]

I have a red one hanging on my wall - I own the active version of the Jazz Bass Special and I adore it! - As I have posted on here before - it was the first Bass I ever 'GAS'd over when I was a mere 13 years old - took me over 17 years to get one and boy are they worth it!