Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My wrist is ruined

Jono Bolton

I was doing pull ups during a quiet spell at work and the tendonitis that had settled down in my left wrist just got a million times worse. I can barely fret an octave shape now :) Absolutely gutted. I'm gonna have to give my bass a rest for a few weeks I think, which is murder, especially since I'm buying an Ashdown rig. Head should be here some point next week, with the cab coming a few weeks later.
Does anyone know of any exercises I can do to strengthen my wrists? No w***ing jokes please.

[quote name='jono b' post='127934' date='Jan 25 2008, 06:27 PM']I was doing pull ups during a quiet spell at work and the tendonitis that had settled down in my left wrist just got a million times worse. I can barely fret an octave shape now :) Absolutely gutted. I'm gonna have to give my bass a rest for a few weeks I think, which is murder, especially since I'm buying an Ashdown rig. Head should be here some point next week, with the cab coming a few weeks later.
Does anyone know of any exercises I can do to strengthen my wrists? No w***ing jokes please.[/quote]

Those hand (stress) grips usually do the trick for me, tenses them up too..

general flexing, move fingers (as if) theres an invisible fret-board..*shrugs*, rotate wrists

[quote name='jono b' post='127934' date='Jan 25 2008, 06:27 PM']I was doing pull ups during a quiet spell at work and the tendonitis that had settled down in my left wrist just got a million times worse. I can barely fret an octave shape now :) Absolutely gutted. I'm gonna have to give my bass a rest for a few weeks I think, which is murder, especially since I'm buying an Ashdown rig. Head should be here some point next week, with the cab coming a few weeks later.
Does anyone know of any exercises I can do to strengthen my wrists? No w***ing jokes please.[/quote]

whereabouts in your wrist is the pain? (its ok, there's no joke coming!...... as you can tell from my BC name, i treat this sort of problem every day - i work with professional golfers).

karl

I've got a pair of those hand grips. I use them from time to time but not as often as I should. How long should I use them for? I used to 100 grips but that only takes a couple of minutes, I can't see that it would make a huge difference. Should I do it longer?

[quote name='kdphysio' post='127945' date='Jan 25 2008, 06:42 PM']whereabouts in your wrist is the pain? (its ok, there's no joke coming!...... as you can tell from my BC name, i treat this sort of problem every day - i work with professional golfers).

karl[/quote]

It's the left wrist, and the pain's on top of the wrist bone, but to the left side of the wrist, if that makes sense?

[quote name='jono b' post='127947' date='Jan 25 2008, 06:44 PM']I've got a pair of those hand grips. I use them from time to time but not as often as I should. How long should I use them for? I used to 100 grips but that only takes a couple of minutes, I can't see that it would make a huge difference. Should I do it longer?[/quote]

I do them up until I feel some muscle tension (meaning its working around my wrist and forearm muscles) then I take about a 5 min rest and do it again..maybe others have a different notion but it works immensely for my right hand when playing afterwards..no w**kie jokes please..

[quote name='finnbass' post='127948' date='Jan 25 2008, 06:45 PM']Balls!

[url="http://news.softpedia.com/news/Power-and-Balls-Are-Now-One-with-Powerball-38666.shtml"]Powerballs[/url]

Shop around though as prices vary enormously.[/quote]

They look awesome! Have you tried them? Has anyone tried them? I don't think I'm entirely sure how you use them.

[quote name='jono b' post='127950' date='Jan 25 2008, 06:46 PM']It's the left wrist, and the pain's on top of the wrist bone, but to the left side of the wrist, if that makes sense?[/quote]

you've probably got a ligament strain, so it needs 'relative rest', ie no heavy weights, less of the bass, and obviously no w*****g (couldn't resist!).

just keep the wrist moving gently in all directions, but no circular movements. you can also use ice regularly, and take neurofen for a couple of days.

feel free to pm me if you want more info.

karl

I did here somewhere that those finger/wrist 'strengtheners' were actually almost useless for guitar and bass players. IIRC the reason revolved around strengthening the wrong muscles (or strengthening some muscle to the detriment of others) and the fact that it actually reduced flexibility! I'll see if I can find the article.

Do you just hold them? Or is there something else you do with your wrist at the same time? I quite fancy one of the Powerballs. There's a bunch on ebay at the mo, is there one that's best? there seems to be loads of options. I assume it comes with some sort of instructions?

[quote name='jono b' post='127977' date='Jan 25 2008, 07:20 PM']Do you just hold them? Or is there something else you do with your wrist at the same time? I quite fancy one of the Powerballs. There's a bunch on ebay at the mo, is there one that's best? there seems to be loads of options. I assume it comes with some sort of instructions?[/quote]

its your call, but a powerball will be no use to you at the moment with this injury. you need to keep powerballs moving by doing circular movements of the wrist. at the moment you must AVOID that movement.....but as i've said its your call.

good luck.

karl

I have both tendonitis and carpul tunnel problems in both wrists. Please seek advise from a professional like a Physio. Your wrist is made up of lots of small bones and tendonds, you can do a lot of damage staining them doing the wrong things to try to solve the problem you have, if you don't know what you are doing. Go see a Physio private probably only cost you about £25 but could be the best £25 you might spend. PLEASE don't try squeezing balls etc until you have got pro advice.

BIGd

Well I'm resting the wrist at the moment, I never actually said I was getting a powerball to fix my wrist problems so :) I [u]will[/u] be getting one to build up my general arm strength though. finnbass, cheers for the link! kdphysio, when would be a good time to end the 'relative rest'? My basses are sitting in the corner just begging to be played!

The ice advice is one to take, i have recently had back problems and my chiropractor sells these ice packs that stay soft. Use one for 10 minutes every hour and it makes a huge difference and can make a dramatic reduction in the amount of drugs you might need.

[quote name='finnbass' post='127948' date='Jan 25 2008, 06:45 PM']Balls!

[url="http://news.softpedia.com/news/Power-and-Balls-Are-Now-One-with-Powerball-38666.shtml"]Powerballs[/url]

Shop around though as prices vary enormously.[/quote]

+1
I started to develop tendonitis in my left wrist a couple of years ago so I started to use a powerball a few times a day, just hoping that it would make a difference- it did the trick!
Once you get the hang of it just use it gently for a minute or two at a time and build it up gradually. These things can put up to 20Kg of pressure on your forearm/wrist if you spin them fast enough, so go easy with it.

[url="http://www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets/6-/Search.html?searchstring=powerball&searchtype=GADG&searchsource=0"]http://www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets/6-/Sea...;searchsource=0[/url]

If I damaged my leg playing football I would rest it for a while, then gradually ease back onto exercise, gentle low shock stuck, then running and kicking and then go and play games. Rush back too early and you risk doing more damage.
Same with bass/wrists/hands i think.
To get a problem and then rush into heavy excersises like a powerball to try and solve it sounds daft to my ears. Like going on a heavy run with weights after the football leg problem.

Also maybe check your technique, i find that the length of the strap has a massive affect on the wrist pressure on both hands but esp left. I wear my bass fairly low mainly as i find that this is where i can get the least pressure on both my left and right hands. Maybe play around with your strap, and make sure your left hand position is good, thumbs over tops of necks wreak wrists.

EDIT: Which looking at your photo looks like you are doing!

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='jono b' post='128018' date='Jan 25 2008, 08:38 PM']Well I'm resting the wrist at the moment, I never actually said I was getting a powerball to fix my wrist problems so :) I [u]will[/u] be getting one to build up my general arm strength though. finnbass, cheers for the link! kdphysio, when would be a good time to end the 'relative rest'? My basses are sitting in the corner just begging to be played![/quote]

sorry for the delay in replying, i've been off-line for a while.

just so you know, i am a very experiened, fully qualified chartered physiotherapist, so any advice i give is coming from someone who has been working with this sort of problem (inluding with elite athletes) for 13 years.

i also agree with other posts that its better for you seek professional advise from a chartered physiotherapist near you (need 'MCSP' & 'HPC' after their name). you can then get a full assessment and receive the appropriate treatment.

in the mean time, you'll need probably 2 weeks rest from 'heavy' activities, as already mentioned.

feel free to pm me for a fuller idea of rehab, and when to use those powerballs etc.

karl

Edited by kdphysio

Get your wrist problems diagnosed properly and professionaly. Then you will know exactly what you are dealing with and you can get the correct advice and treatment.

Don't worry about feeling like a drama queen, it's best to get it treated properly to avoid re-occurence.

I think this has pretty much already been said but it's important to realise that there are two parts to this:

1. Get your wrist better.
2. Look at prevention in the future.

Don't try to "strengthen the wrist up" until it is properly recovered.

I'm with all the people that say go for a professional diagnosis.