Why become a member? ×

Recovering Speaker cabs.

blunderthumbs

Hi there
To anyone who can help.
I have some fairly tired looking peavey hisys 2x15 cabs that require recovering.
They work perfectly but look a bit shabby.
Does anyone know where I can get them recovered at a reasonable price
without having to take them too far.
I live in Northwich Cheshire. Have trawled the internet but drawn a blank
Thanks. Ian.

[quote name='markstuk' post='1106130' date='Jan 28 2011, 12:59 PM']Why not have a go yourself..? It's not that difficult and you can find all the bits at www.bluearan.co.uk[/quote]

+1
I recovered a rather beaten up Roland Cube 60 (they used to be bright orange!) a few years back.
It took me a couple of hours (there were lots of fiddly little corners and cutouts) but looked the business once it was done! :)

When you say shabby do you mean that they won't clean up well or are they torn. You can do wonders with vinyl with a can of WD40. Spray it on like a generous squirt of furniture polish and buff off with a clean cloth. repeat until clean and shiny.

You can stick down little tears with PVA glue. If it curls then use a hair dryer to warm the vinyl and it will soften. You can actually iron down the vinyl if you coat both cab and vinyl with PVA and let it dry, but be warned the temperature at which the vinyl melts and the glue goes tacky are quite close. Don't melt the vinyl.

Finally you end up with a few join lines where the restuck viny joins the other side of the tear. Disguise this with a black marker pen.

Have fun.

[quote name='Phil Starr' post='1106971' date='Jan 29 2011, 08:31 AM']When you say shabby do you mean that they won't clean up well or are they torn. You can do wonders with vinyl with a can of WD40. Spray it on like a generous squirt of furniture polish and buff off with a clean cloth. repeat until clean and shiny.

You can stick down little tears with PVA glue. If it curls then use a hair dryer to warm the vinyl and it will soften. You can actually iron down the vinyl if you coat both cab and vinyl with PVA and let it dry, but be warned the temperature at which the vinyl melts and the glue goes tacky are quite close. Don't melt the vinyl.

Finally you end up with a few join lines where the restuck viny joins the other side of the tear. Disguise this with a black marker pen.

Have fun.[/quote]

Thanks for the tips But the cabs are carpet covered.

[quote name='icastle' post='1106562' date='Jan 28 2011, 06:36 PM']+1
I recovered a rather beaten up Roland Cube 60 (they used to be bright orange!) a few years back.
It took me a couple of hours (there were lots of fiddly little corners and cutouts) but looked the business once it was done! :)[/quote]
I Have four cabs in total. It would probably take me half a day to remove all the hardware, speakers x overs etc.
Then another half a day to sand them prior to recovering. Then another day to recover them.
I just haven't the time to do it myself.
Thanks anyway.

[quote name='Phil Starr' post='1106971' date='Jan 29 2011, 08:31 AM']When you say shabby do you mean that they won't clean up well or are they torn. You can do wonders with vinyl with a can of WD40. Spray it on like a generous squirt of furniture polish and buff off with a clean cloth. repeat until clean and shiny.

Have fun.[/quote]

Thanks Phil, I will give that a go
Ive previously used that stuff you use on the plastic trims on cars but its full of silicone, and mikes everything really slippery

[quote name='bumnote' post='1107253' date='Jan 29 2011, 02:54 PM']Thanks Phil, I will give that a go
Ive previously used that stuff you use on the plastic trims on cars but its full of silicone, and mikes everything really slippery[/quote]

Use WD40 like furniture polish, not furniture polish.

[quote name='Phil Starr' post='1106971' date='Jan 29 2011, 08:31 AM']When you say shabby do you mean that they won't clean up well or are they torn. You can do wonders with vinyl with a can of WD40. Spray it on like a generous squirt of furniture polish and buff off with a clean cloth. repeat until clean and shiny.[/quote]

+1

If they're really grimey then use WD40 witha little scrubbing brush (or a nail brush).

If you're really keen then Servisol (the switch cleaner people) make a [url="http://www.audiomate.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=Y062B"]Foam Cleaner [/url]product that is specifically designed to do this job - used to use it years ago to clean up SH kit before selling it on.

[quote name='blunderthumbs' post='1107252' date='Jan 29 2011, 02:53 PM']I Have four cabs in total. It would probably take me half a day to remove all the hardware, speakers x overs etc.
Then another half a day to sand them prior to recovering. Then another day to recover them.
I just haven't the time to do it myself.
Thanks anyway.[/quote]

Ah.
I've not tried getting carpet off but I can imagine it being a real pain in the ar*e... :)
I had a quick Google but the only UK place I could find are looking at £100 in materials and £140 in labour per cab.

You have 4 2x15's?

I recently bought some carpet covered PA speakers. filthy but they cleaned up OK with a stiff brush and a vacuum cleaner.

Getting carpet off is awful, I doubt whether it would be economic to do this unless you really love those cabs.

[quote name='blunderthumbs' post='1107249' date='Jan 29 2011, 02:48 PM']Thanks for the tips But the cabs are carpet covered.[/quote]

I reckon you're better off trying to clean up the existing carpet covering. Having said that I haven't seen them of course. Photos ?
Covering with Bicarbonate of Soda ( get a good size box from a pharmacy rather than small amounts from a food shop ) leaving it for an hour then vacuuming is worth a go if the carpet is quite dirty. And maybe a 'carpet shampoo' also ? Mask off the speakers of course :-)

[quote name='Phil Starr' post='1107850' date='Jan 30 2011, 08:28 AM']You have 4 2x15's?

I recently bought some carpet covered PA speakers. filthy but they cleaned up OK with a stiff brush and a vacuum cleaner.

Getting carpet off is awful, I doubt whether it would be economic to do this unless you really love those cabs.[/quote]
NO. I have 2 x 2 x15s hisys subs and 2x 1x15 hisys 2s. Dirt is not a problem. Peeling carpet is the problem
and I just thought that if it wasn't too expensive I could get them recovered.
To replace these bomb proof cabs would cost me a couple of grand.

If the carpet is just peeling (i.e. not missing) I'd look into some decent adhesive and stick it all back down. A good contact adhesive or perhaps a hot glue gun should do it.

If you are missing bits, I wonder whether it would be possible to 'cut in' small sections. It should be easy enough to match the carpet - it's usually pretty standard stuff - and stick it all down with the adhesive I just mentioned. The joins shouldn't be too obvious if you cut it right, and the result will definitely be less unsightly than peeling, shabby looking cabs. Gotta be easier than re-covering the whole thing, too.

As has already been said, though, it's hard to make recommendations without seeing pictures.

[quote name='icastle' post='1107323' date='Jan 29 2011, 04:11 PM']Ah.
I've not tried getting carpet off but I can imagine it being a real pain in the ar*e... :)
I had a quick Google but the only UK place I could find are looking at £100 in materials and £140 in labour per cab.[/quote]
If your like me and dont care about keeping cabs original you could visit your local carpet store and buy the cheapest cord carpet they sell,i covered an old Peavey 1820 with it in a fetching charcoal colour,put new corner bits from Maplin on and it looked the dogs danglies :)
i used evo stick aquired from work but in the past used spray adhesive...isnt hard
carpet came in 3.3 mtr length and i bought a metre wide strip,cost about 12 quid,corners were about 4 quid for heavy plastic ones.

Edited by dougie