Why become a member? ×

Getting rid of the rig

MacDaddy

I've had my rig (2x10 combo on top, 2x12 underneath) for about 5 years. I've used it for 2 auditions, 1 rehearsal and 2 gigs.

When I was gigging I usually went through the provided backline or DI'd from my ME-50B. For rehearsals I use the studio amps, and at home I play through the computer which has studio monitors.

Don't get me wrong, my rig is quality (IMO) - it's Tech Soundsystems - but as I'm without a car at the moment it's more convenient not to use it. Plus I'm happy with sounds from the ME-50B when DI'd, so I'm wondering do I really need my rig?

Silddx is my inspiration as he seems to be quite happy to be rigless and just use his POD floorboard.

I've often wondered the same and it's a scary thing in a way as an amp seems a fundamental part of a setup. I've often played smaller gigs without a PA beefy enough to take a DI from a bass guitar (although strangely enough they don't seem to mind DBs), so it's always useful having one around, but there again, that's what hire companies are for and if you only need to use one a few times a year I'd say take the plunge.

Let's all go Geddy Lee!!!!!!

When gigging a lot few yrs back I went down the route of DI and found it far better than a mic at a cabinet.
Main reason for going down that route was one of our PA 10" speakers went during sound check at a small venue and we used my 2x10" to supplement the PA. It was a 3 piece band with drummer using Simmons electronic kit with only a standard snare and cymbals.
It meant the sound guy had complete control over everyone's volumes to a degree.

I was able to use monitor system for feedback and my tone was far smoother than any backline.

Of course we didn't have the large bass amps we see nowadays

Dave

I hardly ever use an amp, and just travel with a Fishman Pro preamp. And a big upright, so not exactly light! Usually that's going into a Yamaha Stagepas500, unless we're doing a gig with provided pa/crew. I'm perfectly happy with that arrangement, in fact I pretty much prefer it to the sound from my amp - a Polytone minibrute.

I've been doing a load of gigs with just a Bass Pod and in ear monitors. It's great,but you really need some decent
monitoring.
For me,it's particularly useful when I've got gigs abroad as it's pretty much nothing to carry.It all fits in my suitcase and
gigbag.

It sounds to me you just need a small light head and 1x10 or 1x12 just for monitoring of similar combo.. Then at least you have something.

I'd never say don't have an amp at all, just a smaller one if you're not using it. The day you sell it will be the day you need one.

I play drums and TBH I've spent alot of time using hired gear or stuff in the studio I'm recording with and just using my snare, cymbals, pedal, but I know if i lose my kit, I'd get a call where I needed it.

Just downsize

[quote name='algmusic' post='1114204' date='Feb 3 2011, 05:48 PM']Just downsize[/quote]

already there mate :)

I was forced in to it, when I switched cars from a hatchback to a saloon. The speakers in each cab are wrapped, so the size of each is not much bigger than a single 10 or 12 and they fit nicely in the boot.

Playing the pub and small club circuit with the occassional function and few of the venues have a house PA (about 4 out of the 20 regular venues and none for the functions) so I couldn't do without my rig. We have a decent enough PA system (couple of Mackie SRM450's, and a couple of Warfedale Titan 10A's for monitoring) but I reckon these will start to lose definition and clarity if I started to whack my bass through it. I could add a bass bin to the PA but then that would put me back to square 1 with regard to carting around equipment.

I couldn't go without my amp i don't think, not yet. In a few years i think i will be able to because we're planning on getting our PA up to scratch so we can use it for pretty much whatever it needs to be, weather its just vocals or the whole band with a fully mic'd drum kit. If we did have a decent PA i wouldnt mind just using a POD and IEM's, would save me alot of effort.

Liam