Why become a member? ×

Buying a Rickenbacker

achknalligewelt

It's just electrical tape, it had been weirdly refinished. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=101055&st=0"]full story here.[/url]

Edit: I just reread what I orignally wrote about them, and I didn't even say it was an issue, just a bargaining point, I'd be fully expecting the owner to not have noticed it happening.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

[quote name='Cairobill' post='1108601' date='Jan 30 2011, 08:16 PM']That a double neck? Impossibly cool...[/quote]
One of two Rickenbacker doublenecks I bought when I had more money than sense - not that I have any more sense now, just less money (probably because of the doublenecks).

[quote name='Adee' post='1110499' date='Feb 1 2011, 12:39 AM']I loose !

Remeber what I said about opening the case . . . . Its true isnt it !?

Cheers
Ade[/quote]

It is, alot of what said above maybe true but it truly is a sexy piece of wood. Ultimately the spector I sold to buy Adee's Rick may have been a "better" more well crafted instrument but for me the Rick has tonnes more character and it sounds great. I guess it depends on what you want from a bass. I want something that makes me smile whenever I pick it up and something that sounds like a demon on heat. I get all this from the Rick. Played it at practice and it sounds huge. Can't wait to gig it.

I'll happily admit some of my love for this bass comes from owning something that I've coveted from youth ( for me it was lemmy/alan davis/scott reader) but thats all good in my book :)

T

Yep, whatever their faults and the parent company's reluctance to address them I do know that whenever I take mine to a jam session others players are queuing up to play it. In some cases it was the bass they always wanted but couldn't afford and they get quite misty eyed just strapping the thing on.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1113232' date='Feb 2 2011, 11:19 PM']I cant wait to own a Ric. I have 2 potential purchases on just now.

However I am scared of rickenfakers.

Can anyone with a bit of knowhow PM please.

Cheers
Steven[/quote]
PM'd. Fakers are pretty easy to recognise, real Ricks have lots of details never accurately copied.

Jon.

Joey's Bass Notes (google it... not entirely sure of the address) is your friend when identifying real / not real Rics. Having said that (and im sure Jon will agree) some Fakers ive played have been extremely good indeed. Also a lot of *real* Rics vary considerably... much the same way that Mr Fender's machines did through the last few decades.

I wouldnt swap my Ric for anything... and am looking to buy another... lol!

[url="http://www.joeysbassnotes.com/"]Joey's Bass Notes[/url] is a great site for anything Rick-related, not just Faker recognition.

A review of the Kimbara-branded Faker (made by Matsumoku) from the 70s claimed construction & finish was superior to the original. A lot of the high-end Jap Fakers were built to a very high standard, & many surviving ones seem to have withstood the ravages of time & abuse better than contemporary originals.

If you know your Ricks, Fakers are dead easy to spot - none of them were built to be counterfeits so they never tried to imitate every detail.

J.

[quote name='Starless' post='1108658' date='Jan 30 2011, 08:57 PM']An over-priced, dodgy QC novelty bass that has been sold over the years on the back of photos of McCartney, Squire, Geddy Lee, Glover et al. They've all moved on to other things when the novelty wears off. I've had four over the years, and all now gone. Never lasted beyond the novelty phase. Won't be getting a fifth one, no point. Fenders and Musicmans much better quality with no ridiculous design 'features' that hamper just about any playing style. There are much cheaper ways of getting a temporary buzz.[/quote]
Lemmy would disagree with you there. 1972, 1981, 1989, Present.

[quote name='Starless' post='1108658' date='Jan 30 2011, 08:57 PM']There are much cheaper ways of getting a temporary buzz.[/quote]

My Ric never had any buzzing

Although it was temporary, although I wish I tried flats on it before I passed it on, I've a feeling Id have liked that better

Edited by lojo

I owned a 4003 for 12 years as my main player - probably more for the looks than anything else. I sold it because two Ibanez semis
that I paid less than half the cost of the Ric combined (!!), both sounded and played better. No denying that the Ric is a fine instrument and supercool to boot, It's just not worth the money.

Have you thought about trying a Fender Jaguar.

Played skinny neck jazzes for many years (and still will). Had my ric for 2 weeks. Took a week to get used to the neck and balance and try out a few different gauge strings. I really had to just play it for a week as it was very different to what I am used of.

I gigged it and took an old Jazz last week and spent about 50/50 on each bass. This week Im just taking the ric :)

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1114833' date='Feb 4 2011, 04:11 AM']I see he lost the rubbish bridge and rearranged the pickups when he got his custom there. Good call.[/quote]

Notice that he has the much derided pickup cover too - even though it's not actually covering a pickup but sits between the rear two.

I bet Rickenbacker weren't impressed with the "Rickenbastard" truss rod cover though... :)

I'm obviously not very observant, it has only just ocurred to me he seems to prefer an alternative front strap button position, maybe it just suits his stance/playing style? I've not considered rics to be particularly neck heavy.

Edited by KevB