Why become a member? ×

Pocket Rocket or similar

Count Bassy

I'm sure I've seen these discussed in a thread before, but a search for rocket did not reveal it (perhaps it was on bass world).

Anyway, I'm doing a lot of traveling and spending nights away from home at the moment, so am looking for something portable (ie fits inside the bass case) to go between my bass and the headphones, preferably battery powered.

The Pocket Rocket is one that springs to mind, but a few reviews on the 'interweb' mention excessive hissing.

Does anyone have experience of these or equivalent devices, and if so what are your thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks in advance people,

Clive.

[quote name='Clive Thorne' post='125634' date='Jan 22 2008, 06:42 PM']I'm sure I've seen these discussed in a thread before, but a search for rocket did not reveal it (perhaps it was on bass world).

Anyway, I'm doing a lot of traveling and spending nights away from home at the moment, so am looking for something portable (ie fits inside the bass case) to go between my bass and the headphones, preferably battery powered.

The Pocket Rocket is one that springs to mind, but a few reviews on the 'interweb' mention excessive hissing.

Does anyone have experience of these or equivalent devices, and if so what are your thoughts/recommendations?

Clive.[/quote]
I have to start by saying that I am biased - I have a Pocket Rock-it to sell, but I took it off the market just before Christmas [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8475"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8475[/url]

They come with headphones which sound fine, - it is only when you upgrade to Hifi headphones that the hiss can get intrusive.

They are designed for Fender-type angled jack sockets, and if you have an edge mounted socket, they tend to turn themselves upside down because they are slightly top heavy - not a big deal, but an annoyance just the same.

The range of tones is good: practising with chorus sounds really nice, and you have the option of connecting a CD/MP3 player/drum machine to jam along with.

I upgraded to a Korg Pandora, which does more, and costs more. I'm looking to sell my Pocket Rock-it for £25 +p&p, and you won't find anything better, new, at that price. Second hand, for the same kind of money, something like a Zoom BFX 708 will give you a headphone output, and a tuner, and a rhythm generator, but it doesn't come with headphones, and it is a lot bigger.

For even more money, you might pick up a CD playing Tascam bass trainer. The Mk I does not have a drum machine, but the Mk II does (I think). They are bigger and heavier, and need a PSU and a wall socket.

In summary, if you want something small and basic, a headphone amplifier would be good, and there is one readily available. If you want more facilities, it will cost you.

If you are interested in the Pocket Rock-it, make me an offer.

Thanks for your thoughts Mottle. I'm considering my options but will get back to you if I decide to go that way.

You've also explained why I could find reference to it in other threads - I was spelling it wrong (ie Rocket, not Rock-it). I've now done a search for "rock-it" and see that it has indeed been discussed several times, so I'll refer to those threads for further info!

Thanks again

Clive.

Edited by Clive Thorne

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Pocket Rock-it and had a Korg Pandora. I sold the Pandora as it simply done more than I needed to thru headphones, and needed too many wires! That and I suck at FX :huh:

The Pocket Rock-it is handy as it sits on the bass, but as Mottlefeeder says it spins around a bit if you're jack's not on the top. As for sound quality, the supplied headphones aren't the best (but I'm not a fan of open-back, on the ear designs), I use mine thru a pair of cheapo, big-assed £5-from-asda-Phillips headphones, and a pair of Shure E2G's, and it sounds fine, but it does hiss. I just ignore it, as I can't hear the hiss when I'm playing.

I recommend the PR for price and portability, I'll not be getting rid of mine in any hurry :) I think they've brought out some new style Pocket Rock-its, but I'd heard they were more expensive.

I use a Pandora. As has been said, they do a lot more than just act as a headamp, and the wires can be a pain. But to be able to plug your MP3 player in and play along to it is invaluable. I don't bother with the FX. Have sometimes used the rhythm tracks.

An older PX3B would do the trick just fine if you spot one come up on eBay - though the PX4Bs are also probably fairly cheap nowadays too.

I use a Boss Micro Br and have used the Tascam CD BT.

I would suggest you ahve a serious look at teh new Tascam MP3 or the Micro Br....

Top quality sound and you can load whatever you want to (MP3 wise) to jam along with....

I had a look at teh pocket rocket and I am quite sure that if you are a bit clumsy while playing sitting down and you have a jack socket on teh end of your basses (all of mine) you will break it. Thats why it got a vote of no confidence from me.

I've found various physical problems with the Rock-it, similar to those mentioned.

It's ok on a Precision. On a Jazz I found it jams up against the tone knob. If the jack is on the bottom edge, it is quite likely to fall out. I haven't broken mine, but have had to retrieve the battery and cover from under the bed.

I can see the attraction of not needing a lead, but it doesn't really compensate for the problems.

[quote name='Clive Thorne' post='125634' date='Jan 22 2008, 08:42 PM']I'm sure I've seen these discussed in a thread before, but a search for rocket did not reveal it (perhaps it was on bass world).

Clive.[/quote]
I wouldn't be without my pocket rockit. I use it while my family are watching the audio visual sewage that comes out of the tv,I use it back stage, I use it wandering naked around the house if the fancy takes me. It's wonderful.Never fallen out, fits every bass I own, sounds great. If I ever lost or broke it I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Edited by stewblack

Another vote for the Pandora here.
Ive just got one (PX4D) and cant believe how useful it is.
Other than the amp sims and Fx i find its nice having the drum machine. Its been ages since i used one but now i seem to use it every night for practising my runs/scales etc.
For me though the best bit is the aux input and pitch control. Using my ipod i can now learn any song in any key without first having to transpose it on my PC or learn it in a different key first.

I also needed something for back stage as we tend to work out requests between sets and just playing my bass without an amp meant i couldn't hear a thing i was playing against acoustic guitars. I came up with this idea and its working out really well. The CD case has a NXT speaker and amp in it. I can also fit my ipod Nano in it.
Of course its not as convenient as the Pocket-rock-it but its a lot more versatile.

Edited by dave_bass5