Why become a member? ×

Dimensions Needed, From A Ray And A Precision

GreeneKing

I'm thinking about commissioning a somewhat special bass for a particular sentimental reason.

I have an urge to get close to the traditional MM and P bass tones from something that looks much more modern.

Can you Stingray and Fender P bass owners give me the pickup centreline distances from the 12th fret so that I can look at the possibilities.

Much appreciated.

Pedro

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='1095491' date='Jan 19 2011, 10:51 AM']I'm thinking about commissioning a somewhat special bass for a particular sentimental reason.

I have an urge to get close to the traditional MM and P bass tones from something that looks much more modern.

Can you Stingray and Fender P bass owners give me the pickup centreline distances from the 12th fret so that I can look at the possibilities.

Much appreciated.

Pedro[/quote]
In a standard pickup shell there is about 4mm of overlap. If you pulled them out of the shell and made your own you could get the coils in the exact spots. I went for the P being 4mm towards the nut and I love it. The 2 together are greater than either alone.

[quote name='pietruszka' post='1095495' date='Jan 19 2011, 06:58 PM']My MM is 14.5 inches from centre of the pick up to the 12th fret along the centre line.[/quote]
That's 368 millimetres - nearly an inch more than what Pete measures.

Edited by stevie

[quote name='stevie' post='1096300' date='Jan 20 2011, 01:32 PM']That's 368 millimetres - nearly an inch more what Pete measures.[/quote]

on my ray its about 345 from the 12 fret centre to the middle or 320 to the front of the housingi

Edited by bumnote

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1095528' date='Jan 19 2011, 07:19 PM']Sounds like someone will be paying ou7shined some legal fees on a Pingray? :)[/quote]
Here actually is Peter (Greeneking) playing the Pingray - or rather discovering how dismally long I have my strap. :)

[attachment=69442:Moffat_Peter_low.jpg]

As has been pointed out the 2 pups in their classic positions annoyingly encroach into each others territory. For my purposes I wanted to change as little as possible which is why I went for the reversed P, keeping the 'ray pup and the E/A section of the P in their proper spots accurate down to the nearest millimetre. You heard the results yourself Peter. :lol:
Sandberg use their own spacings in their PM range but for my money they don't catch the harmonics of the original positions that Leo himself worked out.

I'll be taking the Pingray to Moffat again (made some slight cosmetic improvements from last time) so you are welcome to take as many measurements there as you like Peter.

I found a good way to place the MM pup perfectly was to use a genuine MM scratch plate as a template. :D

[quote name='stevie' post='1096300' date='Jan 20 2011, 01:32 PM']That's 368 millimetres - nearly an inch more than what Pete measures.[/quote]

It's 100% 345 mm 12th fret to centre of the pup , 14.5 inches is to eleventh fret to centre of pup or almost 12th to the far side of the pup so I'm guessing that's where it came from? My money is on 11th fret :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1096621' date='Jan 20 2011, 06:03 PM']It's 100% 345 mm 12th fret to centre of the pup , 14.5 inches is to eleventh fret to centre of pup or almost 12th to the far side of the pup so I'm guessing that's where it came from? My money is on 11th fret :)[/quote]

Oh yeah! Thats right, i was looking at the bass the wrong way! Doh! Im really not a typical stereotype of a bassist, honest.

Man I feel embarrassed.

Dan

• 7 months later...