Why become a member? ×

Recommend Me Some Simple Jazz Classics

morsefull

I've recently been approached by a few Jazz dudes who are performing at an outdoor gig to do a 1/2 set with them.
Without thinking i said yes only to realise that my "by ear" approach might not work too well in a jazz set.
I'm hoping someone here might point me in the right direction as far as recommending some fairly simple (perferably repetitive) songs.
I don't read the dots or Tab.
The line up is Bass, Drums, Piano,Trumpet and Sax.
Cheers in advance.

Learn to play Rhythm changes. These are the chord changes based on the song 'I Got Rhythm' and are used for a ton of different tunes. Jazz blues changes are important to learn as well.
Bilbo's list is good-I'd add 'Allof Me','Autumn Leaves','Night and Day','All Blues','Satin Doll','Take the A Train'......there are a lot of tunes that regularly crop up on Jazz gigs.

You probably won't need to read notes on a jazz gig (and you will never see tab on any gig,ever),but you often have to play from a lead sheet,which has the melody and chords written,and be able to construct a walking line over the changes.

Who would've thought it. I've just learn't the first part of "So what" including a walking bassline. Until the chord changes threw me off!

I'm really enjoying my first try at jazz.
It took me 2hrs to get the first 2 mins though. Loving it.

Thanks to you guys for helping me out.
My voyage of discovery continues.

[quote name='morsefull' post='1095678' date='Jan 19 2011, 09:16 PM']Who would've thought it. I've just learn't the first part of "So what" including a walking bassline. Until the chord changes threw me off!

I'm really enjoying my first try at jazz.
It took me 2hrs to get the first 2 mins though. Loving it.

Thanks to you guys for helping me out.
My voyage of discovery continues.[/quote]
There's a lot more to that tune than first meets the eye, sublime playing all round. There's a reason that Kind Of Blue is regarded as highly as it is... it's bloody genius all the way through, AND it's so accessible.

Here's a couple of others that might prove worthwhile...

Nat Adderley's 'Work Song' is a breeze (& a blast) to play. It 'just' walks between F & C - the challenge is not to repeat yourself :)

Here's the Oscar Brown Jr vocal version:

This appears to be in F#, but whether that was for Oscar's convenience or as a result of the studio speeding it up for radio, I know not. Nina Simone covered it as well.

Another Cannonball Adderley Band tune that's become a standard is this little ditty by his then keyboardist Joe Zawinul:

Again... sublime.

P.

[quote name='morsefull' post='1095678' date='Jan 19 2011, 09:16 PM']Who would've thought it. I've just learn't the first part of "So what" including a walking bassline. Until the chord changes threw me off![/quote]

THe tune consists of 4x8 bar section, three of which are D minor/dorian and the 4th Eb minor /Eb dorian

Dm/// ////
Dm/// ////
Ebm/// ////
Dm/// ////

(/=one bar of 4:4)

Impressions is exactly the same changes but played faster

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1096030' date='Jan 20 2011, 09:43 AM']THe tune consists of 4x8 bar section, three of which are D minor/dorian and the 4th Eb minor /Eb dorian

Dm/// ////
Dm/// ////
Ebm/// ////
Dm/// ////

(/=one bar of 4:4)

Impressions is exactly the same changes but played faster[/quote]

The trick is to remember where you are, going into the last or 3rd A part (Dm) its 24 bars before you change again, if someone is soloing its easy to drift off then doubt where you are, obviously Im speaking as a non pro who plays with non pros

Where as if you know the progression of some of the more involved tunes, there is no danger of this

I get the impression this thread is about helping someone like me, who plays alot, but doesn't read, if that is not the case please tell me and I'll stop posting and leave it to the pros

Edited by lojo

[quote name='lojo' post='1096550' date='Jan 20 2011, 04:51 PM']Im speaking as a non pro who plays with non pros

I get the impression this thread is about helping someone like me, who plays alot, but doesn't read, if that is not the case please tell me and I'll stop posting and leave it to the pros[/quote]
I think advice from all experiences is going to be useful to the OP so stick around... oh and plenty of pros lose the form in a tune like so what... it usually depends on how good the soloist is at pointing out the form with their improvisation.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1097290' date='Jan 21 2011, 11:39 AM']oh and plenty of pros lose the form in a tune like so what... it usually depends on how good the soloist is at pointing out the form with their improvisation.[/quote]

I must admit to being a little worried about getting lost, but if i concentrate on Doddy's advice and listen to the rythmn changes, if it goes a bit wrong I'll just stay calm look confident and half the punters will think the others angst means they've cocked up not me!!

[quote name='morsefull' post='1098106' date='Jan 21 2011, 09:06 PM']I must admit to being a little worried about getting lost, but if i concentrate on Doddy's advice and listen to the rythmn changes, if it goes a bit wrong I'll just stay calm look confident and half the punters will think the others angst means they've cocked up not me!![/quote]

Sorry,I think I've confused you a bit there...When I say 'Rhythm Changes',I was referring to a common set of chord changes that are based on the chords to the time 'I Got Rhythm',and are used for a large number of tunes-'Oleo' and 'The Flintstones' being just two. These changes are almost as common in jazz as blues changes are.

Well... If you ask me, I don't think that "Rhythm Changes" is a good tune to kick off with. Why?
Because two changes per bar may be a little too confusing at the beginning.
And, moreoever, at least in my experience, the most common, if not the only one, version of Changes called is "Oleo", which, most of the times, is called at high tempos, which makes it even worse - lots of changes at a fast tempo..

I think that "Autumn Leaves' is probably the best one to kick it off with. One change per bar (at least in first section), four most common chord qualities (Major, Dominant, minor, half-diminished), and that II V I language, which is foundation of not only jazz, but most modern music.

I don't say that those "Rhythm Changes" don't have all that stuff I mentioned, but, to my mind, they're "second level" of common changes.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1098295' date='Jan 22 2011, 01:19 AM']Sorry,I think I've confused you a bit there...When I say 'Rhythm Changes',I was referring to a common set of chord changes that are based on the chords to the time 'I Got Rhythm',and are used for a large number of tunes-'Oleo' and 'The Flintstones' being just two. These changes are almost as common in jazz as blues changes are.[/quote]

I understood what you mean't Doddy, it was just my feeble attempt at trying to be funny. :)

The thing with Rhythm Changes,is that they pretty essential if you are planning to play jazz gigs. If you are just starting to practice jazz,there are probably other places to begin,but if you jumping into the deep end by going into a gigging situation,I'd recommend learning them.

If you're new to Jazz then I'd recommend some of Thelonius Monk's blues orientated stuff - Blue Monk, Straight No Chaser etc... as these are changes that you'll be familiar with anyway. Let the brass worry about the chromatic lines and have fun (and build your confidence) in playing over I, IV and V chords. Great tune to listen to too.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1099121' date='Jan 23 2011, 12:09 AM']The thing with Rhythm Changes,is that they pretty essential if you are planning to play jazz gigs. If you are just starting to practice jazz,there are probably other places to begin,but if you jumping into the deep end by going into a gigging situation,I'd recommend learning them.[/quote]

I agree with that - it's a must to learn in a long run, though, with my post, I've been essentialy stressing the starting point of it.

Moreoever, Rhythm Changes has the most common chord sequences in jazz (I VI II V) and the middle section is also a very common one (V-V-V-V), so I also take this tune as a very good exercise - in fact, there's a theory, that if you know Blues and Rhythm Changes in all keys, you'll cover about 80% changes happening in jazz. Too good to be true? Well, maybe, but that tune is still a brilliant exercise to my eyes and ears.

Edited by Faithless

Well,
I must admit it. Even though i didn't think it would happen........................................................
..................................................................... it seems........... i'm starting to.............................
rather... um.... like................................................................................................
.......................... jazz :)

Is this normal??

I've only learnt 2 songs.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1104141' date='Jan 26 2011, 06:31 PM']Yeah...that happens :)

What two tunes have you learnt and what parts-melody?,walking over the changes?[/quote]

I've learnt "So what" and "Maiden voyage", with a walking bass line for most of the former (obviously :) ) and eyes closed and concentrate on the rhythm for Maiden voyage. Both very fullfilling.

Found a liking for Bill evans on spotify tonight as well.