Why become a member? ×

Teaching My Dad

Jam

My dad's expressed an interest in starting to play bass, and I'm really looking forward to trying to help him learn, but for some reason I can't think of any songs that are easy enough for a [i]complete [/i]beginner? Bearing in mind he has to cope with fingerstyle playing, fretting, reading tab etc.

He likes Deep Purple, Hendrix, Led Zep, Rod Stewart, Motown, that sort of thing.

Does anyone have any experience helping family members learn bass? I expect some frustration from both sides along the way!

[quote name='Jam' post='1091780' date='Jan 16 2011, 08:34 PM']My dad's expressed an interest in starting to play bass, and I'm really looking forward to trying to help him learn, but for some reason I can't think of any songs that are easy enough for a [i]complete [/i]beginner? Bearing in mind he has to cope with fingerstyle playing, fretting, reading tab etc.

He likes Deep Purple, Hendrix, Led Zep, Rod Stewart, Motown, that sort of thing.

Does anyone have any experience helping family members learn bass? I expect some frustration from both sides along the way![/quote]
Kings of Leon.....Use Somebody.....loads of how to on utube ...like the meerkat says.....simples

[quote name='Jam' post='1091780' date='Jan 16 2011, 08:34 PM']He likes [b]Deep Purple[/b], Hendrix, Led Zep, Rod Stewart, Motown, that sort of thing.

Does anyone have any experience helping family members learn bass? I expect some frustration from both sides along the way![/quote]

Surely [b]Smoke on the water[/b], leaps out at you here ? :)

Edited by daz

When I started playing I was advised to play in squares and triangles and to see what I could find. This lead to some of those good old 3 chord tricks - e.g. B/A/D/B - "hello I love you" by the Doors which is also "Allday, All night" by the Kinks and "Submission"(I think) by the Sex Pistols. This made me feel like I had some repetoire before I started to learn scales..

[quote name='daz' post='1091831' date='Jan 16 2011, 09:05 PM']Surely [b]Smoke on the water[/b], leaps out at you here ? :)[/quote]

The main riff might be ok but I seem to remember there are some arpeggios (?) that might throw a spanner in the works.

And no, I don't think he'd enjoy playing Kings of Leon!

Just finished showing some stuff to my dad.

Wild Thing went down ok.
Smoke on the Water went down very well, didn't stray much from root notes but he really seemed to enjoy it.
Ball of Confusion was awesome, but the fretting hand proved difficult.

Any more songs with just root notes not played too fast and without too much movement round the fretboard?

[quote name='Jam' post='1094545' date='Jan 18 2011, 10:12 PM']Any more songs with just root notes not played too fast and without too much movement round the fretboard?[/quote]
A fair swedge of Bon Scott-era AC/DC & most of the entire Status Quo back catalogue springs to mind. Plus Messrs Evans, Williams & Lancaster are/were absolutely rock-solid players, which can be a help to a new player - Highway To Hell & Roadhouse Blues don't move around too much but have a couple of twists.

From the Led Zep canon, Whole Lotta Love is a satisfying thrash; & in the Purple camp, how about Lazy? It's only a 14-bar blues & roots will probably work just as well as walking. 'Place In Line' off 'Who Do We Think We Are' is another straight-ahead number, as is 'Why Didn't Rosemary' off the 1969 'Deep Purple' album (the one with the Heironymous Bosch cover).

Small Faces? 'Watcha Gonna Do About' it has only three notes (E, D & A), & 'All Or Nothing' is pretty straightforward too.

Pete.

Edited by Bloodaxe

[quote name='theosd' post='1094556' date='Jan 18 2011, 10:22 PM']+1 for Hey Joe, first song I ever played live![/quote]
And another +1 from me too - first song I 'learnt', well I got the roots and the 8th note riff down in about 10 minutes, with a lot of help from a friend, and I was completely hooked from that point on....