Why become a member? ×

Help Needed with tuner!

skej21

I noticed the other day that my rack tuner (korg DTR1000) has red LEDs and my LMIII has a blue LED.

This sounds really picky and OCD, but is it possible to change the LEDs in the Korg from red to blue, so that they match?
I know a blue LED display version of the Korg exists, so would it be as simple as just switching the bulbs?

Any help or (inevitable) useful tales of personal experience would be useful and appreciated.

Thanks in advance

[quote name='skej21' post='1090721' date='Jan 15 2011, 06:20 PM']I noticed the other day that my rack tuner (korg DTR1000) has red LEDs and my LMIII has a blue LED.

This sounds really picky and OCD, but is it possible to change the LEDs in the Korg from red to blue, so that they match?
I know a blue LED display version of the Korg exists, so would it be as simple as just switching the bulbs?

Any help or (inevitable) useful tales of personal experience would be useful and appreciated.

Thanks in advance[/quote]
Can't be OCD because you only just noticed. Simply un-notice and save yourself some cash and hassle and resale value :)

[quote name='skej21' post='1090721' date='Jan 15 2011, 06:20 PM']I noticed the other day that my rack tuner (korg DTR1000) has red LEDs and my LMIII has a blue LED.

I know a blue LED display version of the Korg exists, so would it be as simple as just switching the bulbs?[/quote]

That's a tough question.

Anything that has been manufactured can be dismantled and altered (given time and patience) but it really is dependant on the mechanical and electronic skills of the person making the change plus the availability of suitable parts.
I would guess that the tuner is not densely packed (it's just a guitar tuner in a 19" rack case after all).

If you do decide to go down the 'upgrade' route then you will need some serious soldering skills and need to be aware that LEDs are polarised (i.e. on a single mode LED they will only work if the leads are connected the right way round).

Personally I'd leave it alone or use Happy Jack's suggestion - you got any Quality Street wrappers left over from xmas? :)

Edited by icastle

[quote name='silddx' post='1090725' date='Jan 15 2011, 06:24 PM']Can't be OCD because you only just noticed. Simply un-notice and save yourself some cash and hassle and resale value :)[/quote]
Very good point.

Personally I'd go for something cheap to go with your set up that had green and yellow lights and hence have a multi coloured array. I like lots of colour me.:)

[quote name='icastle' post='1091090' date='Jan 16 2011, 08:17 AM']...If you do decide to go down the 'upgrade' route then you will need some serious soldering skills and need to be aware that LEDs are polarised (i.e. on a single mode LED they will only work if the leads are connected the right way round)...[/quote]
Really? I'd say it's a simple (if a little tedious) job suitable for someone with basic soldering skills upwards.
And identifying the cathode and anode on an LED is electronics 101.

I think it would be a very satisfying mod for a beginner.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1091170' date='Jan 16 2011, 10:51 AM']Really? I'd say it's a simple (if a little tedious) job suitable for someone with basic soldering skills upwards.
And identifying the cathode and anode on an LED is electronics 101.

I think it would be a very satisfying mod for a beginner.[/quote]

Ok.
My rationale for saying that is that the LEDs will be mounted on a PCB.
They need to be desoldered and new ones fitted without damaging the PCB tracks (they lift off of the board if overheated).

Although the round LED in your example has a 'flat' on one side, rectangular LEDs don't - their polarity is given away by lead lengths - those lead lengths will not be recognisable on the PCB as they will have been trimmed off to the same size during manufacture - easy to work that out if the person doing the job has some electronics experience but not so easy if they haven't.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "don't do it or the world will explode" but I felt it only fair to point out the potential problems that someone doing this mod could face... :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1091187' date='Jan 16 2011, 11:09 AM']..Although the round LED in your example has a 'flat' on one side, rectangular LEDs don't - their polarity is given away by lead lengths - those lead lengths will not be recognisable on the PCB as they will have been trimmed off to the same size during manufacture - easy to work that out if the person doing the job has some electronics experience but not so easy if they haven't...[/quote]
Fair point about the pcb but with a decent iron and solder pump and some patience it's easy.
I bet like myself you probably don't look at the flat or the leg lengths (or the wee tags next to the body some have to help identification after snipping) instead just go by looking for the cathode inside. A beginner wouldn't necessarily need to know the whys and wherefores of LEDs but just make sure the side with the "big bit" goes in the same hole as the one that came out. :)

I just want to encourage folk to take up new challenges and not scare them off before reaching the 1st hurdle. Everyone has to start somewhere.