Why become a member? ×

Euphonic Audio ohmage?

sockdeluxe_mikey

[quote name='BassBod' post='1077070' date='Jan 4 2011, 10:03 AM']Sudden battery death in an old Wal ProIIE. Went from normal to dead in about three mins...and taking the (fragile) battery cover off needed a small screwdriver.

Eden Traveler amp overheating and cutting out - I've since discovered this was because I was running it at 2ohms, as Euphonic Audio put 8ohm ratings on cabs containing 4ohm speakers. Thanks for that.[/quote]

Is this true? My cabinet is supposed to be 8 ohms :)

Yep - but I didn't find out until a few years later when I sold the cabs on...and one got damaged by a courier. The new owner (here on BC a few weeks ago) took the original driver out, and it was clearly labelled 4 ohm, despite the cab being marked externally as 8 ohm. I have no idea if they still do that..or why they did it (on the CXL series). I replaced the Eden with a EA500, but it was rated to run down to 2ohms anyway. Never even got warm.

All I can suggest is look at the speaker inside your cab for makers info..or ask EA?

[quote name='BassBod' post='1079033' date='Jan 5 2011, 07:22 PM']Yep - but I didn't find out until a few years later when I sold the cabs on...and one got damaged by a courier. The new owner (here on BC a few weeks ago) took the original driver out, and it was clearly labelled 4 ohm, despite the cab being marked externally as 8 ohm. I have no idea if they still do that..or why they did it (on the CXL series). I replaced the Eden with a EA500, but it was rated to run down to 2ohms anyway. Never even got warm.

All I can suggest is look at the speaker inside your cab for makers info..or ask EA?[/quote]

Hang on though... If it contains TWO 4ohm drivers then it is perfectly feasible that the cab was 8ohms! It just depends how they are wired but x2 4ohm drivers can be wired to 2ohms OR 8ohms.

I owned a few CLX112's and were all 4ohm drivers (in 8 ohm cabs). I emailed EA regarding using multiple cabs and questioned the use of 4ohm drivers. I got a very prompt reply from them basically saying that the multiple use of the cabs was ok due to the drivers being about 6ohms rather than 4ohms.

I wish I had kept the email now!

[quote name='BassBod' post='1079033' date='Jan 5 2011, 07:22 PM']Yep - but I didn't find out until a few years later when I sold the cabs on...and one got damaged by a courier. The new owner (here on BC a few weeks ago) took the original driver out, and it was clearly labelled 4 ohm, despite the cab being marked externally as 8 ohm. I have no idea if they still do that..or why they did it (on the CXL series). I replaced the Eden with a EA500, but it was rated to run down to 2ohms anyway. Never even got warm.

All I can suggest is look at the speaker inside your cab for makers info..or ask EA?[/quote]

It did say 4ohms but there was also tweeter and board in there which i guessed might have affected things. Thread here:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=112640"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=112640[/url]

The EA cab is getting plenty of use in it's new "diet" form btw!

[size=1]Edited cos i'm stupid![/size]

Edited by lemmywinks

It could well be the case. My EA '8 ohm' 1 x 12's have 4 ohm speakers in them. There is a concentric tweeter too and I'm not sure if that colours the final impedance equation.

Don't forget that the AE heads these cabs were designed around go down to 2 ohms anyway. Dave Perry had his Markbass head cutting out with my two cabs which is partly why he sold them to me, a EA iAmp 800 user :)

Driver impedance is not as simple as a single number would suggest either, it's a nominal impedance and it changes with frequency I believe.

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

Are we talking single or multiple driver cabs?

As has been pointed out it is a nominal impedance (though I agree why not put 4ohms on the back of a cab if it contains ONE driver that is stamped 4ohm). I recall that when several companies were bringing out cabs in the not too distant past, with drivers in multiples of threes (3x10 6x10 etc), that they were badged on the back as 4 or 8 ohm cabs yet when checked internally they were found to be wired to 3ohms or 6ohms... but nobody wants to be trying to work to 3/6ohms so they patently rounded to what we bassists know best!

The cab in question was/is a single ten, with a co-ax tweeter. My understanding is that the tweeter's impedance isn't as significant as the woofer. I often used a pair of them for louder gigs, hence the problem (I was driving a 2ohm load, rather than the 4ohm I expected from the cabs labelled spec) .

I know that speaker impedance isn't a simple given value (varies with frequecy etc) but I was very surprised at the 4 ohm driver....and it explained why the Eden Traveler (older 400w version) complained and overheated!

Good to hear the cab is now now performing again, after its dramatic weight loss - they were great cabs, but just too heavy for their size.