Why become a member? ×

Bass Whammy

blind pilot

Seeing as the price for these used seems to be going up and up, I though I would fire Digitech an email to ask if they had any plans to re-introduce them...........................Their reply:

[i][email protected] to me
show details 5:16 PM (15 hours ago)

Hi,
There are no current plans to reissue the Bass Whammy.[/i]

Oh bugger then, Anyone want a Kidney?

Unfortunately , the are rather pricey as you've noticed. When these first came out, the wholesaler sent me
a guitar version which I swiftly returned.(Don't know if I regret this or not).
These came out around the same time as the Boss -ME8B and the Boss got more favourable feedback
from the reviewrs at the time. I went with the Boss . I missed out on a Bass Whammy on flea bay (Swiss seller) .
Outbid by £5.00 . Bidding finished while I was in bed.Oh, well.
The way things are , these cost as much as a bass itself nowadays.Maybe if you've got a bass to part exchange or something, someone may have one.
But then, is it worth it... :)

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='1072733' date='Dec 30 2010, 02:10 PM']Unfortunately , the are rather pricey as you've noticed. When these first came out, the wholesaler sent me
a guitar version which I swiftly returned.(Don't know if I regret this or not).
These came out around the same time as the Boss -ME8B and the Boss got more favourable feedback
from the reviewrs at the time. I went with the Boss . I missed out on a Bass Whammy on flea bay (Swiss seller) .
Outbid by £5.00 . Bidding finished while I was in bed.Oh, well.
The way things are , these cost as much as a bass itself nowadays.Maybe if you've got a bass to part exchange or something, someone may have one.
But then, is it worth it... :)[/quote]

Its just a crazy amount of money, just for the one song (Schism)

I may get to use it on other stuff, but its doubtful.

Have been looking at this [url="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/45806-digitech-bp80-bass-modelling-processor.html"]http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/4580...-processor.html[/url].

It has the Oct up whammy function, but my only concern is its not as good as the "real" one? and £75 is too much to waste if its cack?

Gas is bad mkay!

I have mailed Digitech again, to ask how similar the two pedals would be, see what they say I suppose.

There is A Bass Whammy on the bay in Japan right now $520 dollars BIN, so by the time you add shipping and get stung on import duty, thats a lot of beer tokens!

BP

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='1072827' date='Dec 30 2010, 03:33 PM']Just get an XP-100, less than £100, has more modes than the bass whammy, and it has the fabled 5'th up/octave up that the bass whammy seems to be prized for and it sounds great with bass. The bass whammy does sound slightly better, but not £400 better.[/quote]

+1

yeh +2. I have an XP-100 and it's great.

Having said that, i've now started playing most of my harmonies to get a "better" sound. Why anyone would bother using a pedal for a 5th up when you can just play it... I like the whammy for the octave up when I can't get any higher, and for the pitch bending, and when it's in a feedback loop.

Edited by cheddatom

[quote name='Mark Latimour' post='1079730' date='Jan 6 2011, 12:28 PM']Get an Eventide Pitchfactor, far more features and far more flexible and less than the price of a used Whammy nowdays. And, IMO, it sounds a lot better than the Whammy.[/quote]

Sensible advice.

[quote name='blind pilot' post='1079839' date='Jan 6 2011, 01:48 PM']WOW, looks a nice bit of kit, but new they are over £350.00 plus you then have to factor in the expression pedal. Have seen the red Whammy IV's for £150.00![/quote]

You can get a wh-4 for about £100 2'nd hand, xp-100's can generally be had for less than £100.

I had both for a while, and If you're going to do tool covers, I think the xp-100 is the best bet.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Just thought I would bump this one......

I stole an XP-100 off t'bay for £75 shipped.... had a run through last night on my own.

It is spot on, to me it sound more 'like' the bass whammy when compared to the WH-4. plus with all the extra modes it was nice to play intension......

It really has come at a good time, as we are now moving towards a Tool tribute act, Even have a BR-2 coming as well.

Thanks for all the advice up there, I am a happy Chappy!