Why become a member? ×

Hello everyone

AndyZed750

Hi there i'm Andy from Sutton in Surrey (southern England).
Fast approaching 40 years old and bought my first Bass in October this year.
Originally wanted one as a kid after seeing Bootsy Collins on TV's Rock School in the 80's, but couldn't afford one so settled for a harmonica :) .
In the earlly 1990's i was a massive Chili Peppers fan but lost interest when the dissapointing album One hot minute came out.
Fast forward to this year and got back into the Chili's buying Californication,By The Way and Stadium Arcadium and thats all i've been listening to (apart from Jamiroquai who i'm also into).

It was then i suddenly 'saw the light' and got the calling of the Bass after again loving the work of Mike Balzary (Flea).
Bought an Ashton 'kit' from Rockbotton in Croydon and absolutely love it and struggle to put it down, much to the annoyance of my missus who bought me a Vox headphone amp and headphones for christmnas LOL.
Not a particullarly intelligent sort of bloke and can't read music so am learning by tabs or usually the bass
song lessons on YouTube.

Hope to get lots of hep from you guy's and gals on here.
Many thanks.
Andy

Hi Andy, bet I can guess what you ride. :)

My first bass came from a junk shop at the bottom of Sutton High St and my second was from Rockbottom, so we've got a few things in common there. Never had a Z750 though. :)

Welcome to the forum.

Edited by Musky

[quote name='Ajrt' post='1070662' date='Dec 27 2010, 11:59 PM']Welcome. Flea was why I started too :) . There's some great bass covers of rhcp on youtube, have a look at the videos of davidsinrocks.[/quote]

I watch one of his video's at least once a day. I think the guy is awesome.Can't believe he's only been playing for 4 years.
Thanks mate.

[quote name='Musky' post='1070664' date='Dec 28 2010, 12:00 AM']Hi Andy, bet I can guess what you ride. :)

My first bass came from a junk shop at the bottom of Sutton High St and my second was from Rockbottom, so we've got a few things in common there. Never had a Z750 though. :lol:

Welcome to the forum.[/quote]

Excellent stuff, do you live in the area?
LOL yes i do love my Kawasaki and you can regularly find me at Box Hill on a sunday. :)
Thanks for the welcome.

[quote name='AndyZed750' post='1070673' date='Dec 28 2010, 12:07 AM']Excellent stuff, do you live in the area?
LOL yes i do love my Kawasaki and you can regularly find me at Box Hill on a sunday. :)
Thanks for the welcome.[/quote]
I was brought up in Sutton but moved out in the mid eighties. Still have friends and family there though.

Do you still get people tearing along the the A25 on one wheel, chased by a cop on a BM? :)

[quote name='Hobbayne' post='1071288' date='Dec 28 2010, 09:30 PM']Oh yes, I remember Rock School :) Deidre Cartwright on guitar, Henry Thomas on bass.... :)
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockschool"]Rock School[/url][/quote]

Good times, i think the thing that people do now days would be to start a Facebook page 'bring back Rock School' .lol

[quote name='MuckedUpFunkies' post='1071597' date='Dec 29 2010, 11:44 AM']wow am i the only one who thinks flea is MASSIVELY overrated? I mean hes not Jaco or Wooten =L[/quote]

Like i said in my post i've been a big Chili's fan on and off for a while so to me its about the music he makes with the rest of the band as well as his tone and also his high energy. I'm new to the Bass so as time goes on maybe my views on his playing ability will change BUT i really hope it doesn't and i don't think it will, as its his sound along with that Bootsy clip that got me to finally buy a bass.

[quote name='MuckedUpFunkies' post='1071597' date='Dec 29 2010, 11:44 AM']wow am i the only one who thinks flea is MASSIVELY overrated? I mean hes not Jaco or Wooten =L[/quote]
Flea may not have the technical prowess of Wooten, but I find his stuff much better to listen to, and I like the fact he uses the bass within the context of a band, ie. its not all about him. I think he deserves the praise he gets.

[quote name='el borracho' post='1075826' date='Jan 2 2011, 10:15 PM']You have just triggered a long forgotten memory - I can actually remember what Bootsy played - I just picked up my bass and played it - or at least an attempt at it :)[/quote]

:) Which one, the lesson or the bit he does at the end of the program? There both on YouTube.

Hi Andy

Welcome and Happy New Year. At 37, I recently started playing the bass too . . . still rubbish, still learning and looking to take some lessons early in the new year, but loving it all the same!

ps . I ride an Aprillia Shiver (bizzare name but awesome sound with the twin Akros) - used to have a Z750 which I just loved. Funnily enough I was in Box Hill this morning, for a walk with the family rather than on 2 wheels though.

Christian.

[quote name='CJPJ' post='1076585' date='Jan 3 2011, 06:12 PM']Hi Andy

Welcome and Happy New Year. At 37, I recently started playing the bass too . . . still rubbish, still learning and looking to take some lessons early in the new year, but loving it all the same!

ps . I ride an Aprillia Shiver (bizzare name but awesome sound with the twin Akros) - used to have a Z750 which I just loved. Funnily enough I was in Box Hill this morning, for a walk with the family rather than on 2 wheels though.

Christian.[/quote]

Good to hear i'm not the only late starter on the bass. I think i know what your bike looks like, same style as Ducati Monster?
Hope to see you up at Rykas some time.

[quote name='AndyZed750' post='1076664' date='Jan 3 2011, 07:24 PM']Good to hear i'm not the only late starter on the bass. I think i know what your bike looks like, same style as Ducati Monster?
Hope to see you up at Rykas some time.[/quote]

Likewise - it's similar but a bit wierd (but cool) with dual underseat exhausts.

Mmmmm, bacon burger and coffee early on warm sunday morning........