Why become a member? ×

Strings going out of phase

AsterL

Hello,

I'm having a bit of trouble with my 2008 Musicman Stingray. Everytime I put a new set of strings on it, One or more of the strings (Will be perfectly intune and perfect intonated) will have a weird phasing sound on it. The problem mostly occurs on the d and the a string. I have tried many different set of string and it happens with all different types of guages. It also only happens when playing the open string

I know this sounds like an odd problem. Here is a video [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa6F5j8q13w"]Bass Problem[/url]
Listen to when I play the 3rd string. I play the g and e first and then the d and a strings which are the problems one. I'm using a set of Power Slinky's that I put on 2 minutes before.
Is there anything I can do to stop this?

Edited by AsterL

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1070461' date='Dec 27 2010, 08:14 PM']has it got a compensated nut or one of those ordinary one? I also suspect is the nut, remove the strings and use a pencil tip to lay some led in the slots.[/quote]

Yes it does have one of them, I shall give that a go!

Is the action very low? I mean do your string buzz even when played open? Also... you are playing what is a 9V active bass through what looks like a tiny amp (no disrespect) have you tried it through a bigger amp / speaker? I have a feeling that the impedance of your bass might be a little too much for that ickle amp to handle, try the same with your bass volume down a couple of (imaginary) notches say from 10 to 8 or... 11 to 9 if yours go to 11 :)

Hmm, one thing the D and A have in common is that they both go under the string tree. Have you checked that the tree is firmly screwed in?

If it's not that or a dodgy string then the problem must be to do with the bridge or nut. Try the following one by one to see if you can isolate which:

1. Press the D string down just behind the second fret and while its 'fretted' tap on the string just above the first fret. There should be a slight click or ping as it hits the first fret indicating that there is some slight clearance and that the nut is cut correctly. If there's no click/ping then the nut may have been cut too deep (can be easily fixed with a little super glue) and the open D+A strings may just be grazing the first fret

2. Loosen all strings, place something like an allen key under the strings in front of the nut (put a business card underneath it to protect the fingerboard) so that the strings go over this rather than the nut itself to take the nut out of the equation, bring D+A strings up to tune and check

3. Raise the D+A saddles at the bridge a turn or two to make sure you're getting good string contact over the saddle and check

Then report back!

When you are installing new strings,do you wrap them round the posts a few turns before tuning up?This can cause that weird 'phasing' effect you're talking about.I used to do that a lot until I discovered thats what was causing the problem.Try removing the offending strings and then re-install them,without first wrapping them round the post.Take up the slack by using the machine head.Worked for me.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1070495' date='Dec 27 2010, 08:36 PM']Is the action very low? I mean do your string buzz even when played open? Also... you are playing what is a 9V active bass through what looks like a tiny amp (no disrespect) have you tried it through a bigger amp / speaker? I have a feeling that the impedance of your bass might be a little too much for that ickle amp to handle, try the same with your bass volume down a couple of (imaginary) notches say from 10 to 8 or... 11 to 9 if yours go to 11 :)[/quote]

No the action is relatively high, and yes I have tried it through my Ashdown Rig (210 abm combo with 212 cab underneath) Same thing, I dont think its anything electrical as the bass does still have the phasing when played acoustically.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1070496' date='Dec 27 2010, 08:39 PM']f*** me! 55 to 110 gauge is massive compared to the average 40/45 and by average I mean as in most used by bassists worldwide. That might be the reason that a couple of strings aren't too happy in the slots.

But try first with a lower volume on the bass.[/quote]

Yea I like me string beefy :) Will give it a go in the morning

[quote name='squire5' post='1070615' date='Dec 27 2010, 10:47 PM']When you are installing new strings,do you wrap them round the posts a few turns before tuning up?This can cause that weird 'phasing' effect you're talking about.I used to do that a lot until I discovered thats what was causing the problem.Try removing the offending strings and then re-install them,without first wrapping them round the post.Take up the slack by using the machine head.Worked for me.[/quote]

Yes I do actually, Will also give that a go and let you know how it goes!

[quote name='squire5' post='1070615' date='Dec 27 2010, 10:47 PM']When you are installing new strings,do you wrap them round the posts a few turns before tuning up?This can cause that weird 'phasing' effect you're talking about.I used to do that a lot until I discovered thats what was causing the problem.Try removing the offending strings and then re-install them,without first wrapping them round the post.Take up the slack by using the machine head.Worked for me.[/quote]

+1

Strings with a twist do this.

G.

Is the problem still there when you fret notes rather than just playing open strings? And does the frequency of the warbling change as you play higher notes?

If so, then I've just had the same problem on my Rockbass after I fitted new pickups to it. I wondered if the pickups were too high and it was some strange result of the magnets pulling the strings. Lowering the pickups certainly reduced the effect. So that might be something you could look into.

Thats quite common on Rays Mart good point. There is certainly a point where it makes a phasing sound once the pup is too high and close to the strings and often on Rays as people are trying to get the dreaded G string louder and pull the G end up instead of getting it close as possible and comfortable then taking the over powerful E end away to get the balance right. All of my Rays have been quiet-just right-then sort of phasey, The best way is to adjust whilst playing in a band mix at practice by turning the adjusting screw to find the best spot before it goes overly weak again.