Why become a member? ×

Strings going out of phase

AsterL

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1071111' date='Dec 28 2010, 05:10 PM']Just reread and watched the clip now I see it does it acousticaly so ignore my rubbish above although its still the right way for sorting a Rays weak G!
Them massive strings cant be doing it any good IMO how did you get into using 55's?![/quote]

If it was an issue with the magnets from the pickups then it [i]would[/i] happen acoustically as well as when amplified. But I should have read the OP more closely:

[quote name='AsterL' post='1070402' date='Dec 27 2010, 07:25 PM'].....
It also only happens when playing the open string
....[/quote]

That's quite different to my problem and seems clearly to be caused by the nut not suiting the strings.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1071233' date='Dec 28 2010, 08:26 PM']Yup, that is what it sounds like when you twist the string as you install it.[/quote]

I'm intrigued by this concept as I've never heard of it an hav always wrapped the string around the peg a few times to get it started. Never experience the issue describe here and I've of thought it was a nut issue, but if I do in the future are people basically saying to use just the machine head to coil the string rather than starting by hand and letting th machine head finish the job?

Shep

I had not heard it either... but then once I removed strings to clean bass, and after refitting I had a phaser sound on my E string only. It drove me nuts until I noticed I had inserted a twist in it, more than 180 degrees. I refitted carefully and it was fine, so I blamed the twist. I encountered this just once more.

Edited by mcnach

[b]Im a bit lost now can we have a summary so far?[/b] :)
Does putting something like some thick paper under all four strings and bringing it back into tune solve it?
Which strings do it?
Is it only when playing open strings?
Does a twist seem possible as you have said you have tried lots of new strings, So for it to happen more than once and to be the same string is odd?
Have you got a set of 45's to try and see if they get rid of it?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1071473' date='Dec 29 2010, 09:19 AM']Im a bit lost now can we have a summary so far? :)
Does putting something like some thick paper under all four strings and bringing it back into tune solve it?
Which strings do it?
Is it only when playing open strings?
[b]Does a twist seem possible as you have said you have tried lots of new strings, So for it to happen more than once and to be the same string is odd?[/b]
Have you got a set of 45's to try and see if they get rid of it?[/quote]
This is why I've butted out and let the conspiracies run a little further until we get some proper feedback about this phenomenon. :)

I even went as far as intentionally putting some twists in a string to test this theory.... nothing.

I have my Ray5 in my hands now and from what I can see a 55 would not go in the G slot unmodified anyway? I still think the problem stems from them big clutch cables, Who has cut the nut on a 2008 onwards Ray in the first place? :) The first thing I would be doing is getting a new nut installed along with a set of 40's or 45's.

If it only happens on open strings it has to be the nut. It's the only difference between a fretted and open note - the string twists, the high pickups, everything else is there when he plays open and fretted. If it goes away when he plays a fret then it really suggests the nut is the problem here.

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1071574' date='Dec 29 2010, 11:30 AM']If it only happens on open strings it has to be the nut. It's the only difference between a fretted and open note - the string twists, the high pickups, everything else is there when he plays open and fretted. If it goes away when he plays a fret then it really suggests the nut is the problem here.[/quote]

I agree although there are the tuning pegs and their ferrules and the string tree all of which I have had this noise from before too. I would be surprised if a MM tuner had a rattle but the tree could be loose (someone metioned it before but the OP never said if they had checked it?). I have been looking at my compensated nut and a 60 gauge string on another bass (D-string) and to fit a 55 in the original G slot would need some work so if the rest of the string gauges are oversized too someone has been nut filing? Although the other slots (B E A D) are V shaped to take a range of strings if its too big it will just be resting on the sides of the nut pushing sideways cant be good for many reasons can it?

• 3 weeks later...

Ironically I took an interest in this thread as it was an unusual concept that Inhadnt experience or heard of...

However I changed my strings from light's to mediums today and my D string is phasing!!!! Definitely no twist. It's sat firmly in the nut with no issues. I'll try the pickup height tomorrow and if it's still there then the lights are going back on!!

Shep

you can usually feel a twisted string 'rolling' under your right hand fingertips (right handed player). can't imagine a slight twist causing any major problems. especially not on the same two strings, every time with that many sets. could be wrong, i'll have to research that one. interesting thread. i would instinctively say any phasing issues were a pickup problem.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1071535' date='Dec 29 2010, 10:44 AM']I even went as far as intentionally putting some twists in a string to test this theory.... nothing.[/quote]

Sure I read on Frets.com about deliberately twisting strings to tighten the windings, did you intentional twist go with or against the winding?

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1088703' date='Jan 13 2011, 10:40 PM']Ironically I took an interest in this thread as it was an unusual concept that Inhadnt experience or heard of...

However I changed my strings from light's to mediums today and my D string is phasing!!!! Definitely no twist. It's sat firmly in the nut with no issues. I'll try the pickup height tomorrow and if it's still there then the lights are going back on!!

Shep[/quote]
ha. it's contagious.