Why become a member? ×

BC'ers SX bass gallery

neilb

[quote name='Super Bass' post='162493' date='Mar 24 2008, 03:26 AM']Here's my baby :)

As you can see, I've done some work on 'er.
It's now got a Mighty Mite ebanol boarded fretless neck, Reverend 10K P pickup, and a Badass II. It has to be THE lightest bass I've ever played now, it clocks in at 2.5kg or 5.5lbs. ;)

:huh:[/quote]

Not really an SX anymore then! Haha.

[quote name='jono b' post='161797' date='Mar 22 2008, 02:05 PM']The headstock on these looks pretty SX'y: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350037097151&indexURL=0#ebayphotohosting"]Light Crust Doughboys Precision[/url]. Nice colour combo, brilliant name too :)[/quote]

Yep I'd say that is the same. I'm sure they badge them.
Shame it's in the US ...
That one's sold but there's a white/tortie one with a BIN of £100 (plus 75 quid shipping and then the tax/duty mallarchy)
A bit much for a kooky headstock decal and the "wrong" tuners ...

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='161856' date='Mar 22 2008, 05:02 PM']SX don't make a 5 string precision bass yet, do they?[/quote]

I know Neil_B said they did, but I thought I better tell you about this. I was thinking about joining the SX club after falling in love with the picture of the all black PJ, but it's got to be a 5 string for me.

I decided to mail Kurt and ask him if they were likely to get one in - this is the reply I got (including typos!):

[i] " Thans - no I don't think it's likely they will have a 5 SPJ - no easy source of a 5 string P pickup

Kurt "[/i]

Can I ask you all a (possibly dumb-ass) question here - if I bought the 4 string, would I be able to fit a five string neck and bridge without needing major surgery?

I have seen custom 5-string P pickups which I would want to fit anyway. This would definitely be a long-term customisation if I did go for it.

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='168784' date='Apr 2 2008, 10:14 PM']I know Neil_B said they did, but I thought I better tell you about this. I was thinking about joining the SX club after falling in love with the picture of the all black PJ, but it's got to be a 5 string for me.

I decided to mail Kurt and ask him if they were likely to get one in - this is the reply I got (including typos!):

[i] " Thans - no I don't think it's likely they will have a 5 SPJ - no easy source of a 5 string P pickup

Kurt "[/i]

Can I ask you all a (possibly dumb-ass) question here - if I bought the 4 string, would I be able to fit a five string neck and bridge without needing major surgery?

I have seen custom 5-string P pickups which I would want to fit anyway. This would definitely be a long-term customisation if I did go for it.[/quote]

The show stopper would be if the 5 string neck didn't fit the 4 string P neck pocket.
I can measure my precion pocket if you want a rough estimate.

[quote name='OldGit' post='168916' date='Apr 3 2008, 09:35 AM']The show stopper would be if the 5 string neck didn't fit the 4 string P neck pocket.
I can measure my precion pocket if you want a rough estimate.[/quote]

That would be a great start, thanks! The problem you mentioned is the main one I'm worried about.

I would have to buy a neck as well, so don't know what those dimensions are either. What am I getting myself into...?? :)

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='168935' date='Apr 3 2008, 10:00 AM']That would be a great start, thanks! The problem you mentioned is the main one I'm worried about.

I would have to buy a neck as well, so don't know what those dimensions are either. What am I getting myself into...?? :)[/quote]

Oh just buy a yamaha BB :huh:

[quote name='OldGit' post='168954' date='Apr 3 2008, 11:17 AM']Oh just buy a yamaha BB :)[/quote]

I suppose. I am fairly happy with my Cort C5, but I fancied having a go at building/modding my own bass, on the P or J style, preferably P or PJ because I've always played Jazzes in the past and fancied something different. That is the only reason for being interested in another bass.

With a wife and two hungry pussycats to support, the SX's looked like a cheap starting point. Much easier to explain and justify when forking out now and then for bits than to buy something more expensive outright!

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='168963' date='Apr 3 2008, 11:30 AM']I suppose. I am fairly happy with my Cort C5, but I fancied having a go at building/modding my own bass, on the P or J style, preferably P or PJ because I've always played Jazzes in the past and fancied something different. That is the only reason for being interested in another bass.

With a wife and two hungry pussycats to support, the SX's looked like a cheap starting point. Much easier to explain and justify when forking out now and then for bits than to buy something more expensive outright![/quote]

I understand :)
Those cats can take a big chunk out of your gear budget :huh:

Well according to my cheap Chinese micrometer ..
Neck width at 15th fret: 60mm (same at the heel side too)
from the end of neck to front of socket (by eye ..) 96mm
from the back of the neck at the pocket joint to the fingerboard 26.4mm

That's all I can do without dismantling stuff...

[quote name='OldGit' post='169198' date='Apr 3 2008, 03:35 PM']That's all I can do without dismantling stuff...[/quote]

Wow, thanks OG, you went further than I expected. I'm taking my time on this, hoping to suss out what's on offer everywhere before I jump.

I've not joined the SX crew just yet...!

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='168784' date='Apr 2 2008, 11:14 PM']I know Neil_B said they did, but I thought I better tell you about this. I was thinking about joining the SX club after falling in love with the picture of the all black PJ, but it's got to be a 5 string for me.

Kurt "[/i][/quote]

Looks like Neil_B was right all along - I musn't have asked the question clearly. Please see further correspondence with Kurt below:

[i]----- Original Message -----
To: 'Kurt'
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2008 5:38 AM

Thanks for the speedy reply and info Kurt.

I am actually interested in the P body shape, rather than the pickups themselves. I notice that Squier do a 5 string P–bodied bass, but it has two jazz style pickups, instead of a P and a J.

Do SX do anything like that?

Sent: 04 April 2008 12:42

The 5 string P is a standard SX model - sold now hope to have back by later spring

[url="http://www.rondomusic.com/spb61413ts.html"]http://www.rondomusic.com/spb61413ts.html[/url]

Kurt[/i]

I think I may hold off for one of these - unless something comes along in the meantime!

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='169752' date='Apr 4 2008, 01:02 PM']Looks like Neil_B was right all along - I musn't have asked the question clearly. Please see further correspondence with Kurt below:

I am actually interested in the P body shape, rather than the pickups themselves. I notice that Squier do a 5 string P–bodied bass, but it has two jazz style pickups, instead of a P and a J.

The 5 string P is a standard SX model - sold now hope to have back by later spring

[url="http://www.rondomusic.com/spb61413ts.html"]http://www.rondomusic.com/spb61413ts.html[/url]

Kurt[/i]

I think I may hold off for one of these - unless something comes along in the meantime![/quote]

:)

Glad you found it. Orange neck or not, for silly bucks its a nice bass.

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='169752' date='Apr 4 2008, 01:02 PM']Looks like Neil_B was right all along - I musn't have asked the question clearly. Please see further correspondence with Kurt below:

Kurt[/i]

I think I may hold off for one of these - unless something comes along in the meantime![/quote]

Yeah Changing the plate and front pup to a P pup would be possible if you can use a router
As Kev says though, the standard necks are very orange ...

[quote name='WarPig' post='170329' date='Apr 5 2008, 05:02 PM']Nearly done modding mine :huh: Just need the gold strings ;) The bandmates have coined it 'the bling bass' :)[/quote]

A guy on US eBay does a gold knob plate and covers if you really want to go that way ..
Item number: 260220532978

A quick question about the SX 5s: Rondo describes them as 4+1, is that just a reference to the headstock layout or is it because it's a 4 string neck with 5 strings on it? The necks look pretty skinny.
[url="http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb75c41ash.html"]Link[/url] to a 5 string 75-style SX Jazz bass

From memory, a lot of the Rondo pages tell you the dimensions of the neck, and OG has already posted dimensions of his 4 string.

I think there is a difference, but not massive. I get the feeling that the P bass I asked about and the jazzes have the same neck?

I think the 4+1 is a reference to the headstock.

[quote name='jono b' post='170655' date='Apr 6 2008, 12:40 PM']A quick question about the SX 5s: Rondo describes them as 4+1, is that just a reference to the headstock layout or is it because it's a 4 string neck with 5 strings on it? The necks look pretty skinny.
[url="http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb75c41ash.html"]Link[/url] to a 5 string 75-style SX Jazz bass[/quote]

I have the 4 string version of this neck on my P and it looks nicer than the very tanned ones..

[quote name='budget bassist' post='171053' date='Apr 6 2008, 11:08 PM']Quick question, are the necks on the SX jazzes gloss or satin finishes?[/quote]

Gloss but a swift application of 800 grit soon sorts that out ...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=11331&view=findpost&p=153000"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=153000[/url]