Why become a member? ×

Pedulla MVP Custom 4 (1989). SOLD SOLD SOLD

eubassix

Pedulla MVP Custom 4 bass, USA hand built with through neck. Has been modified (in one case by necessity) but is now in excellent overall condition and plays really well. There is an area of buckle rash on the back of the instrument and some laquer/colour has worn off at the neck/body join (E-side) where a previous owner must have rested his thumb. The input jack has been replaced and reinforced (brass jack-plate, which is not original) at some point, where there is a break in the original wood construction. All of these are purely cosmetic & don’t affect the sound and playability. The back of the bass represents the true/original colour of the bass (peacock blue/translucent). I did ask Pedulla if this faded top/finish was an option in those early days and got the following reply:-
[i]Hi, David. That serial # was the MVP model, made in 1989.The original detailed sales record is currently unavailable, so I can't confirm what the original color/finish was. In 1989, "Custom" indicated it had "A" grade Flame Maple and the hardware color was gold. We used Schaller hardware back then. It appears that there have been several things done to the bass since then, including electronics changes and jack area modification. Regards, Christine[/i]
Although Pedulla seem unsure, I believe the top/front of the bass has simply faded over time (possibly due to the way it might have been stored). The neck is straight (truss-rod easy in both directions) and with the ebony fingerboard provides great sustain. The Bartolini electronics and pickups have been completely upgraded to the newer version used in the latest models, with bass, treble, mid stack and separate p/up controls. The controls are now: stacked p/up controls, mids +/- (with pull/boost) and stacked bass/treble. I’ve also changed the original gold hardware (available, if required, as are the original pots+wiring) to black – with Schaller tuners and a quick-change (slot-in) black bridge. Comes in original hard case (fully functional, but the tolex is badly marked with some areas missing) and with the original Pedulla truss-rod key and instructions.
[b]SOLD [/b]for Xmas

Edited by eubassix

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1058782' date='Dec 14 2010, 06:07 PM']My fave question Dave... what does it weigh? :)[/quote]

Good (usual) Q. John: it's 8.8 lbs. on the digi-scales.
Wasn't sure if it was your sort of thing (?).
I'll add some more specs./details this evening.

When I bought my new old stock MVP from A1 Music in Manchester in 1994?) they had another Pedulla in that looked very like this, with a faded "washed" green finish, although I seem to remember it was all over (could be wrong though). It was a fantastic bass, as was mine. one of the nicest I've ever played IMO.

If I had the funds (wrapped up in my custom Rim) I'd be all over this. Best of luck with the sale.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='4000' post='1062432' date='Dec 18 2010, 01:16 PM']When I bought my new old stock MVP from A1 Music in Manchester in 1994?) they had another Pedulla in that looked very like this, with a faded "washed" green finish, although I seem to remember it was all over (could be wrong though). It was a fantastic bass, as was mine. one of the nicest I've ever played IMO.
If I had the funds (wrapped up in my custom Rim) I'd be all over this. Best of luck with the sale.[/quote]

Thanks 4K - interesting to know that this might be an unusual factory finish

[quote name='MalGanis' post='1062865' date='Dec 18 2010, 07:57 PM']Hmmm, very nice bass, maybe I would be interested in buying it but not sure, I will follow the thread. By the way, could it be shipped to Spain?[/quote]

... I might be able to ship to Spain; but I'm not sure. I'll follow your lead.

[quote name='eubassix' post='1063369' date='Dec 19 2010, 11:28 AM']Thanks 4K - interesting to know that this might be an unusual factory finish[/quote]

Of course it could actually be the same bass, although I seem to remember the back being more like the front, if you will. It's a long time ago though so I could be wrong; maybe they are one and the same? I'm pretty sure it was a factory finish because both MVPs were new old stock and this was years ago.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='4000' post='1063632' date='Dec 19 2010, 03:53 PM']Of course it could actually be the same bass, although I seem to remember the back being more like the front, if you will. It's a long time ago though so I could be wrong; maybe they are one and the same? I'm pretty sure it was a factory finish because both MVPs were new old stock and this was years ago.[/quote]

Are you sure it is not just as simple as it has sazt in the sun too long? That is what it looks like in th photos you posted.

Wish I had the bread, but that grain on the top is sorta an acquired taste, too.
Not wishing to diss the bass or anything.

Like I said, wish I had the bread.

Ivan - who fell in love with a Pentabuzz in 1982 and couldn`t justify buying one at the time!
I coulda had a redhead and the buzz for under $3K. *sigh*