Why become a member? ×

another project, a psychadelic bass

umph

Right this started life as my first bass, a squire precision jobbie. All i have left of it now is the body so i thought i'd get off my arse and sort it out into a playable bass again!

i sanded down the body before and did a bit of a pigs ear of it, so i've flatted it back in an attempt to get it flat and it's come out quite funky. I'm gonna keep it passive and i've got a nice 70's dimarzio pick up that nails the motown sound, i've no idea what the model is but its great.

Plan from now is to, get it alot flatter and then finish the body in a gloss. Then to build a pair of necks for it (fretted / fretless) maple + rosewood fretboard. I'll try and keep this updated!

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='1050852' date='Dec 7 2010, 06:41 PM']I like it :)

Very em...different[/quote]

haha yes its what happens when you use a belt sander to try and strip a finish. I think i'm part the way there to rescuing it though!

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1050896' date='Dec 7 2010, 07:12 PM']Works for me. I missed out on a 70s Dimarzio pickup recently on EBay... I wasn't pipped by you was I?[/quote]

nah i got mine from a record shop in devon it was well worth the 20quid i paid!

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='1050863' date='Dec 7 2010, 06:53 PM']I think u should keep the body the way it is :)[/quote]

this is after quite a bit of flatting haha. belt sanding a bass is a bad idea unless you have an extremely steady hand

Edited by umph

[quote name='umph' post='1051764' date='Dec 8 2010, 03:05 PM']this is after quite a bit of flatting haha. belt sanding a bass is a bad idea unless you have an extremely steady hand[/quote]
I found that, & I'd not risk it again.

Belt Sander = Butchers' tool. One (small) step better than an angle grinder.

Like the multilayer effect you've ended up with though. I wonder if you could confect a rear-painted clear scratchplate to blend in?

Edited by Bloodaxe

[quote name='Count Bassie' post='1056892' date='Dec 13 2010, 02:34 AM']Sure you can! They're all over the place...[/quote]

I mean because it's got that open rout between the pup an the volume/tone, a clear guard might look a tad odd? I would've thought so anyway, although I guess if you're against odd you're not going to like this bass :)