Why become a member? ×

Thumb rest position

paul h

Just bought a thumb rest to put on a P bass but I am planning to put it between the pickup and the bridge because that's where I rest my thumb on a two pickup bass. I figure I have the side of the neck or the pickup to use in that direction and I just need something the other side.

Does anyone else use a thumb rest in this position or is it just me?

I've put a thumb rest on my battered Pbass between the bridge and the pickup and it works well and sounds good. My P is a fake tho (very convincing with nice pickups but a fake nontheless)which has been "aged" so I was not too reluctant to screw in a thumb rest in a new position. If it were a more valuable genuine usa or something I would be worried about de-valuing it by putting more holes in it.

[quote name='mrtcat' post='1043951' date='Dec 1 2010, 03:46 PM']I've put a thumb rest on my battered Pbass between the bridge and the pickup and it works well and sounds good. My P is a fake tho (very convincing with nice pickups but a fake nontheless)which has been "aged" so I was not too reluctant to screw in a thumb rest in a new position. If it were a more valuable genuine usa or something I would be worried about de-valuing it by putting more holes in it.[/quote]

It's a £115 copy! I can drill all I want ! :)

I had one there on my first '51 reissue P bass for an entirely different reason - I had recently gone from playing 5s and 6s for the past 10-15 years back to 4 and I missed the feeling of having the B string to stop my fingers so I put one there for that reason, just so my fingers would hit against it when I played on the E string

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1044168' date='Dec 1 2010, 06:55 PM']All my Precisions have the thumb rest in the same position - see pic[/quote]
Same here :)
If you don't want to drill any extra holes you can use single hole thumbrests & use the pick guard screw hole already in that position. [url="http://www.bassguitarthumbrests.com/"]Guy Lewis[/url] does them, I'll put a picture on when I'm back at my PC, you might be able to see one in my avatar pic. For me the single screw holds fine & in just the right place.
Cheerz, John

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1045798' date='Dec 2 2010, 10:59 PM']Same here :)
If you don't want to drill any extra holes you can use single hole thumbrests & use the pick guard screw hole already in that position. [url="http://www.bassguitarthumbrests.com/"]Guy Lewis[/url] does them, I'll put a picture on when I'm back at my PC, you might be able to see one in my avatar pic. For me the single screw holds fine & in just the right place.
Cheerz, John[/quote]

Thanks for that link, I've been looking for something like this for my '57 RI as I don't want any holes that not original. Just ordered a single hole maple for £10.50 including delivery. Happy Bunny.

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1045798' date='Dec 2 2010, 10:59 PM']Same here :)
Cheerz, John[/quote]
Edit - pictures:

I'm having a bit of a rethink. Just messing around with the bass and recording a few bits and it seems to have a very definite sweet spot just in front of the pickup. You know, where the sweet spot is! :)

So now I am wondering if I will actually play nearer to the bridge much at all. It's not as easy to play there and the tone is not as nice as I expected.

I reckon I will just put it in the regular P bass position and see how I go.

Maybe that's where I'm going wrong?

:)

After quickly testing out a thumb rest using one screw and in front of the pickup I think I'm not going to bother. I didn't really find it that comfortable and at today's rehearsal I only caught myself playing near the bridge once.