Why become a member? ×

When I start again...

Schnozzalee

I've just sold my final and best bass to date - a '56 Fender Precision Custom Bravewood Replica.

I did it because I really wanted to switch to guitar and sell my Genz Benz to afford driving lessons. I do however still own a roland bass cube30 and boss Dr880 drum machine so i'm ready to get back into whenever I feel like it. If I said I wanted to spend £600 maximum on my return on a Precision bass, what would you say was the best value in this region - doesn't have to use the full budget. [color="#FF0000"]In a nutshell whats the best Precision bass under £600[/color], there must be millions of threads on this somewhere

Grateful for all advice!

Cheers

Oli

If you're really going to start again, Oli, do it properly.

Start with a Westfield P-bass and put an SD 1/4 lb in it.

I'm NOT joking. For less than £200 you could have a bass that's maybe 50% as good as your Bravewood. That's pretty good value, if you think about it.

I'm kind of in agreement with charic in terms of what to use on it but thomastik infeld flatwounds come into the equation. Whats the cheapest decent precision which uses alder I probably won't notice through the cube as I would the Genz Benz anyway but I'm always sceptical when the brand doesn't state the body wood. I'm not a fan of signature basses unfortunately.

I`d say keep yr eyes out for an American P or J bass. The pre-2008 series are going for about that at the moment. They may have the S1 switching, but if you don`t like this, just don`t use it.

Saying that tho, theres currently a Roadworn precision on here for £650. I`ve never been over keen on false relicing, but these basses are sooooo nice its unbelievable, the just feel so comfortable, and sound great.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1037223' date='Nov 26 2010, 12:42 AM']I'll be honest, the only things more fun than playing bass are driving and playing computer games (excluding gentleman's sports with fair ladies).[/quote]

That's an interesting set of priorities! Your candour is appreciated!
Which calls in to question which cars you've been driving, what basses you've been playing, and with whom you're being (un?)sporting! :)
Computer Games don't even come into it!

Meanwhile, back on topic, the Highway 1 Precision is a good bass. The last one tried was better than any of the (pre-2008) US Std models.
Only catches are limited colours, Nitro finish (if either of those bother you) and the fact that they only come with Rosewood Fretboards.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1037508' date='Nov 26 2010, 10:32 AM']Saying that tho, theres currently a Roadworn precision on here for £650. I`ve never been over keen on false relicing, but these basses are sooooo nice its unbelievable, the just feel so comfortable, and sound great.[/quote]

If these are anything like as good as the jazz equivalents then I'd hold out for one of these at £600 secondhand.