Why become a member? ×

Why Do You Prefer a Jazz Over a Precision?

Count Bassie

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1033227' date='Nov 22 2010, 04:46 PM']I see this thread is also running on TB.
It seems most of them prefer the Jazz bass for the same reasons. A lot of them mention the slimer neck.[/quote]

Yeah I posted it there too! Just a passing wondering about trends in different places... and it's just such a basic question/running 'argument' I thought I'd throw it around. Won't matter, I'm into my bass, but it's been a question between the two for years, for many of the reasons expressed here- primarily tone, feel and looks.

Been a good read so far!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1032880' date='Nov 22 2010, 05:57 PM']However, I think the jazz bass is past it now, espeically in it's stock Fender type format. There may be a few miles left in boutique jazz basses but they're outclassed by the innovaters and market leaders now (Fodera, Alembic, ACG, Status Graphite, Zon, Ken Smith, Kubicki etc etc).[/quote]

Here's the thing, all those makers you've named, I personally wouldn't class as market leaders. Innovators, yes, but not market leaders. Go into any music store and Fenders/Squiers will outnumber most other brands. Ask someone to describe a bass guitar and they'll most likely describe a Fender, be it a Jazz or Precision. All the others [especially the Kubicki X-factor, eugh] maybe as well be overhyped cricketbats. I'd say 'past it' is a pretty strong term. 'Outdated', potentially, but not even. You can still get awesome tones out of a Fender Jazz, and just because it isn't headless or filled with active circuitry to blow out on you doesn't mean it isn't still a tone monster

[quote name='Count Bassie' post='1033431' date='Nov 23 2010, 12:19 AM']Yeah I posted it there too! Just a passing wondering about trends in different places... and it's just such a basic question/running 'argument' I thought I'd throw it around. Won't matter, I'm into my bass, but it's been a question between the two for years, for many of the reasons expressed here- primarily tone, feel and looks.

Been a good read so far![/quote]

Yeah, its nice see how each side of the Atlantic feels about them. Seems we aren't that different after all.

Well, I knew eventually the Jazz would bite me back. I sold one on for my incoming bits and pieces, and possibly to get a rosewood J (Im much happier on a rosewood board now).

I tried to put the Jazz off, tried to pretend I didnt want one. Do I need one? No.

Do I consider a Jazz to be a bass most players should own at some point? Yes.

Why? Sound.

So now Im hunting down a 3TS/Rosewood 2010 Jazz. No other colour this time, I want the colour that I think works on a Fender Jazz, which is 3TS.

I did find the MIA 2008 Jazz a little skinny near the nut, BUT, Im kind of forcing myself to admit if I want a modern Fender Ive got to have the neck how it is. Nearer the body its fantastic...

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1033533' date='Nov 23 2010, 04:08 AM']Yeah, its nice see how each side of the Atlantic feels about them. Seems we aren't that different after all.[/quote]

Right, true enough. Except for that "Tea" business!... ah, but yes, we now have a "Tea Party'! :)

Edited by Count Bassie

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1033739' date='Nov 23 2010, 07:00 AM']My whole life I have been torn between the two, I resolved that by getting one of each, so now depending on the mood, one week I dig the J and another week the P, I am also getting a P/J to see if that can marry the two into one do-it-all bass.[/quote]

You'll end up with three pretty distinct personalities, but probably some cross-over between the three. A fun little quiver, probably!

[quote name='Rayman' post='1033017' date='Nov 22 2010, 06:27 PM']I think there's a lot of tosh spoken about neck width.[/quote]

Excuse me?
I do not like the PB neck profile but accept and respect that many other musicians do.
That is my experience and I am by no means unique in that.
Having a different experience to your own certainly does not equate to "tosh"...

[quote name='icastle' post='1033787' date='Nov 23 2010, 12:42 PM']Excuse me?
I do not like the PB neck profile but accept and respect that many other musicians do.
Having a different experience to your own certainly does not equate to "tosh"...[/quote]

Sometimes words are spent very cheap in fora like this, just don't take it to heart, let it fly over your head.

[quote name='icastle' post='1033787' date='Nov 23 2010, 12:42 PM']Excuse me?
Having a different experience to your own certainly does not equate to "tosh"...[/quote]

That more or less my response as well but after thinking about it i wonder if he meant some of the theories like short hands/guitarist prefer slimmer jazz necks etc.
I can certainly see that being tosh (to a point).
Ive got very long, thin fingers yet i struggle with a P neck so i think it is just down to preference rather anything to do with size of hands etc.

The Jazzes are more flexible basses and it takes me a little longer (10 minutes) to adapt to the chunkier neck on the P bass or the Stingray.

They've all got their own characteristic vintage sounds that can't be completely replicated by other basses so it's down to what feels right and works with the music you play.

(But the Status S2 Classic is still the bass that fits me the best after trying loads of other instruments)

Well I'm not playing in a band setting yet but having grown use to my J, I thought a slim neck was the way to go. However, upon getting a cheaper P, i quickly grew to like the thicker neck. The body shape feels no different to me yet and I love the deep, thick sound that the P produces.
The jury's still out with me. Obviously my Fender J is a better made instrument so I'd need a HW1 P to do a favourable comparison :) but i do love them both.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1033188' date='Nov 22 2010, 09:10 PM']Its not tosh, its different opinions and preferences and its not really fair to dismiss these opinions because they differ from yours.

I have both a CVP and CVJ. Both necks are almost identical other than the nut width is about 4mm narrower on the Jazz. I cant feel comfortable playing the P neck but have no problems with the Jazz.[/quote]

+1 to this.

For me I choose where I am more comfortable first before looking for the specific tone I like among them. It's just a personal preference on how you select your instrument, so stop fighting people. :)

I have big lumberjack hands, but despite this i've always played Jazz, the thin fast neck is great...

BUT!

This last summer i played what was for me the best bass i've ever played, and i have no idea why, It is a Mexican 50's Style Precision and i just had to buy it, something about it, the neck was set unusually low for a precision, and the action is perfect, and the tone just blows your balls off, i really didn't expect this, It for me is perfect, and i was originally just testing it out as a comparison against a Jazz i was going to buy,
Fender were obviously having a good day when they made this one, better than any USA standard i've played and better than any Vintage P Basses i've played,
But since i have tried out another of the exact same make and model and colour, lol, and it was totally different... different action and neck was set in much higher...
Its probably just Perfect for me, so this is sort of irrelevant... just putting in my two pennies...

-Tom

[quote name='son of frog' post='1034671' date='Nov 23 2010, 09:17 PM']I have big lumberjack hands, but despite this i've always played Jazz, the thin fast neck is great...

BUT!

This last summer i played what was for me the best bass i've ever played, and i have no idea why, It is a Mexican 50's Style Precision and i just had to buy it, something about it, the neck was set unusually low for a precision, and the action is perfect, and the tone just blows your balls off, i really didn't expect this, It for me is perfect, and i was originally just testing it out as a comparison against a Jazz i was going to buy,
Fender were obviously having a good day when they made this one, better than any USA standard i've played and better than any Vintage P Basses i've played,
But since i have tried out another of the exact same make and model and colour, lol, and it was totally different... different action and neck was set in much higher...
Its probably just Perfect for me, so this is sort of irrelevant... just putting in my two pennies...

-Tom[/quote]

Well thanks Tom, that was great...:)

But it does go to show that with a company like Fender, you really do have to play 'em first!

I played my Jazz tonight at rehearsal, strung with LaBella flats. Great bass- through my little Trace 715S combo the sound was present, deep in the right places, and very punchy. Everything I wanted to say was well-spoken and articulate, and in this regard a definite step up from the Precision I traded off for it. So there's my status on the subject...

[quote name='Mr Rabble' post='1034891' date='Nov 24 2010, 06:26 AM']One can prefer either a P or a J, but as a matter of fact the P-sound isn't dull by itself.[/quote]

True. The sound of a Precision has a bulkier character, and it's not as 'lithe' a quality- not as nimble a delivery- as a Jazz. But the J doesn't have that hefty girth, or not as much of it. They both have the ability to put out a wide bandwidth of frequency, and I've often said "you can get anything out of a Precision". But they are different... Perceptions also will come from amp settings, strings, other context from personal experience.

Edited by Count Bassie

[quote name='lojo' post='1035413' date='Nov 24 2010, 06:24 PM']Why does a Precision sound so, well like a precision, is it all in the pick up, or are there other factors, surely the original mid/neck one on a Jazz was not all that different from the P in its design?[/quote]

Pickup has got to make a difference thanks to split-coil design versus single, and the different windings, as well of course as the fact that it's not and can't be in exactly the same position. Though I wonder if a chunkier P neck also has a role. But actually, my Jap ash/maple jazz with neck pup solo'ed pretty much nails the tone on a lot of 70s funky tunes that I know were played on P basses, particularly that wicked dirty bark when you pop a string. It's not the lightest bass and I wonder if that contributes!

[quote name='son of frog' post='1034671' date='Nov 24 2010, 02:17 AM']I have big lumberjack hands, but despite this i've always played Jazz, the thin fast neck is great...

BUT!

-Tom[/quote]

But... you're just talking about the set-up of the bass :)
Good that you found one that straight away was set up how *you* like it, but you could get another one set up similarly... could you not?

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1032880' date='Nov 22 2010, 04:57 PM']... Your could hear your bass, and it wasn't just the dull, farty P sound ...[/quote]
Strange, because in my experience the P isn't dull, doesn't fart and cuts through much more effectively than a J.

Edited by EssentialTension