Why become a member? ×

GOD.... I LOVE JAZZ

Bilbo

I recently did something that I did last year as a way of opening some new doors for me listening. I buy Jazz TImes, the US jazz magazine, and every year they have a critics top 50 albums of the year article. Last year, I used it to link into the SF Jazz Collective, Christian SCott, Miguel Zenon, Avishai Cohen (trumpet) and some other stuff.

This year, I got some stuff by pianist Armen Donelian, a Lee Konitz live album with Brad Mehldau, Charlie Haden and Paul Motian, a couple of Marcus Strickland recordings, a Ben Allison (bass led) thing, a Jerry Gonzalez cuban thing. I sample them via Spotify first but I find that its a great way of breaking out of your confort zone

Couldn't find anywhere else to post this, but I've recently discovered the monster guitar player that is Julian Lage. Check him out here playing "Caravan" with Frank Vignola... Julian kills it roughly 1:57 in. Beautiful playing throughout.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ7aYeU5V-w[/media]

And some more

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMgmuiV7PXE&feature=related[/media]

Edited by risingson

• 2 weeks later...

just saw Janek Gwizdala, Bob Reynolds, Gary Husband and Louie Palmer in Farncombe.

The venue had 35-45 people and yet the band were so killing. They had so much drive and charisma and it really shone through in what they were playing. I'm going to be blasting out bob reynolds for days i think.

Also got Janek's new album which i obviously havnt properly listened to yet but judging by the way the band were playing tonight I'm sure it'l be awesome.

If you're not aware, this week sees the release of a brand new Esbjorn Svensonn Trio album 301 - it's being said it's some of the best stuff they've ever recorded to tape. All live, recorded in one long recording session.

If that wasn't enough, there is also a brand new Phronesis album due out on the 2nd April.

Good time :)

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1332840783' post='1593694']
I don't know Bob Reynolds or Louie Palmer. Any details?
[/quote]

I think Bob Reynolds has some of the best phrasing i've heard, but also his playing is pretty simple harmonically which my ears still prefer. Heres my favourite track of his.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASapOkN08BU&list=UUzyR6O1o5fjdwvmKOaMOBaQ&index=25&feature=plcp[/media]

Louie Palmer seems to be a younger guy on the scene but was fantastic. He just seemed to pick the perfect spots when to do big fills or drop out and it just worked with the rest of the band.

i've been listening to new Janek's thing, and, while it wasn't much of a surprise, what's gonna be on CD as I've seen some album taping sessions, I must say it left me cold. I wish it was the opposite, but it felt like I was listening to someone else's record that Janek had bass duties on.

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw this on AMazon. 8 Mingus cds for less than a tenner. That is astonishing. There are other sets including Coltrane and Rollins, each featuring 8 full lps over 4 cds. These are all credible LPs and not just early stuff noone bought. If you want to hear what Mingus is all about, try these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/8-Classic-Albums-Charles-Mingus/dp/B0041TM3KG/ref=pd_sim_m_h__2

Jeeees! 20 Miles Davis cds for less than £16. If you have not heard much MIles and want to find out what all the fuss is about, this is a mind blowing deal. The frustrating thing for me is that, in this case and the Mingus one above, I already have 90% of these recordings.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Miles-Davis-Classic-Albums-10CD/dp/B004UVCOZ4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1331553627' post='1574537']
I recently did something that I did last year as a way of opening some new doors for me listening. I buy Jazz TImes, the US jazz magazine, and every year they have a critics top 50 albums of the year article. Last year, I used it to link into the SF Jazz Collective, Christian SCott, Miguel Zenon, Avishai Cohen (trumpet) and some other stuff.

This year, I got some stuff by pianist Armen Donelian, a Lee Konitz live album with Brad Mehldau, Charlie Haden and Paul Motian, a couple of Marcus Strickland recordings, a Ben Allison (bass led) thing, a Jerry Gonzalez cuban thing. I sample them via Spotify first but I find that its a great way of breaking out of your confort zone
[/quote]

Great idea! That Konitz recording (Live At Birdland, right?) has some awesome playing - I'd recommend the trio session with just Konitz/Mehldau/Haden which is in a similar vein. I think that sort of stuff really benefits from a bit of effort on the listener's part, which is why I love it - not as inaccessible as free stuff but more exciting than straightahead stuff.

Miguel Zenon is killer on this Aaron Goldberg/Guillermo Klein collaboration (also with excellent features from Eric Harland and Matt Penman):

Edited by Hector

Just stumbled upon this. Great line-up on fantastic form. Interesting transitional point between the 2nd 'classic quintet' and the more aggressive approach this same line-up took a few months later (just before Wayne Shorter left). Simply wonderful.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yD0Uee15MA&feature=share[/media]

• 2 weeks later...

Am currently about half way through this, and loving it. A concert of Esperanza Spalding and Madeleine Peyrou, 54mins total.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZW98IBWpiU&feature=fvwp&NR=1[/media]

Edit: That's probably the worst preview frame possible :D

Edited by ZMech

[quote name='ZMech' timestamp='1336592186' post='1648177']
Am currently about half way through this, and loving it. A concert of Esperanza Spalding and Madeleine Peyrou, 54mins total.

Edit: That's probably the worst preview frame possible :D
[/quote]

I can hardly bear to watch her she's so gorgeous and brilliant. I mean, mostly I'm quite content with life. But girls this beautiful and talented shouldn't be allowed. No, not at all.

I'll watch it, of course. And thanks for posting (not). :D

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1336597155' post='1648314']
I can hardly bear to watch her she's so gorgeous and brilliant. I mean, mostly I'm quite content with life. But girls this beautiful and talented shouldn't be allowed. No, not at all.

I'll watch it, of course. And thanks for posting (not). :D
[/quote]

I know exactly what you mean. Watching her play is almost disheartening in a way, or it would be if her playing/singing weren't so great. Hope you enjoyed it.

I think ES is a pretty rounded musician (albeit not the genius everyone suggests) but the 'cute'/glamour thing really p***es me off. I wish that record companies didn't do that and I wish the female musicians didn't allow it to be done to them. Its only a matter of time until she puts the bass down!! If they can play, let them play. Leave the eye candy to MTV.