Why become a member? ×

SOLD: Lakland DJ5

silverfoxnik

[b]SOLD - thanks for all the interest![/b] :)

Hi Folks,

I bought this beautiful [b]Lakland Skyline Darryl Jones 5[/b] from P-T-P last August but, since the arrival of my Roscoe Beck 5 in October, it's just not getting used. At the moment, all it gets in terms of use is to sit there looking very glamorous on a stand as my back-up at gigs, [b]but it's way too good a bass for that![/b] It's in pretty much [b]perfect condition[/b], currently has some Lakland strings on it, plays beautifully and sounds very [b][i]'vintage jazz'[/i][/b]! So, after mulling it over I've decided I'd like to see if there's any interest here amongst the Basschat fraternity before having to consider putting it on Evil Bay!

I'm still going to need a back-up 5 string for gigging so[b] ideally[/b] what I'd like to do is a deal with someone who wants to [b]trade up[/b] their 5 string, so I can get a reasonable quality 5 string as my back-up and realise a bit of[b] cash[/b] as well.

So, if anyone has something like a [b]G&L L2500 Tribute[/b] series or a [b]Yamaha 5[/b] string (BB615, 605, 405 etc) or a [b]Status Groove 5[/b], [b]MTD[/b] etc, etc, i.e. something that they'd like to move on as part of a deal for a [b]Lakland[/b], then please let me know.. I'm open to offers really depending on what's around?

Hope P-T-P doesn't mind me using this pic:

Otherwise, for a [b]cash deal[/b] I'd be looking at offers around [b]£750[/b], which is a bit less than I paid for it last year. I know there's lots of quality basses around at the moment on the forum and things are moving a bit slow, so I know this may take some time. But I'm fortunately in a position where I don't have to sell in a mad rush..

I'm on the [b]south coast[/b] 20 miles west of Brighton if anyone wants to come and check it out & have a cuppa.. It's in a [b]gig bag[/b] but could be cased and safely posted depending on the situation, or maybe we could meet up if it's not too far?? Anyway, let me know if anyone's interested here or send me a PM. [b]Thanks for looking![/b] :huh:

Cheers

Nik

Edited by silverfoxnik

Damn damn damn damn damn.

Why now? <shakes head> I've got a '79 Precision and a Waterstone 12 and want to hang onto these (the Precision will go into retirement when I get the DJ5).

If it was April or May (by which time I'll be mortgage free), I'd have bitten your hand off for this. I will be seriously flush and looking to buy! First choice was black w/rosewood board, but WTF, I'd take a blue or white one if it came down to it.#

Lovely bass.

P

[quote name='WishICouldWalk' post='117822' date='Jan 10 2008, 01:40 PM']PM'd[/quote]

Thanks for the positive comments guys.. As bass players - we all know that life is about timing!

I've had a few questions about why I'm willing to move such a lovely bass as this on so I thought I'd just say that I'm now almost exclusively using my Roscoe Beck 5 which is a 34" scale bass and that suits me that bit better than the DJ5, which is a 35" scale neck.

There's a few other differences in the electronics which make a difference; i.e. a wider tonal palette available with the Roscoe than the DJ5..But with all quality basses, it gets down to some pretty small and subtle differences between them that count I suppose... Hope that helps?

All PMs replied to...

Nik

Just to back up Nik's point above, I had this bass before him and sold it only because I have another DJ5 which I prefer (colour, maple board, bart pre-amp fitted) and felt that having the two was preventing me exploring a wider tonal palette so I sold it to Nik in order to fund some exploring.

I don't regret selling it, but by the same token, I am trying to get the bass back of him! It is a superb bit of kit and (having not tried a Roscoe Beck 5) is the most tonally varied passive bass I've ever played. Whoever ends up with this is gonna love it.

And Nik is a top bloke to deal with too.

[quote name='Merton' post='117941' date='Jan 10 2008, 04:16 PM']+1!

But NIk, you're not fooling me. No trade offers from me re. the Groove!! :)[/quote]
Cheers Mert and Pete for the kind words! Mert - I knew you'd have to comment about your Groove 5, but you know I wouldn't ever dream of trying to tempt it away from you :huh:

All PMs replied to again....

[quote name='P-T-P' post='118184' date='Jan 10 2008, 09:41 PM']Nik,

You should look up mikeh in the Wanted ads. He has a 55-01 deluxe and wants to upgrade to a DJ4/5. Could be a match made in heaven!

Pete[/quote]
Thanks Pete! Will do but am also considering some interesting offers... Head's aching a bit with it all at the moment though.. :)

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='117676' date='Jan 10 2008, 10:19 AM']So, if anyone has something like a [b]G&L L2500 Tribute[/b] series[/quote]
Nik, If you sell the Lakland and are after a G&L L2500 Tribute, I have a brand new one I would sell. Still got the tags on. Awesome sound, but i am not that keen on the neck. Only had a couple of hours use at home.

[quote name='BassBunny' post='118282' date='Jan 11 2008, 12:26 AM']Nik, If you sell the Lakland and are after a G&L L2500 Tribute, I have a brand new one I would sell. Still got the tags on. Awesome sound, but i am not that keen on the neck. Only had a couple of hours use at home.[/quote]
Thanks - that's definitely worth considering...What's the spec on yours?

[i]"Hey Silverfox...if you get a Tribute, you'll end up flogging that Roscoe Beck too." [/i] - Not a chance, Matt!!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='118312' date='Jan 11 2008, 06:36 AM']Thanks - that's definitely worth considering...What's the spec on yours?[/quote]
Hi Nik, It's an Amber one with Rosewood Fretboard. Same as this but Amber.
[url="http://guitare.playback-europe.com/pop_produit.php?prodid=11090&img=1"]http://guitare.playback-europe.com/pop_pro...11090&img=1[/url]
Cheers,
Stuart