Why become a member? ×

bass clef YTS

lojo

I don't think there are many who are dead set against learning - just set against the idea that classical music theory is essential in order to be a bassist. I personally don't think it is essential, but I'm still enjoying learning the dots and sight reading through the Major's exercises all the same. If I get something out of it that improves my playing, then great!

Gives me a right brain ache after a while though.

Part of the struggle with all this is fighting a natural instinct that learning exercises and theory is boring. It's not at all, but i and perhaps others may have a negative attitude to learning that may be a result of school experiences. I spent too much time at school trying to calculate what was necessary to learn and sometimes get a feeling when running Phyrigian mode exercises that it might be possible to skip them. However being older and wiser i try not to

most of the time

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1257839' date='Jun 5 2011, 09:38 PM']Just bumping this thread for potential new comers and a refresher for any slackers! Any news?[/quote]

How about getting to work with the KSignatures app on the iPhone/iPad/iPod? :)

Edited by Fat Rich

Been working at reading the Parker solos in the Omnibook. If anyone is interested in working at reading accidentals, the whole book is pretty much in C so all the sharps and flats are written as such. Good for getting you used to reading changing accidentals.

Remember: you don't have to read them at the speed Parker played them to benefit from the practice (I can't).

I seem to have convinced some people here that I can read anything. I can't. I can read well enough to do most gigs and I can 'get' hard passages after a run through or two but, in a high pressure reading situation, I would be found wanting. Still working on that. But my biggest praise for reading is the value it has in enhancing your practising/rehearsing/composing/arranging/recording etc etc.

I'm totally converted Bilbo and will be having some more lessons soon, The money I had saved is being spent on the dogs castration next week! :) Scales and reading are getting my brain in the zone for learning and it seems everytime I try a new scale I accidentally learn ten songs, Timing has improved, Ear is better, Technique is better, Brilliant!

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1258086' date='Jun 6 2011, 09:18 AM']How about getting to work with the KSignatures app on the iPhone/iPad/iPod? :)[/quote]

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1258684' date='Jun 6 2011, 05:56 PM']Not heard about that one what's it like Rich?[/quote]

Haven't spent much time with it yet, it should get you up to speed on recognising your key signatures. It can be set for Bass or treble clef (and others) and shows you a key signature on the stave and gives you four answers to choose from, some major, some minor.

I still haven't learnt my Key sigs and relative major/minor properly so I'm hoping this will get me up to speed instead of working it all out using circle of fifths or visualising the fingerboard.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1260019' date='Jun 7 2011, 06:09 PM']Oh thats perfect Rich, Thats right where I am at the moment! I will get on to that right away, Thanks :)[/quote]

User manual is here as it's not got the best user interface!

[url="http://www.antead.com/manuals/KSignatures/english.html"]http://www.antead.com/manuals/KSignatures/english.html[/url]

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1261288' date='Jun 8 2011, 03:02 PM']User manual is here as it's not got the best user interface!

[url="http://www.antead.com/manuals/KSignatures/english.html"]http://www.antead.com/manuals/KSignatures/english.html[/url][/quote]

Ah good man! I have downloaded it and set it to English but only had a quick look so far and found it a bit of a faff to navigate. Im out tonight but when I get some time I will cross reference it to the manual and get cracking. It looks a useful tool though so far although Im very poor at it! I can only work out from C maj at the moment thats it :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1026279' date='Nov 16 2010, 08:50 PM']Good thinking ,well worth a new thread. I love the clef tool, Awesome! 3.21 average time per answer (not exactly sight reading yet) and classed as intermediate. Im off for another go......[/quote]

Purely from glancing back I found this post. At the time and not that long ago really all I could do was very slowly read the name of a dot one at a time from a stave. I had no understanding of note values, dotted notes or tied notes. I knew nothing of key signatures or reading within a key. Accidentals was something babys and the infirm had. I still have miles to go on a never ending road but I have come a long way without realising it I guess and thats without taking into account scales, correct fingering and maybe more importantly just setting aside what time I could for practicing and playing rather than just banging out the same old shiz at practice once a week etc. Im giving myself a pat on the back :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

• 4 months later...

Been a bit busy doing other bits and bobs lately but just had a quick go on the online Clef game and got a 1.4 wizard on the first attempt with no errors so I think the notes themselves are pretty well nailed now, just needs more time spent reading music.

Are there any good books for reading popular rhythms to help recognise groups of notes? Im not too bad now but it takes me a long time to work out a whole song, far from sight read although if you read the opening posts from the start of the year I said I would be happy if I could class myself as a reader which I now can.

Anyone else done anything or have you all given up?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1319143999' post='1410614']
Been a bit busy doing other bits and bobs lately but just had a quick go on the online Clef game and got a 1.4 wizard on the first attempt with no errors so I think the notes themselves are pretty well nailed now, just needs more time spent reading music.

Are there any good books for reading popular rhythms to help recognise groups of notes? Im not too bad now but it takes me a long time to work out a whole song, far from sight read although if you read the opening posts from the start of the year I said I would be happy if I could class myself as a reader which I now can.

[/quote]
I've given up, quite a while ago :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1319143999' post='1410614']

[/quote]

Haven't given up but have been moving house and busy with work so haven't had time to play much bass in general let alone work on my reading.

Will get back to it soon hopefully.

I am still quietly beavering away. Had a bass lesson and the chap gave me some dots to go away with so its forced my hand as he wants me to sit in on a Jazz Fusion gig very shortly using the sheets he gave me. Trouble is my memory is so well developed from not reading that i can pretty much remember the bass lines after 2 or 3 run throughs then i stop reading :)

• 8 months later...

Just a bump really to see if anyone else has stuck with it?

Im still very average but If someone asked me if I can read I can now say "yes". Just managed great wizard on the clef game and dipping in and out of my books when I get time. I am doing a few dep gigs at the moment and its been handy for learning the little bits and bobs of songs. :)

Wow I am a bit rusty! I can generally read music and understand theory pretty well from my piano days though. However, I cannot immediately know the notes on the fretboard. I just never learned that way. My ear training usually tells me which note to play and where it is on the fretboard but I would have to think for a minute to tell you the name of that note. I worry that if I did start applying classical training to my bass playing, it would lose its Mojo! Is that stupid?

No, have not put the time in, can't see me doing anything more than I do now and reading is not required , time is better spent elsewhere

Its a regret not to have done it when I was young and single, but one of many