Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass search!

Simmo

Hello all :)

I am contemplating getting a new bass after xmas, and I currently have a jackson kelly looking ripoff bass with a P/J configuration, the precision sounds terribly weak (just an opinion, dont slaughter me devout precision fans :lol:), and I have fell in love with the tone I can get from the single Jazz pickup. Taking this into account I have decided a Jazz bass is in order, I am currently out of work and cant really stretch above £200, and there are a few Jazz basses that have caught my eye, and because of their cheap price tag there arent many reviews about them, I just wanted to know if any of you have played, seen close up, or owned any of them?

First, the Vintage (brand) EJM96 £175+P&P, here is the link

[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/8357"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/8357[/url]

And here are the specs :lol:

Body: Eastern Poplar

Neck: Hard Maple – Bolt On
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Scale: 34"/864mm
Frets: 20
Neck Inlays: Pearloid Dot
Tuners: Wilkinson® WJBL200
Bridge: Adjustable
Pickups: Wilkinson® PB x 1 (M) WJB00 (:) WJB800
Hardware: Chrome
Controls: 1 x Volume/ 1 x Tone

Second, the Chord CJB62, here is the link

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chord-Electric-Jazz-Bass-Guitar-Alder-Body-Natural-/160498054527?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item255e6df57f"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chord-Electric-Jazz-...=item255e6df57f[/url]

And here are the specs :D

Controls 2 volume, 1 master tone
Construction Contoured body, bolt-on neck
Body Alder
Neck Maple
Fingerboard Rosewood
Scale length 865mm
Pickups 2 single coil (twinned pole-piece)
Hardware Chrome plate bridge
Tuning machineheads Large clover leaf open geared
Frets 20 large
Nut Width 41mm
Dimensions 345 x 1195 x 60mm
Weight 4.42kg

If i was to choose by looks and spec list i'd definitely choose the chord, because if any of the pickups, electronics, hardware were a problem i could switch them out in the future, its just i have never heard of this brand, and the Vintage looks good and the brand name is (ever so slightly :lol:) more credible, its just i read somewhere they are extremely heavy, and opinions would be greatly appreciated :P

yeah i have looked at a few of the squier basses, and some of them look really good, like the squier standard jazz in walnut satin, but from what i have read, and heard in some videos they can be a bit of hit and miss :/ plus im an arkward sod and don't want a squier like everyone else :) but it doesn't mean i'm totally against the idea if i can find one i like :)

[quote name='Simmo' post='1024228' date='Nov 15 2010, 03:46 AM']yeah i have looked at a few of the squier basses, and some of them look really good, like the squier standard jazz in walnut satin, but from what i have read, and heard in some videos they can be a bit of hit and miss :/ plus im an arkward sod and don't want a squier like everyone else :) but it doesn't mean i'm totally against the idea if i can find one i like :)[/quote]
I think for the sort of money you want to spend, you should get the best instrument you can for it, in the end you stamp your own identity on it. And you can always customise a Fender Squier easily. When you can play with about £800, then you can afford to get really individual.

I know you don't want a Squier but they really are excellent basses for the money, I played two VMJs in two different shops and they seemed nearly identical, as were the CV Stratocasters I played, I bought one too, it's got great tone and plays beautifully and I have ahad quite a few trats in my time. You really have to take a lot of what people say with a pinch of salt sometimes, the other brands you name could be just as "hit and miss", whatever they mean by that. The only company I've played instruments from that were almost perfect in terms of quality control is Warwick.

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='1024327' date='Nov 15 2010, 09:50 AM']+1 for Squiers. An Affinity or a Standard Jazz from them is well worth the money![/quote]
Affinitys are a bit lower budget, go for a CVJ or a JMV, they are much higher build and component standard and they will hold their value much better.

Another thought is to go for the VM Jag, it's basically a Jazz with a P neck pickup anyway and will look much different to the standard Jazz style. Something to think about. I'd love one, in white of course :)

[url="http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0327900506"]http://www.squierguitars.com/products/sear...rtno=0327900506[/url]

If your current bass feels good to play then the best and cheapest option is to change the pickups and strings. There are a dozen great pickups you can buy for a PJ.

Other than that, if you're going for a Jazz you won't look unique anyway, so get the best one you can find. It's what the bass sounds and plays like that should really matter. Only my opinion but I think a Squire beats any Vintage in all departments!

[quote name='chris_b' post='1024346' date='Nov 15 2010, 10:10 AM']If your current bass feels good to play then the best and cheapest option is to change the pickups and strings. There are a dozen great pickups you can buy for a PJ.

Other than that, if you're going for a Jazz you won't look unique anyway, so get the best one you can find. It's what the bass sounds and plays like that should really matter. Only my opinion but I think a Squire beats any Vintage in all departments![/quote]
Good advice that.

[quote name='silddx' post='1024337' date='Nov 15 2010, 10:03 AM']Affinitys are a bit lower budget, go for a CVJ or a JMV, they are much higher build and component standard and they will hold their value much better.

Another thought is to go for the VM Jag, it's basically a Jazz with a P neck pickup anyway and will look much different to the standard Jazz style. Something to think about. I'd love one, in white of course :)

[url="http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0327900506"]http://www.squierguitars.com/products/sear...rtno=0327900506[/url][/quote]

Aren't all of those outside Simmo's budget?

Have tried several Squiers in shops recently, they've all been rather good and often better than Mex Fenders and even one USA Fender although I ended up with a Japanese Fender in the end.

The Squiers are excellent value for money, like all Fender products make sure you play it first as the quality is variable.

If you don't want to follow the herd you could always paint the headstock and cover the logo.

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='1024341' date='Nov 15 2010, 10:06 AM']... a weak P pickup sound is surprising, I usually find it is the other way around. Get the screwdriver out and raise the P pup on your current bass and see what happens[/quote]

Yeah i did that, and found the sound is no better, it is most likely the cheapest P pickup they could find and just shoved it on there, dont get me wrong, it gives off a nice, round warm tone but the output is missing, thanks tho, i still might take a screwdriver at it and see what happens :lol:

[quote name='chris_b' post='1024346' date='Nov 15 2010, 10:10 AM']If your current bass feels good to play then the best and cheapest option is to change the pickups and strings. There are a dozen great pickups you can buy for a PJ.

Other than that, if you're going for a Jazz you won't look unique anyway, so get the best one you can find. It's what the bass sounds and plays like that should really matter. Only my opinion but I think a Squire beats any Vintage in all departments![/quote]

My current bass is the most uncomfortable shape i could have ever picked :D plus the pickups can be loud and as far as i can tell the tone knob does absolutely sod all! sure it would look alright if i was in a glam/hair metal band, but im not, and for that reason, im going for comfort haha :) (BTW if you are up for a giggle, here is the bass i bought [url="http://cgi.ebay.ie/Stellah-Exp-Electric-Bass-Guitar-Silver-4-String-New-/310270378577)"]http://cgi.ebay.ie/Stellah-Exp-Electric-Ba...-/310270378577)[/url] it has served me well but it is time to move on!

And i'd like to say thanks to everyone for the input and especially silddx :)

Edited by Simmo

If you want something a little different and individual, check out SX basses from Rondo Music in the US. They're pretty cheap and you can upgrade the pups in them and they're still cheap but with great pickups. The wood is pretty decent for the price you pay. Only problem is they're not as appealing when the exchange rate is in the current state, it's improving again though slowly.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1024958' date='Nov 15 2010, 06:17 PM']If you want something a little different and individual, check out SX basses from Rondo Music in the US. They're pretty cheap and you can upgrade the pups in them and they're still cheap but with great pickups. The wood is pretty decent for the price you pay. Only problem is they're not as appealing when the exchange rate is in the current state, it's improving again though slowly.[/quote]

Yeah i have already thought about this, the exchange rate and the charges i will get to actually get it in the country are very off putting :)

[quote name='Simmo' post='1024228' date='Nov 15 2010, 03:46 AM']yeah i have looked at a few of the squier basses, and some of them look really good, like the squier standard jazz in walnut satin, but from what i have read, and heard in some videos they can be a bit of hit and miss :/[/quote]

I've got one. The hardware is pretty cheap and I keep meaning to replace the tuners, pups and pots on mine (I've already replaced the bridge), and I once had the control plate pop off when I trod on the jack lead which was pretty funny (I plugged the holes with matchsticks and screwed the screws back in and it's been no trouble since), but the neck is straight and decent and all the frets are well fitted. I've done a couple of dozen gigs on mine this year without incident and even done some recording with it, I think they're pretty good for budget basses all in all.

[quote name='Simmo' post='1024992' date='Nov 15 2010, 06:45 PM']Yeah i have already thought about this, the exchange rate and the charges i will get to actually get it in the country are very off putting :)[/quote]

You can still get SX basses in the England, with the Fender-style headstock - [url="http://www.hartnollguitars.co.uk/products.asp?id=4644"]try here...[/url]

[quote name='Simmo' post='1024857' date='Nov 15 2010, 04:55 PM']Yeah i did that, and found the sound is no better, it is most likely the cheapest P pickup they could find and just shoved it on there, dont get me wrong, it gives off a nice, round warm tone but the output is missing, thanks tho, i still might take a screwdriver at it and see what happens :)[/quote]

as a wee question.. what are you playing it through?

i would have thought it's more likely to be the electronics playing up than the pup- may be wrong....

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='1025157' date='Nov 15 2010, 08:29 PM']as a wee question.. what are you playing it through?

i would have thought it's more likely to be the electronics playing up than the pup- may be wrong....[/quote]

Just my little fender rumble practise amp, i'm not sure if it is the electronics, but it's not just the low output i don't like, i prefer the jazz sound :)

[quote name='Simmo' post='1025257' date='Nov 15 2010, 10:01 PM']Just my little fender rumble practise amp, i'm not sure if it is the electronics, but it's not just the low output i don't like, i prefer the jazz sound :)[/quote]

Could always p..p..p...pick up a secondhand P pickup! Sell it on if it doesn't do it for you and you won't lose anything if you're careful, and it could really change the sound of your bass - you might find that it's not so much the jazz sound you like, just a 'better' sound! But something like a secondhand SX jazz would be a good option, they seem to go for a pittance. Similarly a secondhand Farida might be a good bet if you can find them, not very well known so don't hold value as much as the Squiers. If you go Squier, I'd take the VMJ over the CV as it has a bit more booty in the tone department IMO. Plus they're generally cheaper :)

[quote name='Simmo' post='1024225' date='Nov 15 2010, 03:28 AM']Hello all :)

I am contemplating getting a new bass after xmas, and I currently have a jackson kelly looking ripoff bass with a P/J configuration, the precision sounds terribly weak (just an opinion, dont slaughter me devout precision fans :lol:), and I have fell in love with the tone I can get from the single Jazz pickup. Taking this into account I have decided a Jazz bass is in order, I am currently out of work and cant really stretch above £200, and there are a few Jazz basses that have caught my eye, and because of their cheap price tag there arent many reviews about them, I just wanted to know if any of you have played, seen close up, or owned any of them?

First, the Vintage (brand) EJM96 £175+P&P, here is the link

[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/8357"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/8357[/url]

And here are the specs :lol:

Body: Eastern Poplar

Neck: Hard Maple – Bolt On
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Scale: 34"/864mm
Frets: 20
Neck Inlays: Pearloid Dot
Tuners: Wilkinson® WJBL200
Bridge: Adjustable
Pickups: Wilkinson® PB x 1 (M) WJB00 (:) WJB800
Hardware: Chrome
Controls: 1 x Volume/ 1 x Tone

Second, the Chord CJB62, here is the link

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chord-Electric-Jazz-Bass-Guitar-Alder-Body-Natural-/160498054527?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item255e6df57f"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chord-Electric-Jazz-...=item255e6df57f[/url]

And here are the specs :D

Controls 2 volume, 1 master tone
Construction Contoured body, bolt-on neck
Body Alder
Neck Maple
Fingerboard Rosewood
Scale length 865mm
Pickups 2 single coil (twinned pole-piece)
Hardware Chrome plate bridge
Tuning machineheads Large clover leaf open geared
Frets 20 large
Nut Width 41mm
Dimensions 345 x 1195 x 60mm
Weight 4.42kg

If i was to choose by looks and spec list i'd definitely choose the chord, because if any of the pickups, electronics, hardware were a problem i could switch them out in the future, its just i have never heard of this brand, and the Vintage looks good and the brand name is (ever so slightly :lol:) more credible, its just i read somewhere they are extremely heavy, and opinions would be greatly appreciated :P[/quote]

I owned one of the Vintage ones. Finish wasn't great, but it was a nice bass. The pickups were a bit disappointing, and in mine, a bit microphonic. But for teh price it wasn't bad at all, and one day you put a pair of good pickups there and you ahve a great bass.

However, I got a Westfield B4000 (Jazz clone) earlier this year for £40 plus delivery on eBay. It was so cheap, and I had tried a nice Westfield before, that I had to go for it.
And it's a much better bass. The pickups, surprisingly, are quite nice. I didn't need to change anything on it, stock it was nice. Just set it up, mine had a couple of slightly tall frets that needed levelling, but that's about it.
Last week I installed a J-retro01 preamp in it... and it turned it into a bass that sounds and feels like it's worth a lot more. It's still ugly (translucent green, and the grain isn't pretty), but it's a great bass that I can play proudly next to my Warwick Corvette $$ and my MM Stingray.
I spent about £180 in total, and I have a beast of a bass.

I noticed they stopped doing the green one early on. I'm not sure if all B4000 were built similarly, but it's worth a try...and if it's a green one you know it's from the same time of mine, so maybe you get lucky too. I suspect there'll be variation between basses, much more than among more expensive instruments, but from my experience in general with Westfield, you get pretty decent instruments that turn into nice ones with just a basic setup.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1027897' date='Nov 18 2010, 01:27 PM']I owned one of the Vintage ones. Finish wasn't great, but it was a nice bass. The pickups were a bit disappointing, and in mine, a bit microphonic. But for teh price it wasn't bad at all, and one day you put a pair of good pickups there and you ahve a great bass.

However, I got a Westfield B4000 (Jazz clone) earlier this year for £40 plus delivery on eBay. It was so cheap, and I had tried a nice Westfield before, that I had to go for it.
And it's a much better bass. The pickups, surprisingly, are quite nice. I didn't need to change anything on it, stock it was nice. Just set it up, mine had a couple of slightly tall frets that needed levelling, but that's about it.
Last week I installed a J-retro01 preamp in it... and it turned it into a bass that sounds and feels like it's worth a lot more. It's still ugly (translucent green, and the grain isn't pretty), but it's a great bass that I can play proudly next to my Warwick Corvette $$ and my MM Stingray.
I spent about £180 in total, and I have a beast of a bass.

I noticed they stopped doing the green one early on. I'm not sure if all B4000 were built similarly, but it's worth a try...and if it's a green one you know it's from the same time of mine, so maybe you get lucky too. I suspect there'll be variation between basses, much more than among more expensive instruments, but from my experience in general with Westfield, you get pretty decent instruments that turn into nice ones with just a basic setup.[/quote]

Ah I have been waiting for your input :lol: yeah i have seen your thread on the westfield (which looks great :D, but green is my favourite colour :)) and i have had a look and it seems they have become extinct ha, but i will keep looking because if i could get a bargain on one like you did, i would probably go for it :)

[quote name='Simmo' post='1027963' date='Nov 18 2010, 02:35 PM']Ah I have been waiting for your input :D yeah i have seen your thread on the westfield (which looks great :P, but green is my favourite colour :lol:) and i have had a look and it seems they have become extinct ha, but i will keep looking because if i could get a bargain on one like you did, i would probably go for it :)[/quote]

If you find one (they do come up on eBay frequently) even if it's costing £80 rather than £40... I think you'd be wise to get it. Just have it set up properly and enjoy.
But if I find one before you do, I might just get it myself! I fancy a second one to eitehr strip to bare wood or paint white. Then, if it's as good as teh green one, I can sell it. Every week I have urges to get a sander to that green finish and strip it bare. I hate that green!!! :)