Why become a member? ×

GB guitars

Mikeg

yes played the ONE in around about sound in cheltenham...it was awsome...very special instrument this bass... here is the link...spoke to him yesterday and hes selling...light as a feather and so many tones available.... if i could i would...

[url="http://www.aroundaboutsound.co.uk/product_details.asp?p_id=3290"]http://www.aroundaboutsound.co.uk/product_...s.asp?p_id=3290[/url]

I owned a 5 Spitfire for a while an have a 6 Spitfire on the way (see link in sig). AMAZING!

Sound like no other in the top end, very versatile everywhere else. Bernie is a great craftsman as well.

There is a GB thread here if you havn't seen it - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=17506"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=17506[/url] and EBS_Freak is our resident expert.

Prices... 2.5k gets you something basic (painted finish, nothing exotic on the wood front, no LED's or fancy stuff) but the skys the limit from there....

Edited by pantherairsoft

GB basses are stunning, I have had the pleasure of playing 3 now and all mind blowing. They are expensive but for what you are getting they are worth it for what you get.

Just to sidetrack slightly, Bubinga 5, I was in yesterday playing Marks Spitfire too, did you actually play it yesterday? If so did you notice that the EQ on it was a little odd? When i plugged in the treble and bass seemed to do very little, but the mid control had the normal range. Might just have been the amp but I couldnt get the range out of it like I did last time I played it.

I love this bass and am actually thinking of going back to 4 string and selling my Overwater J to buy it just a stunning bass.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1022610' date='Nov 13 2010, 04:58 PM']yes played the ONE in around about sound in cheltenham...it was awsome...very special instrument this bass... here is the link...spoke to him yesterday and hes selling...light as a feather and so many tones available.... if i could i would...

[url="http://www.aroundaboutsound.co.uk/product_details.asp?p_id=3290"]http://www.aroundaboutsound.co.uk/product_...s.asp?p_id=3290[/url][/quote]

No i played it a month ago..didnt notice mate but i didnt fiddle too much with the EQ...the bass was very hifi like my Modulus but had more to it....i do remember it being very light, and easy to play.the bound fingerboard is killer and the top and headstock are so nice...

i asked Mark if he would trade for the Fender or the Modulus but i couldnt talk him round...he wants a sale...

do it bro, if it was me i would sell the Overwater and grab this..its a beauty...one of Bernies best

Edited by bubinga5

Yeah it was fine when I played it last, it could have been the very small ashdown I played it through or maybe flat battery. Still a fantastic bass, so clear and precise sounding, absolutely love it. Its the weight I love too, very well balanced you feel like you could play it for days without a twitch in the back.

Yeah Mark definately wants a sale. He has some nice vintage basses and plays a lot of upright from what his wife has told me. You are just adding fuel to the fire, :) I wanted this when i first moved to Cheltenham a few years ago and to find it still for sale is just too tempting.

Anyway apologies for hijacking the thread, as you can see there are a lot of people that are very enthusiastic about GB basses, go try one out, oh and there is one going on eBay at the moment, maple neck and trans blue body with what looks like quilt maple.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1022679' date='Nov 13 2010, 05:42 PM']No i played it a month ago..didnt notice mate but i didnt fiddle too much...the bass was very hifi like my Modulus but had more to it....i do remember it being very light, and easy to play.the bound fingerboard is killer and the top and headstock is so nice...

..its such a nice bass, and awsome looking...i asked Mark if he would trade for the Fender or the Modulus but i couldnt talk him round...he wants a sale...

.do it bro, if it was me i would sell the Overwater and grab this..its a beauty...one of Bernies best[/quote]

The Overwater is stunning, plays equally as well as the GB but when you get to the level of build of both GB and Overwater I think there is only really difference rather than better. The Overwater has a much more 'Fender-ish' vibe to it but beautiful build and mine has a birdseye fingerboard which is lovely.

I am just finding I dont use the B much and my current band arent keen on it either. I just think it may be time for a change and get something smaller, lighter and with a string less. Wish I could afford multiple basses and hang on to it as it is stunning and has a wicked tone but I just dont have the money.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1022718' date='Nov 13 2010, 06:06 PM']Ha!..yeah the playability was awsome...an all round stunner...well the GAS is your demon, all i can do is egg you on.. :) whats the Overwater like?

yeah sorry Mikeg...[/quote]

Ooh I believe many BCers have these so expect a good response. A good friend of mine had a fiver built by Bernie and was dicked around endlessly,but if you're buying "off the rack" you'll probably be well pleased as the build quality is superb. Of course custom wise YMMV

You should definitely buy the GB - they really are fantastic basses. However, the Jazz Bass does have a sound of it's own too and a vintage jazz bass is probably a better investment in the long run as they do seem to hold their value more.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1022752' date='Nov 13 2010, 06:39 PM']whats needed is must...the Overwater sounds good though...if you dont need the B dont use it...Im sure i got some jazz bass sounds out of that GB..[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1022790' date='Nov 13 2010, 07:06 PM']You should definitely buy the GB - they really are fantastic basses. However, the Jazz Bass does have a sound of it's own too and a vintage jazz bass is probably a better investment in the long run as they do seem to hold their value more.[/quote]
There are two sides to this...GB and a 74 Jazz.. different beasts..personaly i would take the Fender...yes im envious...on another note, i remember that KS jazz you had and remember loving the tone in the Railway.been gassing for one...was it a fiver? did it have an EBS pre.? they can you go for peanuts now and there killer basses....GF what did you think of yours?

Edited by bubinga5

Yeah guess you are right they are very different beasts and not one better than the other although I have to say that the jazz is getting a lot more use at the moment!

I remember the railway gig and yes it was a 5 with the EBS pre - I sold it a while ago as like NJE I just didn't feel that I was using the B string enough and needed some funds to pay for the GB! They are great basses for the money though and with that EBS pre they are great sounding too.

I think that I will for a GB Spitfire 5 one day to match the 4 string Rumour.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1022803' date='Nov 13 2010, 07:19 PM']There are two sides to this...GB and a 74 Jazz.. different beasts..personaly i would take the Fender...yes im envious... i remember that KS jazz you had and remember loving the tone in the Railway.been gassing for one...was it a fiver? did it have an EBS pre.?[/quote]

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1022803' date='Nov 13 2010, 07:19 PM']There are two sides to this...GB and a 74 Jazz.. different beasts..personaly i would take the Fender...yes im envious...on another note, i remember that KS jazz you had and remember loving the tone in the Railway.been gassing for one...was it a fiver? did it have an EBS pre.? they can you go for peanuts now and there killer basses....GF what did you think of yours?[/quote]

Sorry to hijack the thread yet again, but you should have kept the Sei Andrew.... My bass of choice now, the others dont get a look in and that includes the Wals..... :)

Expect to pay between 2.5k - 5k (standard Spitfire up to fully tricked out Rumour). I love them, I don't play anything else now as for me, they do it all. Playability, looks, tone and they just ooze quality. You really need to hear one to fully appreciate what a GB can do for you. Everybody says xyz brand sound amazing and the like but a GB does all of that plus lots more... the pickups and preamp really are a work of magic.

The question of sound is purely personal. The GB circuit/Pups give a very modern sound accross the board. I did play one with single coils which was a bit more vintage-y - it's all totally custom so that's all up to you. Like i say, very modern sounding basses, powerful eq etc. They balance very well and are exeptionally well made. I owned one for 3 1/2 years and it was totally dependable. + when the builder is on the same island as you there is always gunna be good back up, which bernie delivers all the way. If the basses speak to you, then I think the service, craftsmanship and options are exceptional. You really have to know what you want with these things..

• 3 weeks later...

Gb rocks,

I have one on order and can not wait till she is built.

It will be the only bass i play for a long time, every thing else just seems so flat once you have played GB the active circutry is just amazing, the first time i had a go on a spit fire, it just sounded amazing, you can really get any sound out of them but yet they have there own sound.

Yes they do cost a bit, but worth every penny. Bernie will talk you through every thing. And you will keep it for the rest of your life. so 2500 plus for the rest of your life, not really that much.