Why become a member? ×

High, Bumpy frets - not to my taste

Spoombung

I've got a bass with high frets and it makes for a very bumpy ride. The other day I went to try out a lovely bass but didn't buy it because of high frets.

My question is:

a) Could I have all the frets reduced in height by a guitar tech?

b) What is this procedure called? (I've heard several terms like 'dressing' and 'levelling' and 'stoning' but would like to know the correct term)

c) Roughly how much does this cost?

d) Can anyone recommend someone in London?

Thanks..

Edited by Spoombung

Levelling is when they do over it with a straight thing with abrasive properties, so they are all the same height, but the high ones end up with flat tops, dressing is when they make all the tops round again. Not sure about stoning but it seems to be applied to a half-arsed version of skimming the tops off the frets and minimal finishing to get rid of dings and suchlike, might just be a local that does that not very well though.

[url="http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Guitar/Frets/D35Refret/D35refret6.html"]Here is a run through of fret levelling and dressing.[/url]

[quote name='stinson' post='1014130' date='Nov 6 2010, 11:59 AM']Ive had a refret done at the Gallery in Camden, top quality work at a reasonable price. Im sure someone else will be able to tell you the exact name of the procedure you'll need. I'd take it along and get the pro to advise.[/quote]

They quoted me "from £160 upwards" on the phone for a re-fret which I thought was very expensive.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1014162' date='Nov 6 2010, 12:29 PM']Levelling is when they do over it with a straight thing with abrasive properties, so they are all the same height, but the high ones end up with flat tops, dressing is when they make all the tops round again. Not sure about stoning but it seems to be applied to a half-arsed version of skimming the tops off the frets and minimal finishing to get rid of dings and suchlike, might just be a local that does that not very well though.

[url="http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Guitar/Frets/D35Refret/D35refret6.html"]Here is a run through of fret levelling and dressing.[/url][/quote]

I haven't got any 'high ones' they're all the same height at the moment - high. Thanks for the info

[quote name='redstriper' post='1014277' date='Nov 6 2010, 01:56 PM']I also like really low and thin frets, as low as possible in fact, to allow smooth slides more like a fretless but easier to play in tune.

Are there any new basses with particularly low, thin frets ?[/quote]

Dingwalls, Laklands and Sadowsky's are renowned for low frets.

[quote name='Wil' post='1014293' date='Nov 6 2010, 02:16 PM']Sounds like you need a re-fret with smaller fret wire. It's a lot of work so £160 sounds about right to be honest![/quote]

That would be ideal (but expensive) so I'm wondering if I could simply have all the existing frets lowered to avoid that expense...

[quote name='Spoombung' post='1014289' date='Nov 6 2010, 02:10 PM']Dingwalls, Laklands and Sadowsky's are renowned for low frets.[/quote]

Jap Fender vintage reissues seem to have pretty small and narrow frets, certainly the ones on my 75RI are even smaller (quite substantially) than the ones on the MIM 70s, which are supposedly 'vintage'-style and definitely smaller than the standard medium-jumbo.

[quote name='Spoombung' post='1014336' date='Nov 6 2010, 03:03 PM']Bass Gallery have "Fret stoning to level frets including crowning" at £75:

[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/workshop.cfm"]http://www.thebassgallery.com/workshop.cfm[/url]

Maybe that's what I need?[/quote]
That's what I had them do to my trusty old TSB-400 to get shot of the dings/wear on the lower frets - utterly transformed it. As soon as I've got some spare cash, the SB-900 will get the same treatment.

Pete.

I also love the smaller frets. As already mentioned, Lakland use banjo wire and this give their necks a really fast action IME.
Funny enough both my Squier CV bass also have vintage (low) frets and these too are pretty fast necks.

Edited by dave_bass5