Why become a member? ×

Laney Nexus 15"s

indiegrungesound

Does anyone own any of these or even just tried one? Considering upgrading from my 2 Warwick 12" Neo Pros. (The idea is that, as the Laneys are rated @ 400 watts @ 8 ohms, that I could use just 1 safely with my LH500 whilst having a 800 watt capacity monster rig for gigs-provided my prospective new band gets off the ground.)

Any thoughts are appreciated!

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1013489' date='Nov 5 2010, 04:42 PM']You can use one fine with your LH500, just as you can use one of your current cabs happily with it, because the LH500 comes equipped with a volume control.[/quote]

Turn the volume DOWN??? Are you mad man? ;-)

In all seriousness, I take your point, but seeing as each Warwick has a headroom of 300 watts @ 8 ohms and the Hartke puts out 350 watts, I really don't fancy risking the chance of my speakers blowing, no matter how remote.

Anyone else tried these? (N.B. I think I might actually go to my back up plan of just getting a 2nd amp head as a back up that I can just use with 1 cab.)

Thing is, speaker watts and amp watts aren't related in the way you think. You can have a speaker farting out at a much lower power than its thermal rating (that's what 'watts' on a speaker is, the point where the voice coil melts or deforms enough to stop working), and a farting out speaker it heading toward damage, but the damage is mechanical, not thermal, and that power rating would be dependent on frequency, so not one to quote (plus it is around a third of the thermal rating, so wouldn't look very good). So basically, you can blow your speakers with an amp about one third of the rating of them, if you boost up the wrong frequency, or ignore the fact it is farting out without turning down.

does anyone have an opinion on the nexus range? sorry if i'm thread jacking, but they look ace!

i have an ampeg 115 thats fantastic, but I like the look of the nexus range, and was thinking 2 15s and a 410 for my distorted top - will the nexus compare to the ampeg 15 at all?

cheers

[quote name='rmshaw37' post='1014266' date='Nov 6 2010, 01:47 PM']does anyone have an opinion on the nexus range? sorry if i'm thread jacking, but they look ace!

i have an ampeg 115 thats fantastic, but I like the look of the nexus range, and was thinking 2 15s and a 410 for my distorted top - will the nexus compare to the ampeg 15 at all?

cheers[/quote]
Feel free to hijack it. They just seemed like a good option to me, hence why I asked in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1027532' date='Nov 18 2010, 01:55 AM']going to bump this as I am contemplating this cab as well

ply constuction and Celestion neo driver for £237[/quote]
i was going to get one but score a Purple Chili 112 instead.

I couldn't find anything else in that price point to touch the laney spec wise

well that was my plan as well. Use 1 as a monitor for the wedding band and have a second one to use with the rock band.

They've been getting some good reviews on Talkbs but they ain't for the hifi mob apparently. Meant to sound really rocky and aggressive which suits me down to the ground.

Thought I'd check here first before going for it.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1027773' date='Nov 18 2010, 11:34 AM']well that was my plan as well. Use 1 as a monitor for the wedding band and have a second one to use with the rock band.

They've been getting some good reviews on Talkbs but they ain't for the hifi mob apparently. Meant to sound really rocky and aggressive which suits me down to the ground.

Thought I'd check here first before going for it.[/quote]
similar plan here, one for rehearsals, two for gigs.
been thinking about the ashdown compacts too, but the laneys are lighter.
rocky and aggressive suits me too!

Once I get the payment for the cab I have just sold I'm going to be buying one of these.

I have the Christmas party nights coming up so I'll probably post here when I get it, after the first gig and at the beginning of next year once I have done a few and the honeymoon period is over.

If Its as good as it sounds on paper then I'll be buying a second at that point, if not then offers please :)

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1027773' date='Nov 18 2010, 11:34 AM']They've been getting some good reviews on Talkbs but they ain't for the hifi mob apparently. Meant to sound really rocky and aggressive which suits me down to the ground.[/quote]
If you like the sound, that's an amazing price for a proper ply cab with a neo driver. Are they made in China?

If you go to page 3 and look at the picture of the inputs at the right hand side it says Made and designed in the UK. Looks like the entire range is as well.

[url="http://www.laney.co.uk/manuals/NX115%20Manual%20-%202007%20-%20Issue%201.pdf"]http://www.laney.co.uk/manuals/NX115%20Man...20Issue%201.pdf[/url]

Bonus :)

Hi!.

I have a laney nexus cab 1x15 connected to a mesa boogie
400+. I have it to play at home.

Impressions:
The cab is very light, I can lift using one hand. The Tolex is
looks fragile, but still has no ears. I have not moved very little.
I have it at home.
I think the speaker is a green series of celetion. The sound is pure
vintage. The cab does not give deep bass or greats trebles, but if given middle very good.
I like it because I use my precision bass sound like as Glenn Hughes in Made in Europe, I've always wanted to have that bass sound.

I'm looking for a 2x15 diesel to play with my rock band. Now
I'm in the business of finding some.

If this business does not go well I have studied the option of 1x15 (2)
laney nexus.

If you have questions ask me. Greetings to everyone.

P.D: All made in UK.

• 3 weeks later...

After nearly 2 weeks of patiently waiting I pre-empted the delivery and went and collected the cab today from the courier's depot as it would've probably been next week sometime before i received it.

I'm just letting it get up to room temperature before I connect it to my amp and give it a whirl.

I'll report back tomorrow night after I've had the chance to gig it.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1054323' date='Dec 10 2010, 06:40 PM']After nearly 2 weeks of patiently waiting I pre-empted the delivery and went and collected the cab today from the courier's depot as it would've probably been next week sometime before i received it.

I'm just letting it get up to room temperature before I connect it to my amp and give it a whirl.

I'll report back tomorrow night after I've had the chance to gig it.[/quote]

Yeeeahhhh!

[quote name='jesuskno' post='1054522' date='Dec 10 2010, 09:33 PM']Yeeeahhhh![/quote]

steady on now :)

I have to say that in the house, in the relative low volumes compared to at the gig, the level of bass was amazing. deep, rich bottom end but still nice and trebly.

Let's see what it does tomorrow night

I was speaking to the singer in the rock band who is 54 and when I mentioned Laney he was shocked as he thinks its a bunch of sh*t but hopefully I can persuaded him that the new sh*t is better than the old sh*t