Why become a member? ×

Just bought a Dingwall Afterburner :D

Jamesemt

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1012062' date='Nov 4 2010, 02:03 PM']Here is a young Peruvian chap that has a very nice ABZ 5 and plays some wicked latin music on it.

[/quote]

Hmm. His G sounds well out of tune once he gets up into visible fret area. Not a good advert for a Novak-boarded bass.

Also notable for what looks like a "floating thumb" muting technique, combined with the Dingwall marks him out as a bit of a bass anorak. But good luck to him getting a gig anyway. :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1012690' date='Nov 4 2010, 10:41 PM']Hmm. His G sounds well out of tune once he gets up into visible fret area. Not a good advert for a Novak-boarded bass.[/quote]
Having listened to it again (on headphones this time), I've realised that what he's actually done is left Oscar Stagnaro's playing in the mix (rather than just using the accompaniment from the left channel). So we're hearing two basses at once. It's most obvious towards the end when he deviates from what's written. You can clearly hear two separate basslines. No idea who's got the dodgy intonation though.

IIRC, Oscar Stagnaro uses a Warwick, so if you've ever wondered what it'd sound like to have two bassists in the same band, one with a Dingwall and one with a Streamer... there's your answer. :) Thought it sounded pretty nice, myself.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1012690' date='Nov 4 2010, 10:41 PM']Also notable for what looks like a "floating thumb" muting technique, combined with the Dingwall marks him out as a bit of a bass anorak. But good luck to him getting a gig anyway. :)[/quote]

I am probably the worst player on the forum and I play with a floating thumb...despite the bass, I am definitely not a bass anorak!

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1012530' date='Nov 4 2010, 08:22 PM']I've also ordered a Dingwall Super J in the J/P pickup combination and this video really gives me gas

[/quote]

I hope it was just the camera used to record that video that made it sound awful, because that is not a good advert! Big farty, wooly sounding bass that doesn't sound very even at all! I know it's a P/J type affair but it really doesn't sound great to me! The bottom end was wooly and flappy sounding, the mids were non existant (probably by choice) and the highs were muted and flat as a fart.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1012881' date='Nov 5 2010, 07:20 AM']I hope it was just the camera used to record that video that made it sound awful, because that is not a good advert! Big farty, wooly sounding bass that doesn't sound very even at all! I know it's a P/J type affair but it really doesn't sound great to me! The bottom end was wooly and flappy sounding, the mids were non existant (probably by choice) and the highs were muted and flat as a fart.[/quote]

Nah it was probably recorded with a mobile phone.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1013054' date='Nov 5 2010, 10:28 AM']Yes! Dingwall do them fretless too

[/quote]

Thanks GW! I'm glad they've lined the board :) I wonder how well the concept works with a fretless - has anyone on here played a fanned fretless?

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='1011387' date='Nov 3 2010, 09:36 PM']Had to share it with someone. Everything just feels right about it.

For anyone unsure about the fanned frets, it's not an issue. It took me about ten seconds to adjust.

The main difference seems to be the clarity - the strings are now very close in volume/tone to each other even jumping positions. Chords sound a lot clearer and don't seem to 'throb' like on a regular fretted bass.

I'm well impressed - be interesting to see how it sounds with the band. Sorry only got an Iphone picture for now.[/quote]If you ever get bored of it I'll do you a favour & take it off your hands :) .. guess I'll be heading to bassdirect soon myself ! gotta try one of those ...

[quote name='sifi2112' post='1081239' date='Jan 7 2011, 04:04 PM']If you ever get bored of it I'll do you a favour & take it off your hands :) .. guess I'll be heading to bassdirect soon myself ! gotta try one of those ...[/quote]

Only if you've got a Sadowsky P Metro to trade?? Sadly coming to the conclusion that I am an active guy...

I played one of these, a 4 stringer at Bass Direct last week. Oh my god what a bass it is. I'd happily get my hands on one and sell everything else i own, well maybe not the T-40 or the SB but I doubt they'd see much more use. The frets are easy to get used to and it's so clear and well balaced across the whole neck, also the fit and finish is bang on. Did I mention I like them?

They've just got a few new Dingers in at Bassdirect, i think ill be heading up there pretty damn soon to give some a go.
The Afterburner 2 looks sublime as does the Z2, bit pricey though.
Im starting to be of the opinion that a Combustion is the way to go for me, simply because i play in a band where theres a lot of thrashing about going on both on and off the stage, if i were to buy an Afterburner or say a Le Fay or something and it got damaged, well i think i would either commit murder or have a nervous breakdown!
I think i would be scared out of my mind playing it live!
Yeah, the Combustion is still a fair amount but not that much that i would be getting all mental about playing it out of my safe bedroom!

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='1081246' date='Jan 7 2011, 04:08 PM']Only if you've got a Sadowsky P Metro to trade?? Sadly coming to the conclusion that I am an active guy...[/quote]Sadly no but do have some nice jazz basses but passive only .. or Markbass classic 610 (flightcased - only have to take front off)