Why become a member? ×

Zappa Plays Zappa + Mighty Boosh - in London with Scott Thunes...

urb

Hey

I just got tickets to this gig - anyone else going or fancy it?

[url="http://www.roundhouse.org.uk/whats-on/productions/saturday-zappa-plays-zappa-the-mighty-boosh-band"]http://www.roundhouse.org.uk/whats-on/prod...ghty-boosh-band[/url]

Scott is making a super rare appearance - should be an amazing gig, I just watched the concert they showed on Sky Arts recently and the band is astonishing.

Cheers

Mike

I have tickets too - going with a singer friend of mine.

We've seen Dweezil a few times - to be honest I think the show is a bit up and down at times. Saw him about 3 years ago & he was brilliant and then the year after it all got a bit too self indulgent and I got a little bored half way through. Didn't go last time out but I heard it was a lot better again so here's hoping this will be a good 'un :)

[quote name='charic' post='1010340' date='Nov 3 2010, 08:14 AM']Am I the only person not to find Mighty Boosh amusing?[/quote]
No, you are not. In fact, that is the part of the evening we should meet up for a beer and a chat :)

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='1010391' date='Nov 3 2010, 09:19 AM']No, you are not. In fact, that is the part of the evening we should meet up for a beer and a chat :)[/quote]
Probably the best idea - I quite like the TV show but was stupid enough to go & see them live when they played in Edinburgh a couple of years ago. Inept, unrehearsed and entirely unfunny on every level.

Jon.

So what did people think?

I thought the Boosh were mildly amusing for about 5 minutes and then I could happily have lived without them!

ZPZ was a lot more 'structured' than when I've seen them before - obviously helped by playing all of Apostrophe :)

I quite enjoyed it & Dweezil is a fine guitarist but I seeing big Frank up on the video screen just made me wish it was him in person. I saw him live a couple of times and he brought so much presence to the stage that Dweezil doesn't really have.

Enjoyed seeing Scott Thunes, looks totally different but moves exactly the same & still throws some cool shapes, lol.

Surprisingly high 'twat' ratio in the audience near me. A fight nearly broke out at one point, lot of people really pissed wandering around & one git who was insistent on shouting out lines from the Apostrophe album just before they were actually sung live to show off how well he knew the album. Eventually someone gave him a good talking to to shut him up :)

Awesome gig, and a little bit emotional in places.

Scott Thunes was on top form, although you can't fault the band Dweezil had put together.

I was expecting to hate The Boosh and retire to the bar, however they won me over with 'Underwater Steve'.

All in all a fantastic day I feel. Multiple eargasms all round.

[quote name='molan' post='1015259' date='Nov 7 2010, 01:51 PM']So what did people think?

I thought the Boosh were mildly amusing for about 5 minutes and then I could happily have lived without them!

ZPZ was a lot more 'structured' than when I've seen them before - obviously helped by playing all of Apostrophe :)

I quite enjoyed it & Dweezil is a fine guitarist but I seeing big Frank up on the video screen just made me wish it was him in person. I saw him live a couple of times and he brought so much presence to the stage that Dweezil doesn't really have.

Enjoyed seeing Scott Thunes, looks totally different but moves exactly the same & still throws some cool shapes, lol.

Surprisingly high 'twat' ratio in the audience near me. A fight nearly broke out at one point, lot of people really pissed wandering around & one git who was insistent on shouting out lines from the Apostrophe album just before they were actually sung live to show off how well he knew the album. Eventually someone gave him a good talking to to shut him up :)[/quote]

An extremely enjoyable evening! It seemed like everyone I'd ever been to a gig with was there - and it was the busiest I'd ever seen the Roundhouse (agree re twat-ratio too, sadly). On-screen Frank worked surprisingly well, and it was cool having him "there" at gig volumes. Has anyone got a full setlist?

The Thunes/Moon Unit-assisted Valley Girl encore was just brilliant. I'd seen Moon and daughter Mathilda wandering around the venue earlier, but of course didn't twig who they were until they were on-stage. (Valley Girl clip: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-48qRb5wefI)"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-48qRb5wefI)[/url]

Boosh: not as good as I'd hoped. I went along with an open mind, not really having seen them before. (Actually I've seen Julian Barratt more in the audience at the Jazz Caff or the ex-Spitz than I have on telly with TMB).

Setlist nicked from the ZPZ Forum:

The Gumbo Variations
Don’t Eat The Yellow Snow
Nanook Rubs It
St. Alphonzo’s Pancake Breakfast (rare FZ footage…live video stream not included)
Father O'Blivion (rare FZ footage…live video stream not included)
Cosmik Debris (rare FZ footage…live video stream not included)
Excentrifugal Forz
Apostrophe (’)
Uncle Remus
Stink-Foot
Inca Roads (rare FZ footage…live video stream not included)
Dumb All Over (w/ Scott Thunes & rare FZ footage…live video stream not included)
Montana (w/ Scott Thunes & FZ footage)
Pick Me, I’m Clean (w/ Scott Thunes)
RDNZL
Wonderful Wino (original version w/ Jeff Simmons & rare FZ footage…live video stream not included)
Cruisin’ For Burgers (ZINY version)

I Promise Not To Come In Your Mouth
Baby Snakes
Dance Party Disco Mashup / Valley Girl (w/ Moon & Matilda Zappa & rare FZ footage…live video stream not included)
Muffin Man (w/ FZ footage)

I'll be honest, apart from seeing my hero Scott playing bass to Zappa again, the whole experience left me cold. I thought it was all very competent, but I felt empty inside. Great to see Scott though, all I could do was see him, I couldn't hear him because the sound was so poor near the front.

The Q&A on Sunday with Scott and Jeff was interesting, but woefully short at 1 hour.

[quote name='silddx' post='1016344' date='Nov 8 2010, 01:44 PM']I'll be honest, apart from seeing my hero Scott playing bass to Zappa again, the whole experience left me cold. I thought it was all very competent, but I felt empty inside. Great to see Scott though, all I could do was see him, I couldn't hear him because the sound was so poor near the front.

The Q&A on Sunday with Scott and Jeff was interesting, but woefully short at 1 hour.[/quote]

Funnily enough the first thing I noticed about Scot T was how different his sound was. I was about half way back and on his side of the stage. If I remember rightly he was playing with a pick on the first song and it was really cutting through the mix. Didn't sound the same on the other numbers though, not sure if that was a change in his playing style for those or whether the sound man had turned him down!

I agree about the 'competent but cold' summation - that's kinda how I felt (and explains why I just kept wishing it was FZ himself up there!).