Why become a member? ×

Do 60s Jazz Basses have thicker necks

Cat Burrito

I appreciate the measurements are on the Fender site but I wondered which of Fender's current crop of Jazz basses have a thicker neck. I know Jazzes are narrower at the nut than Precisions but some must have thicker necks. I'm toying with the idea of picking up a Jazz but want one with a neck that is closer to a P-bass and suspect I may wind up changing the neck if I do wind up getting one. At the moment the 60s MIM Classic is looking favourite.

I know that 'The Bass Doctor' and 'Wateroftyne' can probably give a better idea of the various differences in profile of early Fender necks but from personal experience the necks that I've tried either from genuine 60's basses or their accurate reissues are slimmer profile than those of the 70's basses (or their reissues). As to exactly 'how' much different they are I'll leave that to the fenderheads... after all I like those fugly Warwick basses personally! :)

I think Nash is a bit out of my budget and I am thinking really just within the Fender range (not that I'm concerned to step outside of the brand but for the purposes of this I'm thinking Fender MIM, MIJ and possibly MIA only.

Sane is a great mistype by the way...or is it? :)

Well the Fender 70's classic has a chunkier neck, front to back, than most Jazzes I've tried. Maybe you need a bit more wood to keep it stable because of those mother of pearl inlays. Here's a nice one on ebay, sure is purty [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180581336341&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1008902' date='Nov 1 2010, 07:25 PM']I appreciate the measurements are on the Fender site but I wondered which of Fender's current crop of Jazz basses have a thicker neck. I know Jazzes are narrower at the nut than Precisions but some must have thicker necks. I'm toying with the idea of picking up a Jazz but want one with a neck that is closer to a P-bass and suspect I may wind up changing the neck if I do wind up getting one. At the moment the 60s MIM Classic is looking favourite.[/quote]

I bought a 60's Classic from dub_junkie a year or so ago and couldn't play it any length of time because of the neck shape - it certainly wasn't deep enough back to front for me. I had the same problem with a Lakland Duck Dunn. I'm noodling with a roadworn at the moment and get on OK with that. I'm pretty sure most of the MIJ/CIJ 60's jazz's I've had have been fairly deep back to front.

Does the Aerodyne series not have a slightly different flatter fingerboard? I might have imagined that though. Mark Hoppus ones too, but that is a Precision neck. I would say Sadowsky jazzes have a somewhat different neck profile that I really like but they are expensive and its clear that some folk on here just don't like them! Sandberg as well I thought as well had a less cramped jazz neck that didn't plat like a standard Jazz neck. I would stick to a good P bass personally or get a second hand Fender and switch the neck with a Precision neck.

[quote name='gjones' post='1008995' date='Nov 1 2010, 09:02 PM']Well the Fender 70's classic has a chunkier neck, front to back, than most Jazzes I've tried. Maybe you need a bit more wood to keep it stable because of those mother of pearl inlays. Here's a nice one on ebay, sure is purty [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180581336341&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url][/quote]

I had a 70sRI Jazz back in the 90s. The bridge pup is further back and I definitely want more of a 60s vibe. I am a sucker for those block inlays though!

[quote name='BB2000' post='1008996' date='Nov 1 2010, 09:02 PM']I bought a 60's Classic from dub_junkie a year or so ago and couldn't play it any length of time because of the neck shape - it certainly wasn't deep enough back to front for me. I'm noodling with a roadworn at the moment and get on OK with that. I'm pretty sure most of the MIJ/CIJ 60's jazz's I've had have been fairly deep back to front.[/quote]

Yep, big fan of the Japanese basses but days of googling are showing they are not so easy to get hold of in this current climate. What's the roadworn neck like? I'm definitely on the fence with them. I was a little anti at first but everybody who owns one seems to love them

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1009030' date='Nov 1 2010, 09:32 PM']My now ex-2009 American Standard had a very fast, but also very slim, neck profile. For me, it was a little cramped...and maybe I could have got used to it after a while.[/quote]

I think a lot of people (me included) forget that actually if you play reguarly with an instrument you do bond with it & learn to love whatever neck profile.

[quote name='machinehead' post='1009079' date='Nov 1 2010, 10:25 PM']The MIM classic 70s jazz has a deeper neck than any other jazz I've played.[/quote]
Interesting. I just have a problem with the bridge pup being set further back. I think I may be being too picky as I'd put flats on it anyway

[quote name='thodrik' post='1009174' date='Nov 1 2010, 11:44 PM']Mark Hoppus ones too, but that is a Precision neck. I would say Sadowsky jazzes have a somewhat different neck profile that I really like but they are expensive and its clear that some folk on here just don't like them! I would stick to a good P bass personally or get a second hand Fender and switch the neck with a Precision neck.[/quote]

The Mark Hoppus ones seem to me to be P-basses with Jazz bodies so that's out. My original plan was indeed to stick a P-bass neck on a Jazz bass body and this may yet happen.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Do keep 'em coming. I was also impressed with the new MIM Standards FYI.