Why become a member? ×

playing with fingers

bobbytodd

right ive always played using a plectrum always until now when i thought i would try finger style.but i think im just to heavy handed and always seem to get a lot of clack in the sound.the action on my basses are very low so have you guys got any tips i.m thinking about lessons but its hard to teach an old dog new tricks

I was a pick player for 10yrs and now pretty much only play with fingers. The trick is (& you'll hate this) is just to start slowly and work up slowly. It will come. It felt weird for ages when I first switched. I suspect you are probably trying to run before you can walk which is the common mistake I kept making.

Sounds like you are either playing quite hard, close to the neck or your saddles need raising slightly (or both). I am doing the same thing as you, moving from plectrum only to fingerstyle. I have made the most advances while also learning upright bass (which has increased my right hand finger strength but may not be practical for you) and also by learning to play slower lines accurately. Try something like Otis 'Dock of the bay' or Police 'Walking on the moon' where you need to get a simple fingerstyle groove going. Not too taxing but helps build confidence and technique.

[quote name='bobbytodd' post='1000581' date='Oct 25 2010, 10:28 PM']i'll give that a try i had been playing to the trooper and the stuff i normaly play.i do play close to the neck so i'll bring my hand towards the bridge

cheers[/quote]
Funny - I also started by trying to play The trooper and Murders at the Rue Morgue, assuming that anyone could be Steve Harris! Wrong!!!!!

[quote name='bobbytodd' post='1001607' date='Oct 26 2010, 07:47 PM']right took all you advice moved my hand position and started from scratch with a simple tune free's alright now but i still find im digging my fingers in while playing any advice on how to get the gentle touch cause im a heavy handed sod :)[/quote]
Stick...wiv the Pick

[quote name='bobbytodd' post='1001607' date='Oct 26 2010, 07:47 PM']right took all you advice moved my hand position and started from scratch with a simple tune free's alright now but i still find im digging my fingers in while playing any advice on how to get the gentle touch cause im a heavy handed sod :)[/quote]

Turn your amp well up.

btw if you're starting to play with fingers, try and include the trailing thumb technique to mute unwanted strings. A great trick for clean playing (and recording), and you might as well build it in now as later.

I'm quite heavy handed with my fingerstyle. I find too low an action to be unworkable with my technique, so I tend to have it set medium high. If you're not keen on raising your action then you may want to try plucking nearer the bridge as the string tension is higher there, resulting in less string oscillation and less chance of fret clatter. As others have mentioned, ensuring that your amp is loud enough will mean you dig in less to get the volume you want.

Dont 'hit' the strings!

Your fingers should brush across them. The string should vibrate in parallel with the neck more than it does perpendicular to it. The difference between loud and hard is how tense your last knuckle on your fingertip is, nothing more is really necessary, and is wasting energy.

This

[quote name='Wil' post='1002190' date='Oct 27 2010, 11:07 AM']... If you're not keen on raising your action then you may want to try plucking nearer the bridge as the string tension is higher there, resulting in less string oscillation and less chance of fret clatter. As others have mentioned, ensuring that your amp is loud enough will mean you dig in less to get the volume you want.[/quote]

and this...

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='1002245' date='Oct 27 2010, 11:44 AM']Have a look at the angle your fingers are striking the strings- if you're getting excessive fret noise you might be hitting the strings down, as opposed to across them (think of the direction your pick moves in- across and "through" the string, not down towards the pickups).[/quote]

When I saw Steve Harris play (you were naming Iron Maiden songs right?) he plays incredibly lightly, but monster fast and consistent.

I think it might be the angle you're plucking with as mentioned above, you'll want to aim to play across the string instead of through it towards the body. If you pluck as you would normally but in slow motion you'll be able to see if you're dragging the string to the fretboard with your stroke, and if so you can compensate by hitting it more laterally.
Also it might be that you've got your amp at the same volume as when you're playing with a pick- a pick is naturally louder than fingers in my experience so it might just be that you're having to play harder to get the same volume.

It'll all come with practice though!