Why become a member? ×

What bass does Victor Wooten play?

Bass_Guardian

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1001691' date='Oct 26 2010, 07:39 PM']Really interesting post, cheers Barrie.

I'd love to see Wooten with a P bass and an Ampeg having a go at some Punk, I really mean that it'd be fun to see what he'd do.[/quote]

I know I've been harping on a bit about my weekend surrounded by bass people but it really did open my eyes to a lot of things and people's beliefs about music, the 'biz, and just playing bass in general.

I have to admit I was quite surprised when VW was the 'house' player for the live Bootsy session. He held a groove really well and was seriously funky without over-playing once.

I agree it would be cool to see him have a go at some heavy duty punk - I have a sneaking suspicion he might just nail it :)

Speaking of which - Billy Sheehan seemed to play quite a diverse range of stuff. I couldn't believe it when he launched into a full on version of Return of the Giant Hogweed by Genesis as a demonstration of some early tapping technique, lol.

Its unfortunate that most of the time with players such as these all you get to see/hear is a huge w***fest and there's probably few have heard them playing 'regular' stuff.

As I've heard Billy Sheehan say before, he's paid to be the bass player yet all you see on Youtube are those solos and people get fed up with them forgetting that they actually play 'bass' bass

Wasn't Mr Big's biggest hit 'To Be With You Again'? So simple and no widdles

[quote name='molan' post='1000735' date='Oct 26 2010, 04:23 AM']I realise this is going to sound like a bit of smart alec thing to say but I was actually chatting to him yesterday at BPL on the Fodera stand where he was trying out a new custom Monarch. it's made of different woods to any of his and has a narrower neck than a the most usual one specified by Monarch owners (based on a '64 Jazz profile). I asked him what he thought and he said it was just an amazing bass and he really liked it - so much so that it was going to cost him a lot of money because he was going to order one to a similar spec.

No reason to say that if it wasn't true and the Fodera guys later confirmed he would be coming in soon to go over the details :) He wasn't able to take the one that was at the show as it was heading to the UK fiarly soon . . .[/quote]

This seems on topic, so I hope you don't mind me sharing this here. I got this pic a few hours a go. Jason at Fodera took a pic of this very same bass being played by the very same Victor. And yes it's on its way to Blighty right now ...guess where!

The OP may enjoy this: I did.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj5f7gRLVFQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj5f7gRLVFQ[/url]

It was also really interesting hearing that some of the top companies make so little. Lots of respect there, I mean maybe thats why some get big enough to have a lower line (ie sadowsky metro) that that subsidises the other parts of the business.

I guess it almost got into a "why does x bass cost so much" the first page, my analogy would be- Lewis Hamilton would make my grans £10k saxo look good. But he gets better results in a £100mil McLaren.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1001802' date='Oct 26 2010, 10:04 PM']Its unfortunate that most of the time with players such as these all you get to see/hear is a huge w***fest and there's probably few have heard them playing 'regular' stuff.

As I've heard Billy Sheehan say before, he's paid to be the bass player yet all you see on Youtube are those solos and people get fed up with them forgetting that they actually play 'bass' bass

Wasn't Mr Big's biggest hit 'To Be With You Again'? So simple and no widdles[/quote]

Yeah I totally agree, most of the Wooten haters will have never sat down and listened to a Flecktones album. In that circumstance he rarely overplays, but type his name into google and you get his NAMM chops and the bass solo from a two hour gig as a side man put right out of context. I think this is an important point that everyone forgets sometimes, it's just sad that some people never realise this in the first place (and it's not necessarily their fault).

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='1001876' date='Oct 26 2010, 11:05 PM']This seems on topic, so I hope you don't mind me sharing this here. I got this pic a few hours a go. Jason at Fodera took a pic of this very same bass being played by the very same Victor. And yes it's on its way to Blighty right now ...guess where!

[/quote]

That's the baby in question - it was kinda funny to see VW playing it, putting it back on the stand and then re-appearing to try it out again a few minutes later. He really didn't want to put it down :)

On the artist endorsement thing - I was chatting to one luthier (I was asked not to broadcast this publicly so I'll keep names to myself) who had a 'name' player after one of his basses.

The player wasn't up there in the stratospheric Wooten league but was someone I'd heard of and, potentially, quite influential.

The builder offered him 5% off the price of a completed bass and told me he might stretch to 10% so he wouldn't have to lug it home with him after the show. The player seemed pretty happy with the 5% deal but I don't know if he actually bought it or not ( I did spot it had gone from the stand later in the day though).

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='1001631' date='Oct 26 2010, 08:00 PM']Just watchin vic on youtube again and i came across a bass battle thingy. What bass is anthony wellington using. It sounds amazing and looks stunning.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na2vXJXmGwQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na2vXJXmGwQ[/url][/quote]

That'll be another Fodera then :)

This is an Imperial - Phil has a stunning one in stock at the moment:

The build quality on this one is amazing - I particularly like the neck joint from the rear. . .

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1003708' date='Oct 28 2010, 01:31 PM']Thats what I love about Fodera, their simplicity and elegance. I think this is the key to their design above all other things, they look so natural and avoid the tacky and contrived look of some handmade basses such as Ritter etc etc.[/quote]

IMO that is pretty damn ugly.

Gold hardware, shaped like John Merrick in profile and with wooden pickup covers? Pretty tacky IMHO. Certainly nothing on Ritter though, I'll admit.

And to be fair, I do like Bongos, so my taste is questionable.

Edited by Wil