Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Bass Special and/or PJ-555

Paul S

I apologise in advance for keep asking similar questions but I am gradually getting more focus on what I want from a bass and I think these just about sum it up.

Does anyone have any of these? What are they like to live with? Are they active? Are they similar to Precision Lyte basses?

ta.

I've got a Jazz Bass Special. It's the black neck, non-active (i.e. non-PowerJazz) version.

Has a very grindy, punchy & full bass tone - think Duff McKagan (Guns n Roses/Velvet Revolver) and is very comfortable to play...

I've a Power Jazz Special in Ivory (Like Duffs but he's is passive) Black neck,Black Headstock, Great neck on them. I had a P Lyte and the Special is a whole different bass when it comes to sounds with a much more complex Eq system-

The Fender Power Jazz Bass Special features a unique Active Tone Enhancement (ATE) circuit. which can add low end “pop” or high end “brilliance”. The ATE circuit has three modes: Passive (in which the tone control acts like a standard tone control); Low Frequency Boost; and Midrange Boost.

It also goes passive too which is great. Might be moving it on in a bit if your interested.

Ok, that's brilliant. I didn't know the distinction between the Jazz Special and Power Jazz Special - ie which ones were active or passive. I think the PJ-555 is passive (but not entirely sure).

Geddys nose - PM coming soon.

Hey There

Ive got an original mid 80s Jazz Bass Special (PJ-555) in all Black inc. Headstock, Neck and Hardware. Really light, comfortable to play. Sounds great, and has a TBX tone pot which is a great feature. They come stock with the High Output (1/4" pole pieces) Jap Fender Pickups. I'm a big Duff Fan so mine is modded with Knurled Metal Knobs and Seymour Duncan STK-J2B Bridge pickup.

Also worth looking at is the new Duff McKagan signature model. Pretty much the same guitar, although the neck shape is a bit suspect ;-)

[quote name='Paul S' post='1001036' date='Oct 26 2010, 12:50 PM']Ok, that's brilliant. I didn't know the distinction between the Jazz Special and Power Jazz Special - ie which ones were active or passive. I think the PJ-555 is passive (but not entirely sure).

Geddys nose - PM coming soon.[/quote]

[quote name='chriswilliams666' post='1001332' date='Oct 26 2010, 04:47 PM']Hey There

Ive got an original mid 80s Jazz Bass Special (PJ-555) in all Black inc. Headstock, Neck and Hardware. Really light, comfortable to play. Sounds great, and has a TBX tone pot which is a great feature. They come stock with the High Output (1/4" pole pieces) Jap Fender Pickups. I'm a big Duff Fan so mine is modded with Knurled Metal Knobs and Seymour Duncan STK-J2B Bridge pickup.

Also worth looking at is the new Duff McKagan signature model. Pretty much the same guitar, although the neck shape is a bit suspect ;-)[/quote]

Chris - sounds gorgeous - any pictures you can post?

Andy - yes I saw it. Nice. If only it were black... are you still interested in a lucite bass BTW? I was looking at one for sale on'tnet recently [url="http://www.bringmusic.co.uk/bringmusic/Welcome.html"]here[/url].

By way of a small update I will be, with the greatest delight, relieving geddys nose of his Power Jazz Special, so that ought to shut me up for a while.

Thanks Si, looking forward to it with mounting excitement. Even if it isn't black.

• 1 month later...