Why become a member? ×

Hello from Wales

j2112c

Just saying 'Hello' to everyone on the forum. :D

I have floated about the forum past week or so as I have been looking for a bass. I am a proficient guitarist that has decided to put another string to the bow (or is that lose a string to my bow? :) ) and I plan to fast track on the bass - your help is needed! :)

I am looking for a really top quality bass and really could do with some ideas from the gang.. 4,5 or 6 string... I know a ton about guitars and the sounds they and the amps can provide, but zero about bass!
I am looking to be able to play some songs from my heroes T. M. Stevens, Jaco, Pattituci... and whisper it Mark King..

At the end of the month I will have a bass, (currently between a Yam TRB6/Warwick Streamer 4/Warwick Thumb 5) by the end of January I want to be doing Teen Town!

Bets are on to see if I can jump from guitar to bass and learn all the new techniques and get Teen Town down! :lol: :)

[quote name='owen' post='996445' date='Oct 21 2010, 10:03 PM']You will need all of those basses. Don't fight it.[/quote]

:) :lol: :)
Oh noooooOOOOoooooOOOOo GAS attack!
I simply can't - mustn't - shouldn't - get bass GAS.... I have seven guitars, two Marshall stacks, four amps altogether NO.....!!!!!!!

... OK... I know... it will happen! :)

This was part of my reason for getting a top notch bass straight off, if I have an aptitude it will last me a lifetime and I can resist the GAS. I have already finally called time on guitar gear.
If I have moderate success and simply play rubbish bass (like a guitarist playing bass).. then I will need all the help I can get from the bass in terms of playability and quality.

This guys is where I want to get to.... I think it is going to be a long project! He just seems so smooth, even and effortless... nice note choices too. Cool.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy3V2Tl4g3s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy3V2Tl4g3s[/url]

Edited by j2112c

[quote name='Bilbo' post='996804' date='Oct 22 2010, 10:34 AM']Where are you based in God's own country, j2112c?[/quote]

I am in sunny Aberdare, originally from Kendal in Cumbria, but I have been down here for seven years... I love the place, really settled here. Friendly people, lots of music, good neighbours... what more could I ask for?... In fact my next door is a bassist in three bands and the lass living opposite me has just sung on four songs and done vocal arrangements on the Manic Street Preachers new no.1 album... pretty good place!

[quote name='LemonCello' post='996913' date='Oct 22 2010, 12:05 PM']Welcome to BassChat from Lemon Cello now residing in Merthyr.[/quote]

You know Lem... I very nearly posted a reply to your advert seeking a band as I want to start up the UK's only Dio Tribute band.. I have had a lot of interest from clubs that want to book up a Dio act and I know 12 songs fully from a set list of 18 songs I set out (I play mean guitar!)

I have a drummer the will come on board but only when it is all set up (he is thinking money) - and I have a few vocalists in mind... one was in Merthyr.

So ho hum, if you fancy fighting the good fight with some Old Skool 1980's metal then offer is there mate. :)

[quote name='j2112c' post='997310' date='Oct 22 2010, 05:19 PM']You know Lem... I very nearly posted a reply to your advert seeking a band as I want to start up the UK's only Dio Tribute band.. I have had a lot of interest from clubs that want to book up a Dio act and I know 12 songs fully from a set list of 18 songs I set out (I play mean guitar!)

I have a drummer the will come on board but only when it is all set up (he is thinking money) - and I have a few vocalists in mind... one was in Merthyr.

So ho hum, if you fancy fighting the good fight with some Old Skool 1980's metal then offer is there mate. :)[/quote]

Oh damn! I would LOVE to play in a Dio tribute act!

[quote name='Jam' post='997323' date='Oct 22 2010, 05:27 PM']Oh damn! I would LOVE to play in a Dio tribute act![/quote]

Now THAT is the reaction I am getting from everybody.
There is a club in the South West that saw my ad for a bassist and said... we are a club not a player... but when you get a full line up send me a link to your MySpace. That was two months ago... this week they called me and said can we book you now!

I am in Aberdare can practice in Ponty or Myrthr... where abouts are you?

Don't tell me... Glasgow!! :) Oh close... Oxford! Typical huh!?

Edited by j2112c

[quote name='j2112c' post='997333' date='Oct 22 2010, 05:36 PM']Now THAT is the reaction I am getting from everybody.
There is a club in the South West that saw my ad for a bassist and said... we are a club not a player... but when you get a full line up send me a link to your MySpace. That was two months ago... this week they called me and said can we book you now!

I am in Aberdare can practice in Ponty or Myrthr... where abouts are you?

Don't tell me... Glasgow!! :) Oh close... Oxford! Typical huh!?[/quote]

Damn, maybe one day! If you get the band off the ground and come to Oxford to play, send me a PM and I'll come see you!

[quote name='j2112c' post='996410' date='Oct 21 2010, 09:24 PM']Just saying 'Hello' to everyone on the forum. :D

I have floated about the forum past week or so as I have been looking for a bass. I am a proficient guitarist that has decided to put another string to the bow (or is that lose a string to my bow? :) ) and I plan to fast track on the bass - your help is needed! :)

I am looking for a really top quality bass and really could do with some ideas from the gang.. 4,5 or 6 string... I know a ton about guitars and the sounds they and the amps can provide, but zero about bass!
I am looking to be able to play some songs from my heroes T. M. Stevens, Jaco, Pattituci... and whisper it Mark King..

At the end of the month I will have a bass, (currently between a Yam TRB6/Warwick Streamer 4/Warwick Thumb 5) by the end of January I want to be doing Teen Town!

Bets are on to see if I can jump from guitar to bass and learn all the new techniques and get Teen Town down! :lol: :)[/quote]

if you're in cardiff pop down to Cranes and take a look at the Hudson Basses, they're active with a built in Pre-Amp / Graphic and the variety in tones is amazing, I bought one back last year and wouldn't change it for the world, talk to nick in the shop and he'll let you plug one in for a try.