Why become a member? ×

equipment insurance

jonunders

hi.

i am soon to be the proud owner of some decient bass equipment, my question is do i need to insure it seperate to my house insurance,
if so can anyone recomend good insurance companies. just joined band so hope to be gigging soon.
bass: g&l l2500
cab :bareface compact
amp: to be brought, £500-800
your help would be appreciated,
jon

Try this

[url="https://niche.endsleigh.co.uk/Musical/"]https://niche.endsleigh.co.uk/Musical/[/url]

you'll notice they also cover theft from an unattended vehicle, which sounds like a trivial/useless feature, but could prove to be a lifesaver!

They also let you specify in detail, each piece of equipment you want to insure so that you can claim back the same thing if anything does go wrong :)

It actually depends on what you use your gear for and what the value is. It's always worth checking with your individual home insurance policy. If you are making any money from music then most will [b]not[/b] pay out.

I think it's worth having a policy if you gig reguarly. I too use [url="http://www.musicguard.co.uk"]http://www.musicguard.co.uk[/url] but I've never made a claim so can't tell you if they are any good.

[quote name='Norris' post='995164' date='Oct 20 2010, 06:12 PM']Apparently MU are good for insurance ... [url="http://www.musiciansunion.org.uk"]http://www.musiciansunion.org.uk[/url][/quote]

I was with MusicGuard for a lot of years and have recently joined the Musicians Union. When you join the MU you get £2000 worth on Insurance free included (You will get information on how to apply for it). The insurance covers anywhere in the world.

If you require enhanced cover (i.e. you own more than £2k worth of gear) a direct comparison gave me a cheaper quote from the MU Vs Musicguard. However, check the FAQ's to see which cover wil suit you best! MusicGuard were always very helpful and I only stopped using them because the MU Insurance was included with my subscription.

The M.U so far have been brilliant in supporting me as a musician.

If you're gigging you really ought to have specific insurance.

MusicGuard (and I suspect all the other companies mentioned in this thread) will give much wider cover than your household insurance is likley to provide. My cover, for example, covers theft from my car, theft or damage to equiplment at a gig etc. But it also provides public liability insurance.

Some musicians seem to question why they need public liability cover, but it is essential if you're gigging. For example, if a member of the public is seriously injured at a gig by your equipment, falling over a lead, a fault in your amp causes a fire etc. Those sorts of claims often run into tens of thousands (and in rare cases millions) of pounds. The venue's public liability insurance may cover the claim, but the venue's insurer can (and often will) seek to recover from you or your band if it was your negligence which caused the accident/damage. I'm an insurance lawyer by day, and I see far too many claims of that type where people are inadequately covered.

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='simon1964' post='996221' date='Oct 21 2010, 06:14 PM']Some musicians seem to question why they need public liability cover, but it is essential if you're gigging. For example, if a member of the public is seriously injured at a gig by your equipment, falling over a lead, a fault in your amp causes a fire etc. Those sorts of claims often run into tens of thousands (and in rare cases millions) of pounds. The venue's public liability insurance may cover the claim, but the venue's insurer can (and often will) seek to recover from you or your band if it was your negligence which caused the accident/damage. I'm an insurance lawyer by day, and I see far too many claims of that type where people are inadequately covered.[/quote]

Great to have some feedback from the industry, thanks Simon!

I've been looking at this recently. Basses, amps and cabs come to about £8500, with about half of that going to a gig at anyone one time (This does not include my pedalboard). Endsleigh's quote is by far the cheapest for my requirement, but its a shame they one do one of payments rather than the monthly direct debit…

Edited by pantherairsoft

[quote name='jonunders' post='995137' date='Oct 20 2010, 05:43 PM']hi.

i am soon to be the proud owner of some decient bass equipment, my question is do i need to insure it seperate to my house insurance,
if so can anyone recomend good insurance companies. just joined band so hope to be gigging soon.
bass: g&l l2500
cab :bareface compact
amp: to be brought, £500-800
your help would be appreciated,
jon[/quote]

Joining the MU gets you public liability insurance.
Victor C Knight up in north London seem to do a pretty good rate for music equipment.
(Hope I haven't repeated anything here).

thanks for all your replies. i have looked at the suggested list of insurers and found their quotes to be reasonable.
do i have to be a full time musician to be in the musicians union and whats the minimum liability cover, how much have you got?

Edited by jonunders

[quote name='dood' post='996377' date='Oct 21 2010, 08:54 PM']Yup I have 10 million pounds worth of free cover included.[/quote]

This would be dangerous for me.

Everytime anyone shifty/drunk/moronic went near my gear I'd just be thinking 'It's alright if there's an "accident", the MU Public Liability will cover it :D'