Why become a member? ×

The never ending quest for the lowest possible action

CHRISDABASS

[quote name='Chris2112' post='994967' date='Oct 20 2010, 03:43 PM']Like here we have a video of a lovely Status S2 classic and it just sounds like a load of crap because the strings are buzzing and clacking off the frets. If the action were raised a tiny bit it would sound so much better![/quote]

It's funny you mention that... I've come to associate that buzzing and clacking with being the "signature" sound of Status... which probably isn't true in the slightest!

I kinda feel the same with the Stingray - the signature "click" of the strings against the pickup.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='994967' date='Oct 20 2010, 03:43 PM']I generally don't like it so low that it's flapping and creating buzz. A little bit of tension can be nice to help you get those finger funk lines grooving!

Like here we have a video of a lovely Status S2 classic and it just sounds like a load of crap because the strings are buzzing and clacking off the frets. If the action were raised a tiny bit it would sound so much better![/quote]

A lot of that fret noise and clack is acoustic and wouldn't be heard at gig volume, but it does indicate that the action is set too low - which will inevitably result in loss of tone and sustain.

Just because the action [i]can[/i] go low, doesn't mean it [i]should[/i]!

I'm another heavy-handed player, so I tend to have the action on the high side. But it's an interesting point that people have raised about the amplification that you have played through. As I guess most of us started on small and low powered amps, does that cause you to dig in more while you are still learning? Does that then become part of your technique? I'm guessing that it does.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='995370' date='Oct 20 2010, 10:02 PM']:) Still, better to find out now than when you're trying to judge whether you can make the leap over a 200ft george filled with ravenous alligators. With lasers on their heads.[/quote]

I think that most of us would be able to estimate that 200ft was rather too far to jump - alligators or not! :)

Besides, who's this George of which you speak? :lol:

Just to buck the trend, recently I've realised I far prefer a nice clanky low-action fretted tone. 90% of it gets lost in the mix and you're left with something with a bit of character, that when you dig in can really jump out. I love the way that on a jazz bass with a low action you can just go beyond a certain point and bang! It's there in your face. With a high action I find the bass just gets lost. Good for P-bass rock tones, bloody rubbish for funk and fusion. But if you play with a pick or just play really hard all the time, then I guess a high action is preferable.

EDIT: Also I've just realised that where I pluck the string makes a huge difference with respect to where the action should be set.

Edited by LawrenceH

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='995813' date='Oct 21 2010, 12:22 PM']Yeah the status graphite basses get mental low action!

The B-1 Buzzard (anyone one here who has one confirm?) could get crazy low action, like down to 1mm is what i was told!

Pub rumours and such like :)[/quote]

That isn't a rumour, it's a fact. The action on my buzzard is 0.8mm at the 12th fret. It makes it so amazingly easy to play tapping and such like it's just brilliant. When I got it (September 2005) Rob Green had it set at about 3mm, which was just too high for me to do some of that stuff, so I got it lowered somewhat. My 8 string had to be lowered as that (when high) is a nightmare to play as it just cuts your left hand up something rotten pushing down 2 strings at a time. It's now so low I can do tapping on that as well.

There are of course plus points for both schools of thought, as one of my mates just can't play any of my basses as the action is too low for him. By the same token I think his is much too high. Depends what you like.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' post='996482' date='Oct 21 2010, 10:42 PM']That isn't a rumour, it's a fact. The action on my buzzard is 0.8mm at the 12th fret. It makes it so amazingly easy to play tapping and such like it's just brilliant. When I got it (September 2005) Rob Green had it set at about 3mm, which was just too high for me to do some of that stuff, so I got it lowered somewhat. My 8 string had to be lowered as that (when high) is a nightmare to play as it just cuts your left hand up something rotten pushing down 2 strings at a time. It's now so low I can do tapping on that as well.

There are of course plus points for both schools of thought, as one of my mates just can't play any of my basses as the action is too low for him. By the same token I think his is much too high. Depends what you like.[/quote]

Woah! Must be a dream to play!

Last night was the first gig with higher action!

I really missed the way that a little fret buzz cuts through the mix!!

Bugger!! Looks like im gonna have to ignore how my bass sounds unplugged from now on, which i guess makes sense as i'll never play an acoustic set with and electric bass! Haha

Back to low action again!! :)

My SR5's action is low, very low. It's almost impossible to play unplugged but when i connect it to an amp all that buzzing goes away and a realy great sound apears! No problems with slap. This is the SR's personality and unique feature!
My TRB has a tiny bit more action because it's more sensible than the SR5 (due to the piezzo) but it's still very low. In that bass any buzzing will come out on the amp so this one is setup so it has a clean sound when played unplugged. It's my main bass and the one i use for home practise (like Clarky i play with the bass disconnected).

I can't play a high action, i'm a light handed player and i find that having low actions gets your playing easier. It's just a question of finding the sweet spot for each bass. I don't know the height of my actions nor i guide myself for any when i'm setuping my basses, i just go for what feels right for it and for me.
I take down the underpowered amp theory, i played only with a TE Boxer 15W for the first 5 years of my bass playing life and i'm realy very light-handed!

I think it's plausible to admit that light-handed fingerstyle players go for a fairly low actions as diggers with/out pick need a very high action to achieve the best tone possible.
In the end it's all a mather of taste and personal preference (like buying a new set of strings) :)