Why become a member? ×

78 Precision - SOLD

Thornybank

Friend is selling his 78 Precision (Serial S88xxxx). Sunburst, not too heavy - but... cosmetic issues.

The usual late 70s finish stuff was his cue to get out the wire wool and start a home relic job. Pity, really, but nothing too huge. My tech reckons a few hours with finer stuff would give a clean look. There is a patch of gone finish at one spot on the back of the neck behind the first fret. Looks funky now, but manageable with many careful applications of superglue over a few of weeks.

So.... he has his feet on the ground about this. I reckon all tidied and sorted it would be a shop price £799 bass giving him £675 after commission. But needs all that care.

£575 caseless?

I expect there to be copious demand for photos. I can email to PMs, but I am dogged if I can figure out how to post them up here....
...any clues? :)

Edited by Thornybank

Hi, all.

Many and various pics are now in the phone and all ready to download.
Cheers for the methodology statement from Jase.

The wee man has decided to initiate a 3Gig games download today and I am USB port challenged - would have to disconnect to upload from camera.

Will get 'em up as soon as can....

Chris

[attachment=4495:front.jpg][attachment=4493:face_1.jpg][attachment=4494:face_2.jpg][attachment=4496:
upper_back.jpg][attachment=4490:back_of_neck.jpg][attachment=4489:back_of_hstock.jpg][attachment=4492
:edge_1.jpg][attachment=4491:board_edge.jpg][attachment=4496:upper_back.jpg]

The price is fairly decent and as long as it sounds and plays ok, this should sell very easily. I prefer natural basses anyway, so this would be ideal as a refin project. As I say, the price is fairly decent, but no quite low enough to justify being a project. cough ahem, hint :)

[quote name='Thornybank' post='112807' date='Jan 3 2008, 12:10 PM']£575 caseless?[/quote]

I have to say I bought a '78 Precision in very good order for £510 about 2 years ago...

I know that prices have risen a fair bit since then, but this one should be under £500?

Because after refinishing etc. etc. this bass will be just that - a refinished Fender.

Just my 2 cents :)

Edited by David Nimrod

[quote name='Chopthebass' post='113084' date='Jan 3 2008, 06:06 PM']Hey Mr Nimrod - I just checked out your photo website. Wow. Some fantastic pics there. Particlarly the B&W ones.[/quote]

Yeah amazing photography

Sorry for Hi-jacking your thread Thornybank

Edited by PaulMartin

I think this is a decent price for this bass, Get it proffesionaly stripped and refinished and you've got the sound and playability of a vintage fender with a nice new coat of paint, I know people will say its a refin but at the end of the day its still a vintage fender, refin or not.

More detail photos. Hope these help. Apologies on behalf of Motorola for kwalitee.
Ref. comments on values - two years ago - up here, anyway - PBasses were a snooze - it was all Rics. This would have been a £500 shop price sleeper.
Just now, the West of Scotland is big on "Precisions with attitude" so shop on this one tidied - not fully refinned - would be £750+.
It might not be everyone's first choice, but someone would go nuts for its shock treatment history....
The scariest looking bit is the finish crack at the back of the neck - looks like a wood split - but is not.
None of the neck edge wear "feels" when playing.
[attachment=4572:edge_of_hs_detail.jpg]
[attachment=4574:hs_back_detail.jpg]
[attachment=4573:end_of_h...e_detail.jpg]
[attachment=4581:wear_bel...o_detail.jpg]
[attachment=4577:nut_detail.jpg]
[attachment=4579:shiny_tuners.jpg]
[attachment=4580:wear_alo...detail_1.jpg]
[attachment=4576:neck_wear_detail_2.jpg]