Why become a member? ×

1967 Gibson EB-2D

magicmarco

Hi all,

Does anyone know what this guitar would be worth roughly? It is a 1967 Gibson EB-2D in perfect working order with its original hardcase. Approx 15 years ago the back of the headstock craked but it did not affect the verve of the wood and was professionally repaired. It has played fine ever since.

Reason I ask is that I am thinking of buying it but not sure of its value. Would appreciate any input

Thanks

Edited by magicmarco

[quote name='magicmarco' post='989605' date='Oct 15 2010, 07:57 PM']Hi all,

Does anyone know what this guitar would be worth roughly? It is a 1967 Gibson EB-2D in perfect working order with its original hardcase. Approx 15 years ago the back of the headstock craked but it did not affect the verve of the wood and was professionally repaired. It has played fine ever since.

Reason I ask is that I am thinking of buying it but not sure of its value. Would appreciate any input

Thanks[/quote]

Is the current owner Ken bass player with the PMM...???

[quote name='magicmarco' post='989632' date='Oct 15 2010, 08:24 PM']Hi, not Ken, PMM?[/quote]
If you are happy the repair is a good un dont let it put you off,,think 1/2 the price of a good un,,However I beleive Ken has Pete Torks genuine 66 Epi without any repairs for £650 ish...If of any interest I will forward you his details
T

[quote name='tino' post='989643' date='Oct 15 2010, 08:52 PM']If you are happy the repair is a good un dont let it put you off,,think 1/2 the price of a good un,,However I beleive Ken has Pete Torks genuine 66 Epi without any repairs for £650 ish...If of any interest I will forward you his details
T[/quote]

PM'd

[quote name='magicmarco' post='989605' date='Oct 15 2010, 08:57 PM']Hi all,

Thanks[/quote]

I was looking at these and US Epi Rivolis a year or two back - they were going for around a grand to fifteen hundred (UK pounds) at the time, depending on condition. They've never reached the lofty heights of Fenders but they've never gone for peanuts either. The 2D was usually up nearer the higher end for obvious reasons of rarity and usability. The repair in the picture doesn't look especially 'pro' but if it's lasted for 15 years then it should last that again.

If you are offered a genuine EB-2 in good, original nick for £650 just buy it - I would......

[quote name='magicmarco' post='989605' date='Oct 15 2010, 07:57 PM']Hi all,

Thanks[/quote]
I seen this on GT London....look at the glue thats last weeks glue not 15 years of age..the break still looks very clean.offer the geezer £600 tops....its nice but not that nice

[quote name='tino' post='989674' date='Oct 15 2010, 09:28 PM']I seen this on GT London....look at the glue thats last weeks glue not 15 years of age..the break still looks very clean.offer the geezer £600 tops....its nice but not that nice[/quote]

Thanks for knowledge. I will do just that!!

[quote name='magicmarco' post='989681' date='Oct 15 2010, 09:32 PM']Thanks for knowledge. I will do just that!![/quote]
Kens is the 66 Epi Rivoli....NO FAULTS but has Peter torks signature on it,,,,Ken has loads of history on the bass, himself and Peter Tork.Ken is an accomplished and highly respected musician....and on a bad day he plays bass :)
Ive bought from him no problem whatsoever..
Sorry you missed out on the gretsch

Have you played this bass?

Gibson basses are fragile and have a nasty habit of snapping at the head stock. I would only buy this bass if a luthier checks the repair. Also the E string is wound the wrong way around the tuning peg and the G string doesn't look as if it's tightened on the tuning peg. What's going on there?

[quote name='chris_b' post='989822' date='Oct 15 2010, 11:40 PM']Have you played this bass?

Gibson basses are fragile and have a nasty habit of snapping at the head stock. I would only buy this bass if a luthier checks the repair. Also the E string is wound the wrong way around the tuning peg and the G string doesn't look as if it's tightened on the tuning peg. What's going on there?[/quote]
Just a look at the join suggests its recent & no way 15 years old....I may be wrong,however if you feel this bass is for you £650 would be a fair price as this leaves enough in the pot to have a proper repair undertaken....

[quote name='chris_b' post='989805' date='Oct 15 2010, 11:29 PM']Handy hint: for half the money you can get the same sound out of a Precision by putting 2 pairs of socks under the strings.[/quote]
It so happens I have a mint condition Fender Reissue 51P tele bodied MIJ for such an amout £650 and I will throw in the socks and a hardcase

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1967-Gibson-EB-2D-Bass-Sunburst-Finish-EB2-/170555465688?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item27b5e5dfd8"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1967-Gibson-EB-2D-Ba...=item27b5e5dfd8[/url]

- same one? :)

Many years ago I had a 1958 EB2 - bought for £80 in about 1975 - very unpopular at the time. Nicely made, light and strong but I never really got a good tight tone out of it. Short scale, floppy strings, lots of bass, not a lot of punch. RS66 rotos gave it serious fret wear in a very short time. I dropped it - it fell off the strap - and bent a tuning peg, but the headstock did not snap. My feeling is that you must give these a pretty big knock to break the headstock. Before you shell out a lot of money try one out (or a Rivoli) if you can with your kit. It may work very well with modern amps / cabs. You may like it, you may not. I did not regret trading it in for a new precision in 1977.

Edited by 3below