Why become a member? ×

Another one for the Weekend

essexbasscat

Here's something a little unusual by 10cc.

It's the single that came out after Rubber Bullets and it sank like the QE2 anchor (but not before I bought a copy). It's a rather brave, quirky composition clearly shows the art of a song in development. Thank God they stopped buffing the song when they did.

This was a predecessor to some of the great melodic songs by 10cc, such as 'Life is a Minstrone', Art for Art's Sake', I'm Not in Love, I'm Mandy, Fly me' and a whole lot more I'm going to listen to after I've done this.

Just thought - this one's a bit of a polar opposite to some of the current stuff running around.

Enjoy the weekend everyone and if you're gigging, hope it's a good'n :)

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='989183' date='Oct 15 2010, 01:43 PM']Here's something a little unusual by 10cc.

It's the single that came out after Rubber Bullets and it sank like the QE2 anchor (but not before I bought a copy). It's a rather brave, quirky composition clearly shows the art of a song in development. Thank God they stopped buffing the song when they did.

This was a predecessor to some of the great melodic songs by 10cc, such as 'Life is a Minstrone', Art for Art's Sake', I'm Not in Love, I'm Mandy, Fly me' and a whole lot more I'm going to listen to after I've done this.

Just thought - this one's a bit of a polar opposite to some of the current stuff running around.

Enjoy the weekend everyone and if you're gigging, hope it's a good'n :)[/quote]
I love that track. In fact, I loved the whole 'Sheet Music' album. I loved 'Original Soundtrack' and 'How Dare You!', too.
In fact, I'm lovin' most things today! (Must be something in the water! :lol:)

I remember them many moons ago on top of the pops. I recently got the mp3 of their Best of 10cc album, never realized they had so many hits. Good stuff.

Including: Donna, Rubber Bullets, Life is a minestrone, The Dean and I, Silly love songs, The Wall Street Shuffle, Good Morning Judge, Under Your Thumb, Cry, I'm Not In Love, The Things We Do For Love, and of course last but not least the excellent [i]Dreadlock Holiday[/i]

Saw them back in 1975 ish at Leeds Uni as the original band and two drummers and they were immense.

Then saw the Graham Gouldman version around 5 years ago (no Lol Creme, Kevin thingy and the guitarist-Eric) and they were still good. Graham G played a Fender 6 on one song if I remember correctly....

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='989587' date='Oct 15 2010, 07:34 PM']Heard a while ago that 10cc were initially a team of session musicians that used to back other artists, Neil Sedaka one time amongst others[/quote]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10cc"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10cc[/url]

Fascinating story.