Why become a member? ×

Smooth topped pickup for a Stingray 5???

fretmeister

I have just acquired danweb22's lovely 'Ray 5.

I like to have pickups close to the strings and use them as a ramp. Pups with pole pieces get in the way and give me blisters! So what options for upgrades are there? EMG oinly do a 4 string, Seymours have exposed poles.

Anyone else I should be looking at, or am I going to have to cover the top in epoxy and smooth it over?

ta

MM pups actually come out of the plastic casings quite easily. You could just drop them out and fit spacers (blu-tac comes to mind as that's what I have in mine just to stop them dropping out when I'm fiddling with it but you could use double-sided sticky foam pads for extra depth) between the pups and the casing and that way you retain the original tone plus it is reversible should you want to move the bass on.
I saw that bass advertised - bargain. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='987931' date='Oct 14 2010, 12:14 PM']MM pups actually come out of the plastic casings quite easily. You could just drop them out and fit spacers (blu-tac comes to mind as that's what I have in mine just to stop them dropping out when I'm fiddling with it but you could use double-sided sticky foam pads for extra depth) between the pups and the casing and that way you retain the original tone plus it is reversible should you want to move the bass on.
I saw that bass advertised - bargain. :)[/quote]

What a genius idea!!! I actually have a load of little rubber feet that I've taken off pedals over the years. They would be perfect!

The bass was indeed a bargain. I was surprised I got in first. It is really in "as new" condition. Ok - someone has put over head power lines on it instead of actual strings, but that is easily sorted! :lol:

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='989477' date='Oct 15 2010, 05:45 PM']iirc the covers dont come off the 5 string pups. will need to check mine to be sure

beautiful bass btw,I would have loved this and bought it if I had seen it sooner[/quote]
Ah fair point. I've only ever had 4 stringers.

[quote name='yorick' post='988804' date='Oct 15 2010, 08:58 AM']Bartolini?[/quote]

Aye, Bartolini definitely do for the 4 string, and they make [url="http://www.bartolini.net/information/bass/new_bass_pu_s5.htm"]this[/url] one for the 5, although I couldn't see if the pole-pieces were exposed or not. Given the other one isn't, however, it's unlikely...