Why become a member? ×

How much would you pay for a 70's Jazz body?

umcoo

Hi all,

I'm looking at hopefully picking up a Jazz body from the 70's at some point soon. Can anyone give me a guide price to how much you would pay? Anything I should look out for? Weight, refinish...do these things affect its value if it's just a body and not a whole bass?

Cheers in advance

Not a lot, to be honest. Generally poorly routed, overly heavy and chances are you're going to have to butcher your neck or the body to convert three bolt system to four or vice-versa.

A refin will affect the value for sure, but since it's just the body you're not exactly dealing with an all-original specimen anyway, but there's no hard and fast rules when it comes to the value of old Fenders, seemingly anything goes.

Honestly, I don't want to poo-poo on your parade but I'm mystified why anyone would actively seek out a body from that era. I used to have a 70's J and the pickup routes were frankly embarassing, I would also recommend you test whatever neck you're planning on using for neck pocket fit before you purchase, too, don't buy yourself a problem.

A modern J body will probably be more cost effective and better quality. I wouldn't pay real money for one unless I could hold it (weight) and try the intended neck for a good fit, and even then it would have to be just the right finish...and then I'd start haggling. Many UK luthiers could supply a good one with your preferred finish etc.

There's one on Ebay that took my fancy as I'm looking for a 'well-worn' body with 70's spacing. I'm not really keen on 'relicing' a new body. The body has a BIN of 595 which is....slightly more than I'm looking to spend, so just seeing what the consensus is. Thanks again for suggestions so far.

If you have all the other bits and want to put together a Jazz made of only 70's bits, so you have an 'authentic' 70's Jazz, then fair enough. If you only want a 70's style jazz body that's worn, there are other cheaper ways. At 595 BIN, you'd be better of buying a complete S/H relic'ed Jazz.

I was wanting to make a bit of a frankenstein based on the Weezer bassists' bass, which hyad a black 70's body. I have pickups and other bits, but not the neck just yet. The one on ebay looks ideal, but as I said, slightly more than I'd like to pay.

I checked out Warmoth and by the time I've got the 70's spacing and the finish, and shipping and customs, it's getting quite expensive. The guy on ebay has 'best offer' available, might shoot him £100 and hope for the best! :)

Do you a want 70's J for the different 70's bridge pup position or just because it's from that era?

Btw I bought a '78 P body for £35... admittedly it turned out to have a bloody great neck humbucker rout added at some point in time which had been filled with cataloy and will now have to be dealt with by me.

edit : Ah posted just before me - you want the 70's spacing then. :)

Edited by Ou7shined

If you're mainly after the 70s spacing then you could probably get a US75RI or a MIM 70s for a lot cheaper (try US ebay there's normally one or two), though obviously that wouldn't have the relicing. But otherwise going by the ebay prices on those things, you really are better off buying a whole one and then selling the parts separately! Though that would be a shame.

I own 2 Fender Precision bass bodies as well as a 1978 proper full bass. The going rate on EBay seems to be about $500 but these are the ones that constantly get relisted. Rerouting is common for different pickup configurations as was the fashion back then but a lot of this will be hidden under the pickguard. I reckon there are a fair few bargains out there and with a bit of hunting £150 seems a fair deal.

Thanks folks. I did consider the MIM 70's reissue thing, but if I'm honest, I guess there is something about owning a 'vintage' bit of kit. I also agree that buying a 70's jazz just to rip it apart and flog the rest of it doesn't really seem kosher. This has given me some food for thought though...cheers.

The search continues...